Forum Member

Default Getting frustrated

Ok guys.. I got my test results back from an entry level written I took last month, well.. good news is I passed the test, bad news is that I did not score well enough to move on. 84.3 and I needed a 85.5 to continue. I am really getting frustrated. This was the same test I took a few months ago and passed it but not high enough to move on, 77.5 out of a 80.5. This wasn't a typical "aptitude and knowledge" test.. it was about 98% psychological based, with a few math and reading comprehension questions. Well, the test told everyone to be as honest as possible... The first time I took the test a few months ago, I was honest as possible. This last time I took it I kind of answered how they probably would have wanted it answered, but honest with all of my responses in some way. Took both roads.

I just don't understand. When these psychological entry level written tests are scored and since I didn't make the cut.. does this mean I won't be a good firefighter, won't make it on the job, etc? I'm not sure what they are looking for? I've been preparing for this position for a year, volunteering, have many certs, study firefighting night and day, been through Fire 1 and 2 schools, practicing written exam exercises, buying interview skills books, applying and taking tests any time I can, anyway to prepare I can. I'm not sure whats going wrong?
    Last edited by ACfire1; 08-29-2006 at 01:50 PM.

Forum Member

You just can't beat yourself up over something like this, I've been in the same situation where I wouldn't make the cut and came home all upset. Eventually it just drove me to work that much harder. When you do bad on a test put it past you and move onto the next one. I know guys that have failed written tests, that is scored below 70% for one department and turned around and gotten hired on a different department.

If you want this bad enough you will get it, just be patient. A man once taught me a concept called "Delayed Gratification" basically we all want things NOW but if you are patient and work hard for it it just makes it that much better when you do get it.

Forum Member

Default Frustrating

You're not alone here. These psych based tests are throwing many great candidates for a loop and changing the face of the fire service. These questions are put in the tests to eliminate you early on in process so they don't invest a lot of money and then have you fail the psych at the end of the process.

So can you prepare for these types of tests? Yep. Stop beating your head against the wall hoping after you take a lot of tests you will eventually figure it out. Check out www.fireprep.com where you can take a sample test with answers.
    Last edited by CaptBob; 08-29-2006 at 02:58 PM.
    ______________________________ _______________

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

R.I.P K.Apuzzio 4/11/06

Default line 'em up, knock 'em down

I've never been a good test taker. For this reason I signed up for as many tests as I could just to get practice taking a fire dept. entry exam. I drove 6 hours on two occasions to take written exams for cities I had no interest in working for just to get used to sitting there and filling in the bubbles. I also took three police exams for the same reason. Each test I took I got a little better at and I started scoring in the mid to high 90's. Might be something to consider, that way when you get to the department you're really passionate about you have the confidence and the experience to settle in and go for it. Good luck to you and stay with it.
    -ww

Forum Member

Austin FD had a test like this when I took it. They give you a picture and you're supposed to guess what they're saying. Someone on the inside later admitted to me that the purpose of the test was to help get more minorities to make the cut. So if your're from an inner city high school and can barely read, write, do math, or graduate high school you're in luck!!!

I'm all for diversity in the fire service but when you toss out qualified people to satisfy reverse discrimination er... um... "affirmative action" something's not right.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by agavegrove
    Austin FD had a test like this when I took it. They give you a picture and you're supposed to guess what they're saying. Someone on the inside later admitted to me that the purpose of the test was to help get more minorities to make the cut. So if your're from an inner city high school and can barely read, write, do math, or graduate high school you're in luck!!!

I'm all for diversity in the fire service but when you toss out qualified people to satisfy reverse discrimination er... um... "affirmative action" something's not right.
    Ok...you're an idiot. Go back to your gentlemans club somewhere in hickville.

Hot Head

This sounds exactly like my story...Glad to hear someone else with the same thoughts of frustration....Thank you for starting the topic , the responces are golden.

Forum Member

Hi again brothers, thank you for your responses. Just wanted to ask if anyone knew the low on these type of tests? Is there anyway to prepare for the CWH test? Is there anyone who passed this before? I know there is something they are looking for and I am constantly studying written practice exams for aptitude tests but not sure how to prepare for a test like this. Any kind of study material would be great but I hear these tests are hard to study for?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalSJK
    Ok...you're an idiot. Go back to your gentlemans club somewhere in hickville.
    NorCal-

You don't know me. So why call me an idiot? Do you know my qualifications? Level of experience? Do you assume that because I tested in Texas that I'm a hick?

I wasn't stating my speculation on the Austin test. I was informing others what I was told.

Dr. King said people should be judged "...not by the color of their skin, but the content of their character." Affirmative action flies in the face of this. I know opposing AA isn't politically correct, or "appropriate" in today's society. But like the cliche goes "What is right isn't always popular. What's popular isn't always right."

Forum Member

NorCal-
    You don't know me. So why call me an idiot? Do you know my qualifications? Level of experience? Do you assume that because I tested in Texas that I'm a hick?
    What does any of the above matter? you made a blatant racist/classist remark? I hope that you haven't lucked out and been hired at a department and been able to spread that archaic attitude to others.

Here's a quote for you;
    Classism (a term formed by analogy with racism) is any form of prejudice or oppression against people who are in, or who are perceived as being like those who are in, a lower social class (especially in the form of lower or higher socioeconomic status) within a class society. It is similar to social elitism.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalSJK
    What does any of the above matter? you made a blatant racist/classist remark? I hope that you haven't lucked out and been hired at a department and been able to spread that archaic attitude to others.
    So excluding a particular race in order to hire other races isn't racism?
    I'm not promoting one race, sex, or ethnic group over another. I'm for 100% equality in the hiring process.

Hmm... hire people who can't do the job, but are non-white for the want of pseudo-moral diversity. Or hire people who can do the job and not pay attention to racial/ethnic make up. Which makes more sense?

It's not an archaic attitude, it's common sense: hire based on qualifications and nothing else! Keep genetic factors (sex, race) out of the process. That way everyone gets an equal chance.

I'll admit I didn't get that across in my original thread. My mistake.

I didn't get hired because I lucked out, nor because I'm part Native American. I got hired because I worked hard and earned my position.
    Last edited by agavegrove; 09-01-2006 at 12:27 PM.

Forum Member

I'll admit I didn't get that across in my original thread. My mistake.

I didn't get hired because I lucked out, nor because I'm part Native American. I got hired because I worked hard and earned my position.
    Ok then...congrats. I must have read you're original quote wrong, or jumped to a conclusion.

Thread Information