Thread: tobacco testing

Forum Member

Unhappy tobacco testing

OK, I'll be brief but here's my problem. I am with a city department and am trying to move to a county dept. I used to dip but quit before I was hired. The county has a no tobacco policy. Well... about a month ago I screwed up and dipped over the weekend. If they test me do you think I am busted or what do you think I should do if anything?

Fir Na Tine

Can you clarify the "No Tobacco Use" policy? I would assume (I know, that's a dangerous thing) that it would mean while on municipal grounds (i.e. the firehouse) and not in your off-duty time. I'm not saying that a locallity wouldn't enact such a law, but I'm a bit skeptical about it though. If you're not sure, I'd ask for someone senior to clarify the policy for you.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
    -Tom Warshaw

Forum Member

Test for tobacco? Never heard of such a thing, for one thing they likely say no smoking, not no nicotine which is all that they could really test you for, so just say you chewed some gun with a friend who is quiting. Now if they see you smoking or dipping you can/should be disciplined.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyThirteen
    Can you clarify the "No Tobacco Use" policy? I would assume (I know, that's a dangerous thing) that it would mean while on municipal grounds (i.e. the firehouse) and not in your off-duty time. I'm not saying that a locallity wouldn't enact such a law, but I'm a bit skeptical about it though. If you're not sure, I'd ask for someone senior to clarify the policy for you.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
    -Tom Warshaw
    Our department says NO TOBACCO use by anyone hired after 1990something. On the job, off the job, don't matter.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

The policy is no tobacco or tobacco products, I have never heard of anyone testing for nicotine but I have to get a blood test in a week and it will be one month since i screwed up. I guess i really crapped the bed.

Fir Na Tine

Quote Originally Posted by DennisTheMenace
    Our department says NO TOBACCO use by anyone hired after 1990something. On the job, off the job, don't matter.
    Wow...like I said, I wasn't saying its not possible, just had never heard of a policy like that. Its not a bad policy though (coming from a smoker). The military is trying to do the same thing because studies have shown that alot of money is spent by DOD on health issues caused by smoking. Of course its also a readiness issue as well. If the military ever enacts that, it will certainly make it very easy to quit.

Forum Member

Angry

see heres were my problem comes in. you can regulate what happens on the fire ground and around the dept but I don't agree with them being able to regulate what goes on at home. There are not many firefighter around here that don't either smoke or dip or chew. I don't know I just don't agree with them being able to say you can't smoke

Forum Member

Hopefully you have a Union where you work.
    You should without a doubt, ask YOUR UNION REP!!!!!
    That is their job, it's part of why we pay dues.
    They will, or should, have the answer in regards to the Dept's policies, and can give you guidance.
    All else fails, admit what ya did, and take actions on your own to correct the problem- ie start a tobbaco cessation prgram, which most Dept's will pay for.
    Good Luck!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by liberty101
    The policy is no tobacco or tobacco products, I have never heard of anyone testing for nicotine but I have to get a blood test in a week and it will be one month since i screwed up. I guess i really crapped the bed.
    liberty101,
    If it has truely been a full month, you'll be alright. It takes roughly 5-10 days for the nicotine to clear your system. Don't sweat it. They actually sell stuff that will wipe away any trace in 2-3 days if you're really crunched for time.

MembersZone Subscriber

Understanding the reason for the tobacco policy is important. Since cancer is presumptious for firefighters, cities DO have the right to require their firefighters to abstain from tobacco usuage.

While you may not show positive on a medical exam (I don't know how they can check), you will fail the polygraph exam and/or the background.

Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com

Forum Member

Tell them just what you said. "I quit years ago and I happened to do it again a few weeks ago. It was a mistake, it made me sick and I will never do it again, you can make it a conditionof my employment". You haven't done illegal drugs, you took a dip. I think the truth is the best thing and I don't think they will hold it against you.

Good Luck, Capt Rob
    nrtc@sonic.net
    www.myfireinterview.com
    (707)869-1330

MembersZone Subscriber

FFighterRob said it right. Tell them ahead of time, and get into a tobacco cessasion class. If you voluntarily go into a class, 99/100 times they will support you 100% without any reprocussions. If they find out and you don't tell them, it could be you *****.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by JTFIRE80
    FFighterRob said it right. Tell them ahead of time, and get into a tobacco cessasion class. If you voluntarily go into a class, 99/100 times they will support you 100% without any reprocussions. If they find out and you don't tell them, it could be you *****.
    good advice! Honesty is the key, its not like you did acid or nething.

Thread Information