Forum Member

Default New technology for you gun nuts

I was watching Future Weapons on TV last night and they were discussing a new weapon system called Metal Storm. It can fire "smaller" caliber rounds at the rate of over 1,000,000 rounds per minute and can fire 40mm grenades at 250,000 rounds per minute. The handgun version fires 3 rounds before the recoil even moves the weapon and it has 4 barrels. The secret is in the fact that the only moving part is the round itself, so they are able to load the rounds right behind each other in the barrel (separated only by a thin layer of propellant). The rounds are individually fired by an electronic signal sent down the barrel. It is some pretty impressive technology, and it is even rumored that they are trying to adapt it to firefighting. I guess if you load 40mm grenades with fire suppressing agents and shoot 250,000 of them at a fire you could probably get a quick stop on the fire. There are some links below if anyone is interested. Unfortunately the wife already told me not to even dream of asking for one for Christmas.

Metal Storm Company Site

Another website about Metal Storm

PKFPD
    IACOJ and proud of it

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.

MembersZone Subscriber

That Metal Storm has been under development for a few years. There is a cheesy animated video showing a modified fire engine launching agent into a building.

Nice military applications, although reloads are an issue. Would be great as a Chaff launcher, or close range defensive weapon. Probably too expensive for any serious firefighting consideration though. Water and hose is cheap.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Forum Member

Eh, I'll take my pistols any day of the week over that.

Instead of having 3 rounds going downrange if my aim is off, I only have one.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Forum Member

That's true, aim right the first time you don't need 1,000,000 rounds per minute. But I must admit, I did find the technology interesting.

PKFPD
    IACOJ and proud of it

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.

Forum Member

Neat idea, probably a shock and awe effect weapon, in other words let other countries know we have it and perhaps they will think twice before they mess with us. I am not sure exactly the need for a weapon with that kinda fire power other than maybe fixed defensive positions. The key to firefights is making use of ammo as effeciently as possible, that is contradictory to the purpose of this weapon. If you can fire every round you are carrying in a quarter second then you are not going to last very long in that firefight. Just seems like one of those "oh cool you spent $1,000,000 on a gun that really serves no realistic value? Ok im gonna go get in my humvee that doesn't have any armor because of the money you needed for that cool gun".

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by 38ffems
    Neat idea, probably a shock and awe effect weapon, in other words let other countries know we have it and perhaps they will think twice before they mess with us. I am not sure exactly the need for a weapon with that kinda fire power other than maybe fixed defensive positions.
    You are right that the application is limited, but there is definitely application out there. The benefits are no moving parts, extreme rate of fire, light weight, and caseless ammunition. These units can place larger caliber shells on a smaller chassis like an autonomous ATV.

I see the biggest application in defensive roles, and this could shrink the size of a CIWS/Phalanx type missle & aircraft defense system to sizes that can be fitted on medium patrol boats and even mobile armor. When combined with a radar system, they can automatically defend against anti armor missiles and the like. Since the barrels can be stacked, you can get a better spread and more efficient flack distribution.

And FYI, it's an Aussie Toy, with some US research sponsorship now.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 38ffems
    Ok im gonna go get in my humvee that doesn't have any armor because of the money you needed for that cool gun".
    HMMWVs were never really designed to be armored. A fact that is heavily overlooked by many - especially politicians.

It is a utility vehicle, to carry out a few types of activities, hence the very small engine with a very low horsepower. Not meant to carry another 1,000 pounds of armor.

Sorry to get off track. It is just a pet peeve of mine.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

MembersZone Subscriber

We see the same arguement up here Sharkie, except our old Iltis was no more than a 4cyl Volkswagon, and any attempts to up-armor it rendered it totally useless.

The expensive guns mean you don't get enough Strikers/LAV's/Bradleys or various other APC's.

IACOJ

Forum Member

Our army is getting these 'Bushmasters' that look pretty promising.
    Heres a quote from wikipedia on it:
    The Bushmaster is a mine protected vehicle and apparently provides a high degree of protection against land mines. The vehicle's armour provides protection against small arms of up to 7.62mm calibre.
    Its not too heavily armoured because we have our ASLAVS for that.
    If you want to read up more on it heres the wikipedia link or just google it.
    Wikipedia
    "There are only two things that i know are infinite, the universe and human stupidity. And im not so sure about the former."

For all the life of me, i cant see a firefighter going to hell. At least not for very long. We would end up putting out all the fires and annoying the devil too much.

Thread Information