Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Testing of Foam

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Testing of Foam

How do you test your foam on your trucks? We are trying to find a way to test our foam to ensure that it will still produce bubbles. Also, if you need to replace what is in your tank, how do you dispose of the 'old' product?

Thank you in advance and I look forward to hearing everyones responses.

Forum Member

On the satiracal side of the house you could put some foam in the local town fountain and watch the effects to see if it works. On the practical side flowing soem to check the system and foam is the only way I know of. As far as draining the stuff we have no real choice but to let it go to ground or the sewer system. It does work pretty good as a weed killer and ground dust stabalizer.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by lvwrench
    On the satiracal side of the house you could put some foam in the local town fountain and watch the effects to see if it works. On the practical side flowing soem to check the system and foam is the only way I know of. As far as draining the stuff we have no real choice but to let it go to ground or the sewer system. It does work pretty good as a weed killer and ground dust stabalizer.
    Wrench are you an Air Force Firefighter or civilian Firefighter?

Forum Member

We always just use the "test method"! No, really the old fashioned way was to flow and verify percentage using a refractometer. Now they have what's called a "No Foam" tester, the Navy uses it at several of their bases. I have seen departments water fields with foam to dispose, but in this day and age most everyone puts it back in barrels and turns it over to their respective Hazardous Materials collection centers. If it's got an MSDS, it needs to be disposed of correctly.

MembersZone Subscriber ullrichk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FEDVVFAC
    but in this day and age most everyone puts it back in barrels and turns it over to their respective Hazardous Materials collection centers. If it's got an MSDS, it needs to be disposed of correctly.
    Why not use the old foam for training if it is safe enough to do so (environmentally speaking)?

The wetting agent we use is also marketed for agricultural use to improve fertilizer performance (both applications are even listed on the label), so foam does not always need to be treated as HAZMAT. In any event, the manufacturer should be able to provide the information you need.
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

Forum Member

USAFSSGT: Ex Air Force twenty years now in civilain sector for past twenty years. I beleive that, like others here, the MSDS sheet should provide necessary information on the product and is not likely HAZMAT disposed and also the foam product label should have storage and shelf life information. I also was not being sarcastic about using the bad (old) stuff as a weed killer and ground dust control here in the desert.

Forum Member

Just looked at National Foam & Angus data sheets. Shelf life is long, 15 years in a sealed container & storage temps. are what you find in a firehouse. National Foam will test samples. We just train with our oldest foam. I found an old can that had turned brown & stunk it still made foam.

Forum Member

USAFSSGT: Ex Air Force twenty years now in civilain sector for past twenty years. I beleive that, like others here, the MSDS sheet should provide necessary information on the product and is not likely HAZMAT disposed and also the foam product label should have storage and shelf life information. I also was not being sarcastic about using the bad (old) stuff as a weed killer and ground dust control here in the desert.
    Sir, do you currently work for a Vegas department?

Forum Member

USAFSSGT: Yes, I currently work for LVF&R but will be retiring April 1, 2006.

Forum Member

USAFSSGT: Yes, I currently work for LVF&R but will be retiring April 1, 2006.
    Is there anyway that I could get hooked up with a tour of a station? I know it sounds silly to ask but I am really interested. I listen to LVF&R on firefeeds.com all the time.

Forum Member

USAFSSGT: No problem. You can call me at 702-229-0460 as to when you will be or are in town and I will assist in showing you around. Before I misrepresent myself as a firefighter, I am not, I am the Shop Foreman for the department. I was in transportation, maintnenance, in the AF with my best time being with Red Horse in Vietnam. I belong to the Southern California Fire Mechanics Association and the National Association Of Emergency Vehicle Technicians. I beleive that I can still provide you with a great experience here. Let me know.

Thread Information