Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Doubts about Physical test

Ok, Im a 17 year old (highschool graduate) living in Staten Island NY, I'll be 18 in November, I just registered for the FDNY test 2 weeks ago. I read the requirements have been lowered, I read the 15 college credits are now waived with 6 months of full-time work experience which I have. So far I have all the qualifications to be hired, but im concerned about the physical test.

I heard it is a hard test and it seems like it will be rough, and after dishing out the $30 and mailing in my papers, I have my doubts and I dont even think I should bother taking the test now. Im a small guy, only 5'7" 125 LBs, I used to be stronger, but I have just finished taking a 5-month course of a percription medication that has given me an achy back as a side effect. Im not in good shape and my back is giving me problems, im also having some abdominal pains now lately. I had to stop working out in Feb, I just started workin out again this summer back in July, but I re-hurt my back and now my abdomen is acting up. I really dont feel like im in good shape to perform well enough on a physical test.

I'd like to know about the physical test. How hard is the physical test, and is it a really hard test that requires being in great shape and having alot of strength? Im already a small guy and now I've been aching lately and I just dont think I can compete on that test. Also, how hard is it to be considered for hiring? I understand its a competivie test, so about how many people actually get hired after taking the test? How high do you have to be on the waiting list to make it?

Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Exclamation

Not sure if the FDNY uses the CPAT or what similar physical testing is used. Looking at what you have written about having a bad back and small in size, will make it very difficult for you to pass the physical testing. A lot of people that lift weights and are great runners have problems doing a fire department physical testing, as they have never had to do such testing before.

If you have indicated all of your medical problems on the application and they have reviewed it, I donít see how you were invited to take the physical agility test. My personal advice would be not trying to take this rigorous test and hurt you back further.
    OUTSTANDING

Make It Happen

Never forget 9-11-2001
    343 Brothers Who Were MURDERED!!

Forum Member

I didn't put these problems on the application, because my back was never a problem for me. winter 2006 I was lifting heavy weights and getting strong. I then started taking medication in February for 5 months, this medication gave me back pains as a side effect. The back pain was supposed to be temporary and go away after the medicine. My back started getting better and by summer my back was about 96% better. I filed for the test feeling good and starting to lift again, then last week, I hurt my back again, re-injured it throwing a baseball. I dont know if my back will ever heal for good or if I will keep re-injuring it.

My side has acted up before in the past on 2 occasions, but it went away for good and I haven't had the problems with my side for 2 years. Just this past week my side has really been giving me pain, its not stomach pains, its bad muscle cramps that I've had for about 4 days now. Maybe its from stress, I dont know. I didn't lie on my application, these aren't medical problems and I've been pronounced healthy during my check-ups from doctors. But over the past week I just been thinking im small so its not gonna be easy. And I've been having these aching body pains the past 6 months. With the body pains I have no chance, if im feeling fine, my chances are still bad because im a small guy,and no matter how hard I try, I can't seem to gain size.

Smallguy,
    Nothing in life worth having is easy. The first thing you should do is talk with your doctor. Review the problems you have had and are having currently, ask him/her if it's at all advisable for you to start an intensive training program. The agility test isnít as hard as it is competitive; you must not only pass, but score high, preferably getting a 100 to get have a shot at being hired. If your doctor says no, youíre still young - there will be other tests. On the other hand, if he/she gives you the OK, start working out as soon as possible.

Your height will not be a problem but your current weight will almost certainly be. I've known lots of very good firefighters who are 5'7" or so, but I can't think of one who weighs 125 lbs. That would be a huge disadvantage.

The good news is you may still be well over a year away from the actual physical test; there is ample time to prepare. This is where it becomes a question of ďHow bad do you want it?Ē Frankly, I think you will need to pack on a lot of lean muscle, 25-30 lbs. min. to have a chance at a decent score. That means getting to a gym several times a week, eating a lot of the right food, taking the right supplements, and getting help from a personal trainer. If you see a class offered that specifically trains you for the physical, take it. If you want it bad enough, itís going to take a lot of hard work and commitment. Only you know how bad you want it. If it was easy, anyone could do it.

Best of luck to you. There is a saying, ďItís not the size of the dog in the fight, itís the size of the fight in the dog.Ē
    Last edited by Fire58Dog; 08-29-2006 at 07:28 PM.

Forum Member

Default thanx man

Quote Originally Posted by Fire58Dog
    Smallguy,
    Nothing in life worth having is easy. The first thing you should do is talk with your doctor. Review the problems you have had and are having currently, ask him/her if it's at all advisable for you to start an intensive training program. The agility test isnít as hard as it is competitive; you must not only pass, but score high, preferably getting a 100 to get have a shot at being hired. If your doctor says no, youíre still young - there will be other tests. On the other hand, if he/she gives you the OK, start working out as soon as possible.

Your height will not be a problem but your current weight will almost certainly be. I've known lots of very good firefighters who are 5'7" or so, but I can't think of one who weighs 125 lbs. That would be a huge disadvantage.

The good news is you may still be well over a year away from the actual physical test; there is ample time to prepare. This is where it becomes a question of ďHow bad do you want it?Ē Frankly, I think you will need to pack on a lot of lean muscle, 25-30 lbs. min. to have a chance at a decent score. That means getting to a gym several times a week, eating a lot of the right food, taking the right supplements, and getting help from a personal trainer. If you see a class offered that specifically trains you for the physical, take it. If you want it bad enough, itís going to take a lot of hard work and commitment. Only you know how bad you want it. If it was easy, anyone could do it.

Best of luck to you. There is a saying, ďItís not the size of the dog in the fight, itís the size of the fight in the dog.Ē
    Thanx for the help man. Beleive me im trying my hardest. my normal weight is about 125-130, my weight dropped down to a rediculous 115 in july, due to stress and not eating much... I started working out hard and eating alot, just to get my weight back up to about 130 now. And now im stuck on 130. I just dont put on weight easily. It seems so hard. But in about 2 weeks im gonna get back to the gym, im just gonna let my side get back to normal. Thanx for the help bro.

Thread Information