Thread: Front Springs

Forum Member

Default Front Springs

My Dept has 20 vehicles which includes heavy apparatus and utility vehicles. All heavy apparatus with the exception of one reserve engine are Pierce. Within the last year we had to replace leaf springs on 2 engines and the Tower. All are Dash Cabs. The tower and one engine are 2000 models and the other engine is a 2001. The tower had 12000 miles on it. It broke both sides. I know of two other Pierce towers that were built between my three trucks, that came up with broken leafs. At the most 1 of the engines might have 35000 miles on it and ti was the newest one.

I have several questions ---
    How many leafs springs do other depts break ??
    Is it unreasonable to expect springs to last longer than 12000 miles ? Even though the truck is six years old ??
    Has any other department had this problem with Pierce trucks of the age & model ?

MembersZone Subscriber

What are your streets like? Are the all paved? We have broken/sagged springs on most of our apparatus.... Our roads are crap.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mweber3
    My Dept has 20 vehicles which includes heavy apparatus and utility vehicles. All heavy apparatus with the exception of one reserve engine are Pierce. Within the last year we had to replace leaf springs on 2 engines and the Tower. All are Dash Cabs. The tower and one engine are 2000 models and the other engine is a 2001. The tower had 12000 miles on it. It broke both sides. I know of two other Pierce towers that were built between my three trucks, that came up with broken leafs. At the most 1 of the engines might have 35000 miles on it and ti was the newest one.

I have several questions ---
    How many leafs springs do other depts break ??
    Is it unreasonable to expect springs to last longer than 12000 miles ? Even though the truck is six years old ??
    Has any other department had this problem with Pierce trucks of the age & model ?
    I am no expert, however, springs can break due to poor road conditions. Loaded trucks hitting very rough railroad tracks, deep potholes etc can do damage. Especially if it is done in a response, that rough spot might not get slowed down for. Do this multiple times.... who knows.

MembersZone Subscriber

sounds like a bad batch of springs
    engine 163 to command .. tell engine 165 we got it they can take up and return

engine163 to county fire SEND ME EVERYTHING

Forum Member

We are in Western Harris County just west of Houston. As for our road conditions, i'd have to say they are better than average. Sure there is a bump here and there, but overall the roads are great. There are no Dirt roads

MembersZone Subscriber

It is pretty common to have leaf springs break or even shift. I know several of our apparatus have had issues with it. Having to go over small curbs, crappy streets, etc, all plays into it. It definitely is not manufacturer specific though because we have a bunch of (un)Quality engines with problems.

Forum Member

mweber, have you weighed the vehicles by axle? If you haven't, then do so. Find a trucking company that has axle scales and see if they won't let you use them. Don't go use a platform scale that's designed to weigh for gross weight only. Hanging on one end or the other doesn't produce an accurate axle weight. If you can't find a trucking company that can accomodate you, go to a truck stop that has a CAT scale. There, the scale is divided into several platforms. You set the steer axle on one and the drive on another. If you have a tractor drawn aerial, you can set the tiller on the trailer platform. It will give you all of the axle weights and a certified gross at one shot. I know that there are truck stops near you that have that kind of scale. Petro truck stops have them, but they used to have their own name on them. They're just as good. Unless you can talk the truck stop into a freebie, it will cost something to do it. The last time I went to Bordentown, N.J., it was $7. But that's been several years.

After getting the vehicles weighed, compare that with the FMVSS certification label. More often than not, it's on a door post or on a cab wall. Also, get under the truck, scrape the grease off of the plate on the axles, and see what they say.

Try also to determine exactly what springs (make and model) are being used, and look them up. Go on the spring manufacturer's web site, or get a truck parts store to look them up for you. I know of at least one case where an engine's steer axle was rated for 14,000 lbs. but the springs were only 13,000. The actual weight on the springs was 13,200. If you have a good truck spring shop in your area (I know you do), maybe they can help you with this. In fact, maybe they can be a good resource for assistance in solving your problem. I can give you some more details, even find you some good resources if you want to contact me directly. I do have some trucking industry contacts in and around Houston. chiefengineer11@earthlink.net

Stay safe out there, everyone goes home!
    Last edited by chiefengineer11; 08-24-2006 at 02:05 AM. Reason: Addtional info

Thread Information