Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread

Post Amertek model 2500L

Does anyone have a operations manual for the Amertek model 2500L in pdf format? Our department is going to have to start useing them for stand by's. As much as i think they're pieces of you know what, we got no choice in the matter.

The best way to operate with a 2500L:

1. Place C-4 on engine block
    2. Yell "fire in the hole" X3
    3. Twist handle
    4. Duck

Sorry you have to use one of those POS.

MembersZone Subscriber

armyfiremn, contact me via PM. We have a 2500L where I work and I might be able to help you out or at least point you in the correct direction for one.

ANGfireman

MembersZone Subscriber

Is this 2500L a Pierce refurb? If not, I have a manual somewhere. However, gunnyv seems to have the most up to date guidelines.

You wouldn't be at Rucker by any chance would you?

as far as i know they are going to be true amerwrecks. i couldn't stand useing the things when i was in the army and i still can't stand them. i was a army firefighter up until 2000 when i got out. i'm now a civilian firefighter in iraq.

MembersZone Subscriber

OK, there's 3 types of MACI; the old POS, a refurb and the glider kit, which is for the most part a new truck around some old components. If the trucks are OD green, have hosebed changes, large lightbars and strobes, it's a refurb and has had some other changes. If it has no intersection lights, no hosebed changes and dinky roof strobes, it's the old style. The refurbs worked a lot better, but it's still a POS.
    Last edited by Tiredoldman; 08-31-2006 at 02:32 PM.

Forum Member

Default be carefull

Watch those damn trucks. Wasnt too long ago one took off and killed a friend of mine. We also have Amertek's version of the P-19 where I am at and it's not any better than the 2500L.

MembersZone Subscriber

They are a nightmare...literally. I almost rolled one in Iraq back in '03 when the brakes went out. Thankfully only 2 minor injuries to the officer and 1 ff. Maint. wise they are sh*t. I was a mechanic prior to switching to 51/21M, and they were more of a pain than a tank. We uh hum "borrowed" some parts from a "salvaged" MACI at the port in Kuwait before heading North, thank God we did. Here's a question for the current Army folks, why doesn't the Army have fire-mechanics while the AF does?

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey JT, was that MACI the one that fell off the loading ramp and had the smashed front end?

On the mechanic side, there was talk of doing that in 2001, but it seemed to just go away. The clerk was going ot be replaced with a mechanic.

I retired after Iraq, and I'm thinking that was a very good idea.

MembersZone Subscriber

Tiredoldman, Yes, that indeed was the one. We actually were told to just get the tire from it, but a few of us fromer mechanics said, hey, if we need a tire now, why not take as much as we'll need while up north. Needless to say, we loaded 2 Hummers full of stuff. Got pics too!

After 10 years, I wasn't retiring, instead I decided to work smart, and not hard, so I joined the AF.

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool Wow

I didn't realize there is such a hatred for the Amertek 2500L (don't let our Canadian Brothers read this, they might get upset..... LOL).
    Personally, I enjoy working on our Amertek. I love the capabilities. Ours is setup in a primarily wildland setup and it works great for us.
    Maybe we have the exception to the rule...........
    "Be LOUD, Be PROUD..... It just might save your can someday when goin' through an intersection!!!!!"

Life on the Truck (Quint) is good.....

Eat til you're sleepy..... Sleep til you're hungry..... And repeat.....

MembersZone Subscriber

I thought the widowmaker (MACI) was being taken out of service due to the many problems it had. Where I work as a DOD firefighter we turned ours in. The only good thing I could say about the truck is that it ran like a bat out of hell. Of course that happened sometimes when you didn't want it to and that was just one of the problems.

MembersZone Subscriber

I personally never had a serious problem with the MACI's. They were a great vehicle to teach a new driver to learn on because they were easy. As far as speed; they were a lot quicker than people gave them credit for. They were a very fast truck, if maintained properly. The problems that have plagued them I never personally experienced; but I knew an Instructor at Goodfellow who was at Ft. Drum when their MACI went haywire and committed "truck suicide". Then I heard about the tragedy at Ft. Rucker.... Sorry to hear about that.

When I was in Alaska and Ft Greely (sp?) burned, we sent a MACI from Wainwright and two crews and the it performed wonderfully. The BLM firefighters were inpressed with all of its capabilities.

The new vehicle the Army came out with is a lot better; but it still has some problems. I knew one of the guys who was working with the manufacturers during the acceptance testing of it for the Army and I pointed out some the problems (which I will not mention at this time) and they were unwilling to change the design on most of the modifications.But overall; the new vehicle (TFFT) is a worth the money the Army spent on it.

Cool MACI / Amertek 2500L

It would seem that there is a mixed consortiumm of emotions and feelings for this apparatus. After reading the many responses and remembering all that me and my Amertek have gone through I am torn between the love and the hate. Our current unit is in reserve status, and it grieves me to see it parked out side because there's no room in the barn. Those of us who have rode backwards on it when it first came to us in the winter of 96 affectionately refer to it as "Hildago" It's an ugly hybrid with alot grit that'll get you there quick... pump like a raped ape... and then get you back to qtrs. But don't you dare turn your back or disrespect it cuz it will kill you... check the brakes every day, Manipultate the linkages and valves regularly... and know how to shut it down when it runs away on you. Our unit E-411B back then earned a reputation in the forests and interface of southern california as that ugly type I, ARFF, type III, go anywhere... rig from the NTC and we loved it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Sitting outside? That's the PERFECT place for an Amertek! Especially in the DRMS salavage yard!

I will admit that after Pierce did the refurbishment to them, they did perform a lot better.

Forum Member

Default MACI Vacuum Test

Hey gang, have not worked with this truck much. Anyone have the procedures for the pump vacuum test? When I worked with Boeing wew had an outside company perform this. Anyone have any info?

Forum Member

Believe it or not, but the name still exists.... there is a company in Quebec that still has the naming rights to Amertek, they don't produce but are capable of tracking down parts and associated materials (Mostly in Corn Fields now)

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianFyrTrks View Post
    Believe it or not, but the name still exists.... there is a company in Quebec that still has the naming rights to Amertek, they don't produce but are capable of tracking down parts and associated materials (Mostly in Corn Fields now)
    THANK GOD!
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    THANK GOD!
    LOL

There is quite the story of a sad demise about the company....

http://www.firetruckarchive.ca/companies/kinghist.htm

Every Amertek I have ever had the displeasure of driving was a miserable piece of $hit. It's no wonder to me that they folded.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Thread Information