Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default 9-11 Memorial Items

I have found two commercial items I like for 9-11 memorials. I have no connection with either of the companies, just trying to spread the word about some good stuff.
    The first comes from www.thankyoublue.org-a series of the silicone rubber 'Lance Armstrong' type bracelets. There are solid red and blue as a Thank You for LOEs and firefighters; these might be purchased in bulk and used as fundraisers. My favorite is the line of bracelets for those who serve-the 'Thin Red Line' The bracelet is black and red, the color is molded in. There is a print which reads '24-7-365' which wears off fairly quickly, but the color on the bracelet itself has lasted over a year-most of our department have them and really like them. There are also two charms available to clip onto the bracelet-a Maltese cross and a 9-11 Never Forget. These have a clear covering and hold up very well. The bracelets are $5.00, the charms $1.50.
    The next item is the Flag of Heroes, a 3x5 American flag with the names of all emergency services personnel who died on 9-11 imprinted in the red stripes. The names are organized by the company each firefighter or officer served with. I plan to use the flag in our memorial services, then hang it in the firehouse. It comes from www.flagofhonor.org at $20; there are also posters and shirts with the design. Another item, the Flag of Honor, lists the names of everyone who died in the attacks.
    I hope these will help your 9-11 memorial plans. Has anyone else found something good to incorporate into our remembrances?

You might want to read this thread...

http://forums.firehouse.com/showthread.php?t=83420

The only other thing I can add is that you might not get very many positive responses.

Forum Member

LuckyThirteen-
    I ran a search on the site for 9-11 memorial threads before I made my post, but the one you directed me to did not show up. I agree with the sentiments on the thread, that most memorial items offered are strictly commercial. One reason I like the two I recommended is that both are produced by individuals, not conglomerates, and both claim to give profits to emergency charities.
    I certainly don't mean to cheapen the memory of those who fell that day-their sacrificial example is one reason I got into the fire service. My intention is to help others who may be planning meaningful memorial services around this time. As I said, I have no personal interest in these products at all. If my message offends anyone, I apologize.

MembersZone Subscriber ChiefReason's Avatar

RHB:
    I started the other thread in the Off Duty forums, because profiteers want to mine the gold surrounding the fifth "anniversary" of 9/11.
    I am guessing that those looking to purchase these items will be firefighters just getting into the service, believing that it is the right thing to do and the general public who will believe that the money is going to the many 9/11 charities.
    You might not remember, but just after 9/11, brothers and sisters from all over the world were purchasing anything that had the FDNY and NYPD logos on them, to honor the fallen and to somehow show their support for New York City.
    But those hawking their stuff on the cable channels?
    Well, it has nothing to do with honor.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

Quote Originally Posted by RHB312
    LuckyThirteen-
    I ran a search on the site for 9-11 memorial threads before I made my post, but the one you directed me to did not show up. I agree with the sentiments on the thread, that most memorial items offered are strictly commercial. One reason I like the two I recommended is that both are produced by individuals, not conglomerates, and both claim to give profits to emergency charities.
    I certainly don't mean to cheapen the memory of those who fell that day-their sacrificial example is one reason I got into the fire service. My intention is to help others who may be planning meaningful memorial services around this time. As I said, I have no personal interest in these products at all. If my message offends anyone, I apologize.
    No worries. I don't want you to think I was attacking you. Just trying to prepare you for what some of the responses may have been.
    Tom Warshaw
    Station 13 (Bethel)
    Sumter Fire Department

"Scientists believe that the world is composed mainly of hydrogen because in their opinion, it is the most abundant element. I however, feel the earth is composed mainly of stupidity, because it is more abundant than hydrogen." - Frank Zappa

September 11, 2001. We Must Never Forget.

In memory of Thomas Sabella, L-13, FDNY

All opinions stated are my own and do not reflect the opinions of my department or any organization I may belong to.

Thread Information