Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Bronx Box 2797 Collapse

Forum Member

Unhappy Rip

"Firefighter Reilly, who lived in Sleepy Hollow in Westchester County, had worked for smaller fire departments, in Ramsey, N.J., and Stratford, Conn., and had fought fires as a Marine in Iraq."

He also briefly worked at USMA West Point... My first day of work he was leaving for CT...RIP Brother

Forum Member

Default Ny1

In case you didn't notice, NY1 didn't have anything for HOURS after the fire started. I don't get it, they are the first to report on everything. WNBC actually reported first and 1010wins didn't have it up at all as of last night. It's a shame. Bloomberg pees and it's on all over the place... people are trapped and where is the media? It would be nice if for once this stuff was smack in people's faces so maybe for a second the outside world would feel it... Sorry for venting....

Quote Originally Posted by E229Lt
    NY1 is NOT reporting a LODD. 2 are reported critical but latest report doesn't include any dead.

Please don't jump the gun and let the process continue as it should:

Families First!

Forum Member

My condolences to FDNY on another tragedy.
    I am a complacent liability to the fire service

Forum Member

Lightbulb

heres something posted on another firefighting board about this sad story:

the only comfort I can take in a situation like this is that this young man died doing what he loved. Wouldn't it be lovely if we all could die in such a way, doing the job we love?
    i have to agree with him on this one.
    Rest in peace brother, and i pray for the speedy recovery of the injured firefighters.
    First in, Last out, nobody left behind.....

Forum Member

Rest in peace, brother..our prayers are with you and your family..

Forum Member

GOD Bless you FF Reilly.. My condolences to your family and the Brother's and Sister's of FDNY..My thoughts and prayers with you and for those that were injured..

Lost Never Forgotten FF Reilly.

Forum Member

My condolences to the Family, rest in peace Brother.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Second Firefighter Dies From Blaze

From the Newsday Website:

One day after a rookie New York City firefighter was killed after a burning Bronx building collapsed, the assistant fire chief of operations says a second firefighter has died from his injuries.

Lt. Howard Carpluk, 43, of Engine 42 in the Bronx, who also fell into the basement of a discount store, passed away Monday at Montefiore Medical Center. Department officials did not list Carpluk's hometown, but records show the 20-year veteran is a resident of Yaphank.

Fellow firefighter Michael Reilly, 25, who served with the U.S. Marines in Iraq, died Sunday.

Reilly, 25, of Engine 75 in the Bronx, was carrying a hose inside 1575 Walton Ave., officials said, when the floor in the one-story building gave way beneath him, trapping him and four others in the basement just before 1 p.m.

Reilly, of Sleepy Hollow, grew up in Ramsey, N.J., where he once served as a volunteer firefighter. He joined the Marines in 2000 and was a sergeant in the Marine Reserves. Reilly was rescued from the rubble and rushed to Bronx-Lebanon Hospital Center, where he was pronounced dead, officials said. An official with the Ramsey Rescue Squad described Reilly as fearless and said he believed he served a one-year tour in Iraq two years ago.

Officials said Reilly apparently died from heart failure and suffered no burns in the fall. Family members could not be reached for comment.

Battalion Chief Thomas Auer, 47, a 23-year veteran, Lt. John Grasso, 45, a 21-year veteran, and firefighter Wayne Walters, 36, a four-year veteran, were in serious but stable condition on Monday at Jacobi Medical Center.

The death marked another sad day for the New York City Fire Department, which is just two weeks away from commemorating the loss of 343 men on Sept. 11, 2001. Yesterday's fire, in the Mount Eden section of the Bronx, occurred a mile from a building where two firefighters jumped four stories to their deaths on Jan. 23, 2005, a day known in the department as "Black Sunday."

"The loss of any of our bravest in the line of duty is a blow to the heart of our city," Mayor Michael Bloomberg said at an impromptu news conference at the hospital.

The three-alarm fire broke out in a building that housed a 99-cent store and left 21 firefighters, from a battalion chief to rank-and-file firefighters, with smoke inhalation and other minor injuries, officials said. Only Carpluk's injuries were listed as critical. The cause of the fire has not been determined.

Officials said that workers at the store called 911 after the glass on a refrigerator shattered in an unexplained explosion. By the time firefighters arrived, the fire had started, officials said.

The fire, which department officials said was not deemed suspicious, burned for four hours before it was extinguished, officials said. Two hours into battling it, the blaze became a rescue operation when the floor gave way. More than 130 firefighters were at the scene, many of whom toiled to get an oxygen hose to the trapped firefighters in the basement.

A spokeswoman for the city buildings department said that the building had no history of structural problems.

Reilly had begun his firefighting career in his hometown in New Jersey, said Erik Endress, president of the volunteer Ramsey Rescue Squad.

"He is definitely cut from that cloth of run-into-the-fire guys," said Endress, who said Reilly joined in 1997, after high school. "He's a tough guy, right in your face. I'm sure he was making a great accomplishment for himself in the FDNY very quickly, as he did with us."

Evelyn Scharff, 37, who lives next door to Carpluk in Yaphank, described him as a trusted family friend, someone who has helped keep her pool clean and has been friendly with her children.

"He has the biggest heart. He seemed very dedicated to his work," Scharff said. She said that Carpluk has two children, a boy and a girl. Another neighbor, Craig Caruana, 30, said, "He was a great neighbor. He'd help make sure the fire hydrants were clear [of snow]."

At the news conference, Bloomberg, who alluded to Reilly's service in Iraq, said he had met Reilly at a recent ceremony inducting him into the fire department, and added that he also met Reilly's father, an accountant, who told him his son always wanted to be a firefighter.

"He was somebody who I shook hands with and congratulated only four months ago," the mayor said.

Forum Member

Rip Lt.

MembersZone Subscriber

Unhappy

THE OFFICIAL MESSAGE FROM FDNY HQ:

Signal 5-5-5-5 has been transmitted: The message is as follows.. It is with regret the department announces the death of Lieutenant Howard J. Carpluk Jr. of Engine Company 42 which occurred on Monday August 28, 2006 as a result of injuries sustained while operating at Bronx box 33-2797 transmitted at 1229 hours on Sunday August 27, 2006.

Signed:

Nicholas Scoppetta, Fire Commissioner

Salvatore J. Cassano, Chief of Department.

Last edited by FFFRED; 08-28-2006 at 01:38 PM.

Forum Member

DAMN ..............Rest in Peace Lou.

Forum Member

Rest in Peace, both of the Brothers. I pray for the Family, Friends and FDNY co-workers.

MembersZone Subscriber

Rest in peace Lieutenant Howard J. Carpluk Jr. and Firefighter Mike Reilly. May you walk among angels.

Forum Member

The thoughts, and prayers of Lewiston Fire Company # 2 are with the friends and families of our fallen brothers. Our sincere condolences go out to the families of FF Mike Reilly, and Lt. Howard Carpluk Jr., and to the FDNY. Rest in peace brothers.

MembersZone Subscriber

No words come to me.
    Thoughts and prayers.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

MembersZone Subscriber

R.I.P. Brothers

Forum Member

wow, two brothers.
    This is just like Black sunday in a way...everything bad mostly happens on sunday.
    RIP Both Brothers !

Forum Member

Unhappy

wow......rest in peace brothers....
    First in, Last out, nobody left behind.....

This space for rent
    Recently relocated to Baltimore County, MD

RIP Lt. Carpluk. Your brothers await you in heaven.
    Last edited by NYSmokey; 08-28-2006 at 02:40 PM.
    Tom

Never Forget 9-11-2001

Stay safe out there!

IACOJ Member

MembersZone Subscriber

On behalf of the Montreal Firefighters Association and our members I wish to express my deepest regret for the loss our brothers in New York have experienced.

The brotherhood and the support of the FDNY members that ventured up north to Montreal for our civic funeral in January was greatly appreciated, and will be returned later this week when we descend to New York to pay our respects.

When one of us falls, we all stumble.

Chris Ross, Director
    Montreal Firefighters Association (Montreal, Quebec, Canada)
    Station 79

Forum Member

Like I said in a previous post May God Whatch Over Everybody involved and may he be with our brothers, their families, and their friends.

MembersZone Subscriber

Say a pray for our fallen brothers and there families

Forum Member

i knew mike he was a very nice guy he was funny had lots a energy.
    i spent time with mike at the ct fire academy .
    RIP BROTHER WE WILL MISS YOU

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

I've been dreading this news since one of the reports yesterday said "extremely serious" condition. *sigh* :cry:

Again, my sincere condolences to the Carpluk family and all the firefigthters involved in yesterday's fire and rescue operations. Well, to all members of the FDNY, for that matter.

Sleep with angels, Howard. :cry: :cry:

This sucks.
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Quote Originally Posted by E40FDNYL35
    Michael C. Reilly recently fulfilled his dream of becoming a firefighter. The probationary fireman from Engine Company 75 died Sunday while tackling a blaze at a 99-cents store when a floor collapsed and plunged him and four colleagues into the basement. Hundreds of firefighters were called to the one-story Bronx building around 12:30 p.m. Sunday, and five of them became trapped in the basement after the ground floor gave way.

God Rest His Sole.

I know I posted condolences for Michael already, but I didn't know his name at that time.

It is always the picture that gets to me the most.

A bright shining star lost far too soon. Thank you for fighting for "our" freedom, Michael, and for sacrificing your life in such a worthy, honourable profession ... that you loved so much.
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Thread Information