Thread: Coast Guard

Forum Member

Default Coast Guard

Does anyone have any expierences as an FF coastie? Good/bad, whatever, justlooking for some input.

Forum Member

Never had one at our Coast Guard Station. They usually call us when there is a fire.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

for large bases like ISCs, some have there own FD, that and airstations/facilities.

Forum Member

Have a good friend at Kodiak. He seems to love it..

Forum Member

The two major Coast Guard FD's are at TRACEN Cape May and the Baltimore Yard. The CG has been trending away from Structural FD's with most being disbanded over recent years. Gov. Island was one of the last major ones and that was turned over to the FDNY when the CG left there in the late 90's. Though Rumor has it the CG willbe taking over the Otis FD when the Air Guard pulls out of there in the next few years. On a military end, the CGFD is a extremely desirable billet for DC's with very high competition for jobs.

Forum Member

There are 5 Coast Guard Fire Departments (all risk).
    Petaluma, CA.
    Kodiak, AK.
    Cape May, NJ.
    Elizabeth City, NC.
    Cape Cod, MASS.
    Baltimore Training Center runs part time. 8 Hr Shifts basically. Kodiak is the biggest with 2 stations. All five of those are civilian except for Cape May ( Chief's are civilian) and some at Cape Cod. Coast Guard Petaluma Fire Department runs auto aid with surrounding Dept. and go up and down the state on mutual aid Strike Teams. They run good calls. Cape May is similiar to them. It will not be long that the two dept.( Cape May and Cape Cod will go all civilian.

Forum Member

Default otis

the cg runs ems there dont they? ive seen a uscg ambulance. anyone serve with otis fd and therir massive breakers.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default uscg fd

my husband was stationed at the cg firehouse at tracen. he reallyed loved it and met a lot of great people. i think it will be all civilian before too long. that's why he left the cg.

MembersZone Subscriber

Question Cgfd Poc

Speaking of Coast Guard firehouses, does anybody know who I can contact for a t-shirt? I was active duty in the CG for four years and am now a career firefighter. I've always wanted a cgfd t-shirt. Any Ideas who to call?

Thanks.

Forum Member

Default TRACEN Petaluma FD

I am a cop at TRACEN Petaluma. The fire dept. is small, but it is pretty nice. It's paid guys are all civilian, but they are backed by CG auxillarists (sp?). Everyone there seems to like it, but the only downside they run less calls then city depts. (duh). They run mostly medical aids, and vehicle accidents. We are in a rural area, so when they have an vehicle accident, they are usually pretty bad. They also do strike teams during wildland season. They have a type 1 engine, a wildland engine, a tender, and a Dodge Ram rescue truck. We do auto aid to most of the surrounding areas, which are mostly volunteer depts.

Any more ?s let me know

Forum Member

Default websites

any of these stations have web site? Also, Otis just got a new stryker, so I am crious on when they pull out, as I doubt the cg will have mcuh need for that much ARFF.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Cgfd Lpo

I am the Lead Petty Officer (DC1) currently assigned to the Coast Guard Fire Department in Cape May NJ. We have 18 personnel:

1-civilian Fire Chief
    2- civilian (GS-11) Assistant Fire Chiefs
    2-civilian (GS-7) Firefighter/Driver-operators
    1-DC1
    1-DC2
    8-DC3s
    3-FN

We primarily run a fully staffed engine (2006 Pierce Enforcer). We can also staff our 1995 Pierce Dash walk-in Rescue. Our primary responses are on the facility but we run alot of mutual aid to the City of Cape May, West Cape may, Lower Township, and Wildwood Crest. the Department generates approximately 1400 calls a year on average. if you have interest in T-shirts, please give me a call at 610-496-9247.
    Last edited by Waterboy54; 11-20-2006 at 02:48 PM.

Forum Member

Default apparatus

do you have any pictures of your unit? just curious to what they look like. Slash down the side?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Cgfd

Sorry ski, they are all red trucks. we have an old site with the trucks on it, but not the new Enforcer. ill have to post some pics

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Waterboy54 View Post
    I am the Lead Petty Officer (DC1) currently assigned to the Coast Guard Fire Department in Cape May NJ. We have 18 personnel:

1-civilian Fire Chief
    2- civilian (GS-11) Assistant Fire Chiefs
    2-civilian (GS-7) Firefighter/Driver-operators
    1-DC1
    1-DC2
    8-DC3s
    3-FN

We primarily run a fully staffed engine (2006 Pierce Enforcer). We can also staff our 1995 Pierce Dash walk-in Rescue. Our primary responses are on the facility but we run alot of mutual aid to the City of Cape May, West Cape may, Lower Township, and Wildwood Crest. the Department generates approximately 1400 calls a year on average. if you have interest in T-shirts, please give me a call at 610-496-9247.
    Hey just wondering how can you find out about job opening when they come up? also if you would be willing to trade t-shirts im now working in Iraq as a civilian firefighter for the army

Forum Member

I'm a civilian firefighter at Elizabeth City Air Station NC.

Thread Information