Thread: Hiring A Felon

Forum Member

Question Hiring A Felon

I Have A Question And Hopefully Someone Can Give Me An Answer. I Have A Felony On My Record For R.s.p ( Receving Stolen Property ) And I Wanted To Know If There Is Any Department In The U.s Of A That Would Hire Me As A Firefighter/emt? I Have Wanted To Be A Firefighter All Of My Life And I Just Got Cought Up In Some Trouble. I Was Homeless And Stayed In A Hotel Without Paying And And Then Found A Police Radio And Tryed To Sell It. Stupid Me. Well If Anyone Can Help Out A Poor Guy It Would Be Great. I Am To Start College For My Fire Science Degree But If I Will Not Be Able To Get A Job Anywhere Then I Will Not Go To College For It.

Forum Member

Most career fire departments conduct criminal background checks. The felony on your record is a giant red flag.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Default Felony

The felony is definatly a Giant red flag, howerver there a couple of other factors that MAY, and i mean MAY help you out. There are definatley no guarantees, and the deck is surely stacked against you however:

1. it may depend on how long ago it was
    2. circumstances - If, and I mean a big IF you make it to an Oral Board and explain the circumstances you have explained to us, the hiring authority may try to verify those circumstances and may give you a shot.
    3. I would be looking at extremely large departments such as FDNY, you may be more apt to "hide" in a department like that. (I am not advocating lying or anything though)
    4. How has your record been since then i.e. credit, arrests, academic etc.
    5. In theory they should be looking at the entire picture of you and if the crime was long ago and you have been on the straight and narrow since, than you may have a shot.

Like Captain Gonzo said though, it is a giant red flag I have no doubt someone may hire you somewhere, but it will take a lot of hard work, and above all you HAVE to be honest with everyone throughout the entire process. You should also check with the NREMT as many departments require EMT-B at a minimum, and I am not sure if the NREMT will allow you to be certified through them with a felony on your record.

Jon

Forum Member

Also check with the human resources department of the fire department you wish to work for. It may be a risk management issue, especially if the municipality is self-insured. Basically, does the government think it is not taking a risk by allowing you into private residences and business without supervision during an emergency operation?

I agree with everyone above to be 100% honest with what happened.

Good luck with your education.

Forum Member

Default Thanks

Well Thank You For The Help. I Guess Then Since It Will Be Such Of A Problem With My Felony On My Record Then I Guess I Will Just Let My Dreams Go And Not Waste My Time Or Any Of My Wonderful Goverments Time Or Money. This Is Supposed To Be The Greatest Place To Live And Stuff But We As A Country Will Do Nothing To Help Out Our Own People. We Would Rather Go Over Seas And Help Then Rebuild There Citys And Such When We Have Starving, Homeless People Here In America That Need Jobs. I Have Not Been Able To Get A Job Anywhere Even Mcdonalds Flipping Hamburgers Because Of My Felony. Can Not Get Any Help From The Goverment At All. Well Sorry To Bore You With My Problem.

Than K You All For Your Answers To My Question. So Much For This As A Future. I Will Cancel Classes Tomorrow.

Forum Member

Can't really say this guy would be firefighter material anyway. He gives up too easily. - - JOCKLOVER27 you need to remember that being convicted of a felony is pretty damb serious. -- Municipal employment can be hard to come buy when you're in these circumstances.

We all make mistakes in life and for that you can be forgiven but we all make choices. The choice you chose to make was receiving that stolen property and than attempting to sell it. -- Hard luck or not {And believe me I was there at one time in my life no job, no money, and wondering where my next meal was going to come from as well as my rent money} You're an adult and when you play you're eventually going to pay. At my lowest point and thank-god without committing any crimes {I don't know how} I made a choice and stopped in my tracks and jump-started my life again. I worked hard from 1995 to 2003 when I was finally able to be hired as a firefighter. You have to have a goal and work towards it everyday with out failure. -- I don't get too personal here on FH but I'm living proof that one can be at his lowest point in life and perform a complete 360. I have faith that anyone can do anything that they set their mind to - A firefighting career may not be for you but don't give up the dream of an education. Besides there are many other occupations out there that pay a hell of alot better. Good Luck to Ya' -- I wouldn't give up

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JOCKLOVER27
    Well Thank You For The Help. I Guess Then Since It Will Be Such Of A Problem With My Felony On My Record Then I Guess I Will Just Let My Dreams Go And Not Waste My Time Or Any Of My Wonderful Goverments Time Or Money. This Is Supposed To Be The Greatest Place To Live And Stuff But We As A Country Will Do Nothing To Help Out Our Own People. We Would Rather Go Over Seas And Help Then Rebuild There Citys And Such When We Have Starving, Homeless People Here In America That Need Jobs. I Have Not Been Able To Get A Job Anywhere Even Mcdonalds Flipping Hamburgers Because Of My Felony. Can Not Get Any Help From The Goverment At All. Well Sorry To Bore You With My Problem.

Than K You All For Your Answers To My Question. So Much For This As A Future. I Will Cancel Classes Tomorrow.
    Your typical. Poor me - I am a victim - blah blah blah. I worked around felons for many years on both sides of the bars -

The first time felons are in two groups -

1. Those who know the screwd up and make the best of a ****ty situation. They never give up and do whatever they need to do to show they have truly changed.

2. The pity party - they never go anywhere because they blame all their problems on everyone but who they should blame - Themselves!

You may be able to restore your rights under the law and expunge the felony depending on your details of your crime. If it is expunged - some states still require you to report on your employment application, however, having your rights restored and the felony expunged speaks volumes to those who may question your intergrity.

I know a guy who got caught transporting 100lbs of mary jane accross state lines - did his time - got out and wanted to be a Jeweler.

He had the felony expunged and he now has a job as a Jeweler at a very high end shop in Scottsdale Az.
    Warm Regards,
    Shawn Stoner
    EMT-B

MembersZone Subscriber

Yes, there are fire departments out there who hire convicted felons. I know of at least one in New York. You need to look at inner city fire departments who have a large number of minority firefighters.

Forum Member

Cry me a river pal. Your the one who did the crime, stop blaming others for your problems. Not trying to be an A-hole, but we all need to take responsiblity for our own actions.

And to answer your question, you cant even get a firefighter or EMT cert in Fla with a felony conviction. So dont bother looking down here.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

MembersZone Subscriber

In Illinois, no one who has been convicted of a felony can be on a fire department.

Forum Member

Please stop typing in all CAPS. That's why every word is starting with a capital letter.

firefighter7160
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs down Not here....

Cant even put in a application here. Must have a clean history.

www.pineblufffire.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Dave1983
    Cry me a river pal. Your the one who did the crime, stop blaming others for your problems. Not trying to be an A-hole, but we all need to take responsiblity for our own actions.

And to answer your question, you cant even get a firefighter or EMT cert in Fla with a felony conviction. So dont bother looking down here.
    Yes he did the crime, but he also did the time. Once a person pays his dues to society for the crime(s) that he commited, then he should be able to start anew. How can society really expect an ex-felon to reform his life when he can't even find work to support himself? If an ex-felon can't find decent work or a decent place to live and society just continues to give him the cold shoulder, then he's probably just going to end back up in jail.

MembersZone Subscriber

Would you have an issue if your FD hired a convicted arsonist? Suppose he did his time and wants to start anew helping people? What about a child molester working in a school system? He did his time, so shouldn't we give him a chance to become a productive member of society?

A felony conviction should bar people from certain professions such as police, fire, ems, and schools. These jobs require a higher degree of trust from the public than many other jobs. It stinks for the guy who screws up and truly wants to turn his life around, but that's the cost of commiting the crime.

The original poster stated he received and than sold stolen property. This brings up the issue of how trustworthy he would be as a member of the FD. Maybe it was a one time screw up, maybe not. Past behavior is an indicator of future behavior.

If someone had a one conviction for a minor, non-violent offense many years ago and demonstrated that he had indeed turned his life around, maybe he could be consdered for a public safety job. Lots of factors to weigh, all based on the individuals life since the conviction.
    -------------------
    "The most mediocre man or woman can suddenly seem dynamic, forceful, and decisive if he or she is mean enough." from "Crazy Bosses"
    -----------------------------------------------
    Genius has its limits, but stupidity is boundless.

Forum Member

Whangaparaoa Peninsular North Island New Zealand

Thumbs up Total agreement

Quote Originally Posted by ironmint
    How can society really expect an ex-felon to reform his life when he can't even find work to support himself? If an ex-felon can't find decent work or a decent place to live and society just continues to give him the cold shoulder, then he's probably just going to end back up in jail.
    Agree 110% with just one proviso

YOU MUST HIRE ALL THE NON CRIMS FIRST!!!!!

Forum Member

Try applying in Bridgeport, CT. Recently they fought to hire a convicted drug felon. Search the New Haven Register as they did stories on this.

Forum Member

Yes he did the crime, but he also did the time. Once a person pays his dues to society for the crime(s) that he commited, then he should be able to start anew. How can society really expect an ex-felon to reform his life when he can't even find work to support himself? If an ex-felon can't find decent work or a decent place to live and society just continues to give him the cold shoulder, then he's probably just going to end back up in jail.
    Nobody is giving him the cold shoulder - he can work at Denny's. Most cooks there have a shady past.
    Warm Regards,
    Shawn Stoner
    EMT-B

MembersZone Subscriber

There is a figure in a national organization that supports fire departments, who advises he is "retired" from a volunteer fire department.

He has major felonies, for attempting to kill two police officers (later advised he was trying to commit suicide by cop) and then for fraud. Served prison
    time.

This guy is welcomed into fire departments across the country.

Should he be associated with Fire Departments?

Bear in mind, severity of the crimes, etc. Compare it to the guy who has the charges for recieving stolen property. What about the guy who wrote some bad checks 30 years ago. What about the guy who has a felony DUI 20 years ago, but has gone clean?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FirstDueCTVol
    Try applying in Bridgeport, CT. Recently they fought to hire a convicted drug felon. Search the New Haven Register as they did stories on this.
    Or you could become a volunteer and try your hand at some arson. Couple of newspaper stories on this, too.

MembersZone Subscriber

This Is Supposed To Be The Greatest Place To Live And Stuff But We As A Country Will Do Nothing To Help Out Our Own People. We Would Rather Go Over Seas And Help Then Rebuild There Citys And Such When We Have Starving, Homeless People Here In America That Need Jobs. I Have Not Been Able To Get A Job Anywhere Even Mcdonalds Flipping Hamburgers Because Of My Felony. Can Not Get Any Help From The Goverment At All. Well Sorry To Bore You With My Problem.
    Give me a frikkin' break. I know someone who spent most of his adult life (age 27 to 54) in prison for murder... He put himself through school while in prison. He has just become an apprentice electrician. They know he is on parole. They just moved him out of a job at a school because school was going back in session - put him on another job instead.

There are consequences for things you do, no matter the circumstances that you feel led up to your actions. I don't, however, believe that you can not get a job anywhere. Surely, there's a spot for you on the WHAAAAmbulance.
    -------;- "Aaaaa!!"
    Remember - always wear your helmet around one-eyed women with pike poles

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by SSTONER
    Nobody is giving him the cold shoulder - he can work at Denny's. Most cooks there have a shady past.
    hey!!!!!!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LVFD301
    There is a figure in a national organization that supports fire departments, who advises he is "retired" from a volunteer fire department.

He has major felonies, for attempting to kill two police officers (later advised he was trying to commit suicide by cop) and then for fraud. Served prison
    time.

This guy is welcomed into fire departments across the country.

Should he be associated with Fire Departments?

Bear in mind, severity of the crimes, etc. Compare it to the guy who has the charges for recieving stolen property. What about the guy who wrote some bad checks 30 years ago. What about the guy who has a felony DUI 20 years ago, but has gone clean?
    Care to mention this person's name?
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo
    Care to mention this person's name?

No, at least not right now. People have been threatened with lawsuits
    when they do release the name. (happened to a good friend)

What does everyone think? Should it be released? Should the person
    have anything to do with the Fire Service? What about the other
    examples?

Forum Member

He did the time but I still feel that the choices he made are choices that will follow him for the rest of his life.

I Have Not Been Able To Get A Job Anywhere Even Mcdonalds Flipping Hamburgers Because Of My Felony.
    If you're having trouble landing a job flipping burgers, I don't feel the next logical thought should be "If I can't make it into McDonalds then I guess I'll just be a fireman".

Just because you have a felony on your record doesn't mean you should be forgotten about by society, but I don't think you should be given the privilege of being a Firefighter, EMT, or any public servant put in a position of trust. Firefighters, EMT's, Cops...Those are people that shouldn't have committed felonies in the past no matter what the reason or excuse.
    Marc S.
    Firefighter/Paramedic
    Solon Local 2079

(Previously posted as Hobbitt. Registered December '02,)

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey Stoner, How bout a nice cup of shut the @#*K up!

Thread Information