Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Bronx Box 2797 Collapse

Forum Member

rest in peace and may GOD be with you all

Forum Member

Only 25, but did his duty to city and country. Semper fidelis. My thoughts and prayers for the other injured brothers.

Forum Member

Rest in peace Brother...

God bless the fallen firefighter, his family, the F/Fs EMTs and ESU guys who pulled the trapped men out, his company, and the FDNY.
    Last edited by BPFire1618; 08-27-2006 at 09:48 PM.

Forum Member

I just logged on and saw this as well. My heart is in my throat but May God whatch over everybody involved and help them get through this tragic time.

Forum Member

Default Mike Reilly

A rookie New York City firefighter who served with the U.S. Marines in Iraq was killed and a veteran lieutenant critically injured Sunday after a group of firemen fell through the floor of a burning Bronx building, officials said. Firefighter Michael Reilly, 25, of Engine 75, was carrying a hose inside 1575 Walton Avenue, officials said, when the floor gave way beneath him, trapping him and four others in a cocoon of debris in the basement just before 1 p.m. Reilly, a former volunteer firefighter from Ramsey, N.J., and a Marine who fought in Operation Iraqi Freedom, was rescued from the rubble and rushed to Bronx Lebanon Hospital Center, where he was pronounced dead, officials said. Officials said Reilly apparently died from heart failure and suffered no burns in the fall.

RIP Mike....

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

Michael C. Reilly recently fulfilled his dream of becoming a firefighter. The probationary fireman from Engine Company 75 died Sunday while tackling a blaze at a 99-cents store when a floor collapsed and plunged him and four colleagues into the basement. Hundreds of firefighters were called to the one-story Bronx building around 12:30 p.m. Sunday, and five of them became trapped in the basement after the ground floor gave way.

God Rest His Sole.

ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
    FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
    "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
    *******************CLICK HERE*****************

Forum Member

Default God Bless

Take care my Brothers our prayers are with you.
    Heavy hearts in Texas

MembersZone Subscriber

RIP from your West Coast brothers..
    The good thing about this job is that we have done so much, with so little, for so long that we can do everything with nothing...... which is what is wrong with this job.
    KTF | DTRT

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Fdny Michael Reilly

This is for our brothers in the FDNY and for the guys in his house, our deepest regretes and our prayers our with you.

Forum Member

To the members of FDNY, it is sad to hear again of a loss of a brother. May god be with you in this time of sadness. May god be with the family who has suffered such a tragic loss. Our thoughts and prayers are with the families of those injured in this fire.

Rest in peace brother, you will be missed by all.

Forum Member

Our thoughts and prayers go out to the brothers and sisters of the FDNY as well as FF Reilly's family. We thank them for his dedication to our country and his passion for the service. Job well done, brother!

Engine 11
    Charlotte, NC

MembersZone Subscriber

Rest in peace brother. My prayers go out to the families of those involved.

MembersZone Subscriber

So sad for the families of the fallen and injured.
    My condolences and prayers.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

Sr. Information Officer

I pause to offer the condolences of the New Jersey Forest Fire Service and the Oakland, NJ Fire Department members. May our dear brother rest in everlasting peace. The prayers of the entire firefighting community are offered for the families and friends of those touched by this tragedy. God bless! May they all have the strength and courage to endure.

NEW YORK (AP) - A rookie firefighter died Sunday after the floor
    of a burning 99-cents store collapsed, plunging him and four
    colleagues into the basement and burying them under a mountain of
    debris.
    One of the injured firefighters was in critical condition, while
    the others were in serious but stable condition, Mayor Michael
    Bloomberg said.
    "I ask all New Yorkers to take a moment and say a prayer for
    the firefighter that we lost," said Bloomberg, who recalled
    meeting 25-year-old Michael Reilly at his graduation ceremony four
    months ago.
    Scores of firefighters were called to the Bronx blaze. The five
    got trapped after the ground floor gave way while they were
    searching for victims, Bloomberg said.
    Several injured firefighters were seen coming out of the gutted
    store, which sold discounted toiletries, kitchen supplies and
    knickknacks. About 20 were being treated for smoke inhalation.
    The fire was extinguished by Sunday evening. No cause had been
    identified, but the fire was not deemed suspicious.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Unhappy Here Too,.........

On behalf of the Officers and Members of the Glenn Dale Volunteer Fire Association, Our sincere Condolences to the Families, at home, and in the Fire service, of Firefighter Michael Reilly. May he rest in peace. We also join in prayers for the quick and full recovery of the injured Brothers.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Always a sad time when a brother perishes in the line of duty. RIP Reilly, another firefighter who joined heaven's fire brigade much too early in their life.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

MembersZone Subscriber

Very Sad.

With sincere condolences from myself, and the Altoona Fire Department, to the FDNY and the families.
    God Bless and RIP brother.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default R.I.P. Brother

TO the Fallen FF:
    Rest in Peace brother. On behalf of Riverside City Fire:Explorer Post 101, we offer our condolences. May you rest in peace with the Fallen Firefighters all over the world.

Sr. Information Officer

Default Courtesy Newsday

Erik Endress, the president of the Ramsey, N.J., Rescue Squad, where Michael Reilly joined as a volunteer in 1997, remembers a young man who knew no fear.

"After he joined us he went and served in Operation Iraqi Freedom with the Marines," Endress said. "From the moment that I met Mike he struck me right away as one of those people who are the classic firefighter types -- a guy who has very little fear, is right on the front line, itching to go into action. The first guy to say, 'Yes, I'll do it.' Those are very admirable qualities for anybody in our line of work.

"We were very happy for him when he learned he was accepted in the FDNY. It's a terrible tragedy he was taken so soon. ... I think there aren't enough people like him.

"We're dealing with a lot of very emotional people who were very close with Mike, and they're really unsure of what they're feeling. One of the that sticks out the most was a fire here in Ramsey three years ago. This was a very large house, and there was a heavy fire. And Mike and another firefighter -- they didn't hesitate at all. ... Mike was one of those people, if you wanted him not to go fight that fire, you would have to tackle him.

"I wasn't surprised at all he joined the FDNY and I'm not surprised he was in a situation where he was in danger."

Sr. Information Officer

Unhappy Courtesy NY Times

Firefighter Dies and 4 Are Hurt in Bronx Blaze
    By THOMAS J. LUECK
    Less than two months after graduating from the New York City Fire Academy, a 25-year-old firefighter was killed yesterday and four of his colleagues were seriously injured when they crashed through the collapsing floor of a burning 99-cent store in the Bronx, the authorities said.

One of the four was listed in “extremely critical” condition last night.

Witnesses and fire officials described a horrifying ordeal in which more than 100 firefighters, many of them aware that five colleagues were trapped inside, continued to battle the blaze.

The cause was under investigation, but Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg said that the fire did not appear suspicious.

The mayor spoke last night at Bronx-Lebanon Hospital Center, where Michael C. Reilly, the firefighter who was killed, was taken about 2:30 p.m., two hours after the fire erupted. He arrived with no discernible pulse or heartbeat and could not be revived, a doctor at the hospital said.

Firefighter Reilly, who lived in Sleepy Hollow in Westchester County, had worked for smaller fire departments, in Ramsey, N.J., and Stratford, Conn., and had fought fires as a Marine in Iraq.

He had just graduated from the New York City Fire Academy in early July.

Working as a New York City firefighter “was his lifelong dream,” said Ronald C. Nattrass, the fire chief in Stratford.

The fire gutted the Mega 99 store in the Mount Eden neighborhood and damaged a cellphone shop in the same single-story building.

The most seriously injured of the firefighters, Lt. Howard J. Carpluk Jr., a 20-year veteran of the department, arrived at Bronx-Lebanon in such an advanced state of heart failure that doctors said they did not expect him to survive. But his condition stabilized, and after 45 minutes of intensive treatment he was transferred for specialized cardiac care to Montefiore Medical Center in the Bronx. Lieutenant Carpluk works out of Engine Company 42. Firefighter Reilly worked for Engine Company 75.

The other three firefighters who were injured when the floor collapsed were taken to Jacobi Medical Center, where fire officials said their conditions last night were serious but stable. At least eight other firefighters were treated at Jacobi for less serious injuries and released; a total of 23 firefighters suffered some injury at the blaze, the department said.

Mayor Bloomberg talked at the hospital with Firefighter Reilly’s mother, brother and father, an accountant who the mayor said was an acquaintance.

Witnesses who looked on from a fourth-floor window directly across the street from the fire said they had seen a heavy rooftop air-conditioner fall in, with enough force to crash through the floor beneath.

One witness, Jashira Abreu, a 25-year-old medical assistant, said: “The air-conditioner went in, and then the whole ceiling went in. I was in shock because it was so surreal.”

The fire started in a back room at Mega 99, at the corner of Walton and East Mount Eden Avenues, and spread quickly, according to accounts by Mr. Bloomberg, fire officials and the owner of the convenience store, Anis Shaibi.

Mr. Shaibi, 28, said he was in the store with three employees and a customer when one of the employees yelled that flames were shooting out from the area of a refrigerator in the back of the store.

“I thought it was something small, and I got my fire extinguisher, but it got big so fast,” Mr. Shaibi said. “When I saw everything falling off the ceiling, I told everyone to leave.”

A neighbor, Caesar Bodden, 40, said Mega 99 “sold paper things, a lot of things to clean with, and a lot of flammable stuff.”

A second alarm was called in at 12:38 p.m., and by 1:07 p.m. it was a three-alarm fire, with 33 fire units ultimately summoned. By 1:30, 138 firefighters and 33 fire trucks were swarming the streets.

It was unclear when the floor collapsed. But after falling to the basement, the injured firefighters used their radios to transmit calls for help, fire officials said.

Although rescuers were able to reach and extricate three of the firefighters quickly, officials said that Firefighter Reilly and Lieutenant Carpluk were covered in debris and could not easily be reached.

Firefighters peered in from what remained of the roof, desperately battling a persistent fire in a soaking downpour.

A row of ambulances stood by to rush the firefighters less than two blocks to the emergency room at Bronx-Lebanon.

Each time rescuers emerged from the basement with one of the injured firefighters on a stretcher, a shout went out from others on the scene.

Colleagues rushed to help lift the injured into a waiting ambulance, some of them climbing in to lend support during the short ride to the emergency room.

It was 90 minutes before Firefighter Reilly and Lieutenant Carpluk could be pulled out, fire officials said.

The fire kept burning for more than four hours and was finally declared under control at 4:43.

The other seriously injured firefighters were identified as Battalion Chief Thomas W. Auer, 47; Lt. John P. Grasso, 45; and Firefighter Wayne J. Walters, 30.

Mr. Shaibi, who said he had been the proprietor of the store for 16 months, said he hoped to reopen.

But the fire had left Mega 99 a blackened shell, with its windows broken, its merchandise destroyed and its front awning ripped and dangling over the sidewalk.

Building department records indicated that the building had a fire several years ago and that reconstruction work was performed in 2000.

Representatives of the owner, Davir Realty of the Bronx, could not be reached for comment last night.

Firefighter Reilly was the 1,133rd member of the department to die in its 142-year history, and the first since Jan. 23, 2005, when three firefighters died in two separate fires, one in Brooklyn and one in the Bronx. Firefighter Reilly’s and Lieutenant Carpluk’s units had both battled that Bronx fire.

Firefighter Reilly is survived by his parents, a brother and a sister. “All he wanted to do in his life was to be a firefighter,” Mayor Bloomberg said.
    Last edited by NJFFSA16; 08-28-2006 at 03:10 AM. Reason: NAR

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Lodd

May he rest in peace.......

MembersZone Subscriber

Unhappy 5-5-5-5

THE OFFICIAL MESSAGE FROM FDNY HQ:

Signal 5-5-5-5 has been transmitted: The message is as follows.. It is with regret the department announces the death of Fireman 6th grade Michael C. Reilly of Engine company 75 which occurred on sunday August 27, 2006 as a result of injuries sustained while operating at Bronx box 33-2797 transmitted at 1229 hours on sunday August 27, 2006.

Signed:

Nicholas Scoppetta, Fire Commissioner

Salvatore J. Cassano, Chief of Department.

Last edited by FFFRED; 08-28-2006 at 11:10 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Our family's prayers go out to the firefighter that passed away and to those recovering.

Our condolences to the family, friends, firefighters and those who are suffering because of this incident.

MembersZone Subscriber

Our thoughts and prayers are with the FDNY and your families.
    IACOJ

Forum Member

May the brother be in heaven an hour before the devil knows he's dead. Godspeed brother.
    Never trust a smiling dog.
    The uniform you're given is free, but it comes with a history. Do the right thing when you're in it.
    PTB, EGH, FTM.

Thread Information