Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default TAC STICK voltage detectors

Looking for info on TAC STICK voltage detectors.

I did a search, and the last time the topic was discussed on these forums was back in í02. Iím looking for any current experience with them. The Tac Stick is a specific voltage detector; we would like to hear of any recent experience with any brand/make of AC voltage detector.

From what I can gather so far, they seem to be a worthwhile piece of equipment, but only if coupled with a good SOG/SOP to use it as a back-up means for confirmation of a load being de-energized.

Do you have one?
    Do you use it?
    Do you have any specific rules as far as relying on information obtained with the detector?
    Are they a calibration nightmare? High maintenance?

Thanks for any info.

MembersZone Subscriber

We use TAC stick by wilburt as a back up to make sure a line is de energized
    and to look for hidden dangers, they let us know if a line is off but untill linemen ground out the section you dont know if someone kicks a generator on in there home and reenergized that section,very easy to use only good for AC
    Last edited by captaincvfd; 11-30-2007 at 09:12 PM.

yes
    no
    no
    no , no
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber

Yes we have one. It is the Wil-Burt Tac Stick. It is not used that often but when it is it is a good tool. We do not use it for downed wires, instead we provide a safe area and wait for the Utliity company. It is good for ensuring a circuit has been isolated prior to leaving, water problems, building collapses, fences. A good general rule is to use it on High sensitivity so the littlest thing will throw a red flag at you and then you can narrow it down from there. If there is no real need for action then it is always best to lwait for the Utility company as they are the most profficient but sometimes the stick maybe all you have.
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

We use a tac stick. We have seen them give false readings on some cable lines. They usually warn of a dangerous situation but do not depend totally on the tac stick. All wires are hot untilthe utility company says they are safe. Even then don't trust downed wires.

Forum Member

Even if a downed wire is dead, what is to say it will not go hot again?

Around here the electric company's equipment automatically re-energizes wires several times to test if the fault is cleared, several minutes apart, before it finally gives up. And even then the troubleman may come out a half hour later and re-energize once more, manually. This happens quite regularly around here.

Birken

Forum Member

Never used on in a actually incident. However, one of companies across town has one and I played with it in the firehouse. When placed up to outlets and wires with known current, it activated.

As for downed electrical wires, even if is was accuarate, it wouldn't be worth the risk. As we all know, electricity is a whole other ball game.

Thread Information