MembersZone Subscriber

Question Leather Radio Strap Use

I need some help..

I just started using the Boston Leather Radio Strap around the station and anything not involving turnouts...

I was wondering how you guys who use the strap use them with turnouts and scba's on or if thats even a smart idea. If anyone could let me know how they do it (over the coat, under the coat, etc?) I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

Forum Member

Here's a thread I started a while back.

http://forums.firehouse.com/showthre...r+radio+straps

Personally, I'm an "over the coat" guy.

Kevin
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

MembersZone Subscriber

Same here.

MembersZone Subscriber

IMO, Its designed to be worn under your coat. Make sure the radio hangs low enough to be accesible from under the edge of your turnout coat and SCBA waist strap.

When gearing up I put on my pants first, radio strap second and coat on top of it. Under your gear it isnt as likely to snag stuff or get caught up in your SCBA straps when donning/doffing the pack and especially if youre trying to do an emergency low profile maneuver.

The other thread includes a heated debate about the inability of the user to wear the strap under a coat thats zipperd and velcro. I've been doing it for years and it works fine. Just pull the mic up and over the top of the closure , hanging it out the front and clip it back to the collar or storm flap of your gear.
    Last edited by MG3610; 09-06-2006 at 07:48 PM.

Forum Member

It took me a long time to be convinced on that strap to start with. For years I was the only guy who didn't use one. Then one day my partner talked me into trying it out. So I did and I won't go back to the (radio pocket) again.

I wear it exactly the way MG3610 does. Except I use a "gear Keeper" to hold the lapel mic. It works out very well.
    IAFF member, Love this job! Remember the oath!

MembersZone Subscriber

I prefer over the coat
    "Train as if your life depends on it"
    Always Remember *343*

MembersZone Subscriber

I belive the radio should be worn under the coat or in the radio pocket to protect the radio. I don't think our radios were designed to be used outside your gear in an fire atmosphere, and why wouldn't you want to protect your radio?

When wearing my radio strap I wear it under my coat as described above and have had no problems.

Forum Member

Many depts now require them to be under the coat - for obvious reasons - safety of the user and not constantly replacing radios ! The radios are designed only for vibration and water (mil 810 std). they CANNOT take the temperatures of a fire and the particulate in the air - might they be able to in some fires - sure ! But you really don't know what the threshold is- and I don't want to find out on the third floor when I am out of air and my partner is down.

If you get used to it and set the strap right- actually it is pretty comfortable under the coat.

Stay Safe Brothers.

Forum Member

"I'll save you Nell". Is what I tell the very few guys that wear them.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

Forum Member

Under the coat 100%- that radio is your lifeline of you gen in trouble. protect it! I don bunkers, then the strap, with coat on top, and flake the ext. mike through my front flap- motorolas are great, but hit a fire that flashes and it melts and you'll be cursing plastic until they let you out of st. barnabus. Its still electronic and needs to beat the heat, and like said if it hits the fan and you need help, thats your only way to get it quick.
    FF/EMT-B East Franklin Fire Dept,
    Engine Co. 27
    Somerset NJ

EMT-1 Robert Wood Johnson Univ. Hosp. EMS,
    A-651
    New Brunswick, NJ

FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT

MembersZone Subscriber

While I too am 100% for under the coat, I like it better because its less prone to snagging and tangling with SCBA staps, seatbelts and the stupid SCBA collision straps. With the strap outside you're more strapped up than a NACAR pilot! As for the heat? Gimme a break! How hot is it really down on the floor where you are? This isn't rookie school where you brag about ceiling temps, its the floor where in the real world anything over 200 F is damn hot. Your gear will hold up but you'll bake, add a little steam from your fog nozzle and you'll be running quick, long before your radio fails. And if it was true that the radio would melt, how does your flashlight, Keeper strap, inner tube on your helmet, etc. stand up?

MembersZone Subscriber

Under the coat 100%. HT1250.I hang the speaker mic our just under the collar. Its always there when needed. As someone said make sure it hangs low enough for some access.
    LEATHER FOREVER!!!!

Forum Member

I swing both ways It all depends if its on or not. If I have it on then under the coat and if its off then over the coat and it also depends on the type of run.
    ******=================
    ******================
    ******=================
    ******================
    =======================
    =======================
    =======================

------GOD BLESS AMERICA ! ------

Forum Member

Definitely under the coat. MG3610 covered it pretty well -protect the radio that your life depends on, reduce the potential for snagging or tangling on things, less likely to interfere with reduced profile manuever. It's important to adjust the length so that the radio can be reached from under the bottom edge of the coat.

Thread Information