Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Question Certifications??

Hi everyone,

I just passed my FF I and II classes, now i'll be looking for a full time job after completion of EMT.

Just wondering if there was a website or any where to find information regarding weather or not my certs are good in other states.

Oh I took the courses in Michigan, looking at either NC or SC, any help is much appreciated!

Forum Member

I just checked the NBPQ "Pro Board" website, and Michigan is not on the list....neither of the Carolinas seemed to be on it either.

I'd say call the Fire Academies from both states and ask them if they accept cert's from Michigan.

Good luck.

MembersZone Subscriber

http://www.ncdoi.com/OSFM/FireAndRes...r_transfer.asp

Check that web page out for out of state cert for firefighters in North Carolina

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Certs

Can anyone answer this?
    I was FF1 & 2 certified in Michigan back in 98/99. Since than I've been playing army. Will I be able to fall back on my prior certs from Michigan, or has it been too long and I need to take FF1 & 2 again, once I get out of the army? I'm looking to go anywhere in the states.

MembersZone Subscriber

Unlike EMT certs, FF1 and FF2 certs do not expire. Depending how comfortable you still feel with all the material, you'll need to decide whether or not to take them again. If you do take them again, then I would recommend trying to take them through a Pro Board accredited academy. But if you still feel comfortable with them, then you can challenge Pro Board FF1 and FF2 by just taking the written and practical for each. Either way, Pro Board certs are recognized by almost every state and may open up more doors for you.

Forum Member

When i was in the academy, we had to pass the National FF Cert 1 & 2 to graduate. As far as i now these are good anywhere, anytime.

Forum Member

since its kinda on topic, im trying to take a FF1 class next semester at my college. once and if i do pass that class, i would have to take a national test for that cert? cause it does say i will have to pay for my certificates in Auto Extrication, HazMat Ops, Confined Space Awareness and S190 Wildland Firefighter Training..

id just like to clarify .. thanks!

Forum Member

Adlx21, I think I understand what your asking. In terms of paying for certifications that should be covered in the tuition for the semester. Usually academies will take like a straight week and dedicate that to whatever certification you're taking i.e. Cal Fire 67 hour class, Hazmat Ops and Decon etc. After completing an academy in CA you will receive your FF1 academy certification which is not the CA State Fire Marshall FF1 cert. In order to get the State FF1 you must work 6 months as a paid firefighter or volunteer at a department for a year and then have your chief sign off on your State FF1.

Which academy are you thinking about going into? I'm going to try and get into College of San Mateo's academy for the fall.

Forum Member

hey julian, thanks for the help..
    Im thinking of trying to get in the City College of San Francisco Academy next fall. Im also considering San Mateo's, but its kinda far and im not sure bout their registration. I read online about ccsf's and spoke to a couple of my teachers, its basically first come first serve. Just like adding classes online. If thats the same as San Mateo's, ill probably have a late registration date..

MembersZone Subscriber

Default certs

thank you all for the info. Now where would I look to find either a school that is Pro Board Accredated, or find a place to challange the test?

Thread Information