Forum Member

Default I.A.F.F. Convention

I am shocked and amazed on the lack of discussion regarding the 48th IAFF convention. It was a fantastic convention and the Fire service should be paying homage to the International Association of Fire Fighters. On behalf of Cicero Illinois Firefighters Local 717 we would like to thank our great General President Harold Schaitberger, Secretary-Treasurer Vincent Bollon, all the Vice Presidents, (but most importantly Tom Miller 8th district), AFFI President Rick Merrill, AFFI V.P. at large Russ Hunt, AFFI 1st district V.P. Dan Fortuna, and all the delegates who attended. We truly are always on the fronline - Two Great Nations, One Great Union. Thank you my brothers and sisters.

Eric Habercoss
    President
    IAFF Local 717

Early Adopter

Since you are shocked and amazed at the lack of discussion, why don't you start some?

MembersZone Subscriber

Let's not forget about Kevin Gallagher who walks the walk and talks the talk for the 1st District.
    Last edited by TruckSkipper; 09-03-2006 at 02:42 AM.
    DKK
    Truck Man
    APFD
    IAFF Local 384:

"Above all, an assignment to a truck company should be considered a promotion."

Chief John W. Mittendorf-1998

Forum Member

I saw a picture of Schaitberger hugging Hilary Clinton. She must have made an appearance at the conventin last week.

Mark these words in 2008: IAFF FIREFIGHTERS FOR HILLARY!!!!

I think I'm gonna go throw up! Why don't they take a real vote amongst the membership instead of telling everyone to drink the "Kool-Aid".

Forum Member

Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton is a friend of firefighters. I didnt realize she was running for president at this time. I am looking for someone to dispute the fact she is pro-firefighter. I hear a lot of people who do not like her. I am interested to know why you do not like her.... Real reasons. The usual line is, "I just don't like her". I am a firm believer is supporting those who support us.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NortheastFF

I think I'm gonna go throw up! Why don't they take a real vote amongst the membership instead of telling everyone to drink the "Kool-Aid".
    Interesting concept. So you are proposing that the International should have an election to see who we should endorse? Hmm... I am interested to hear how you would do this.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

the 4-1-4

The usual line is, "I just don't like her". I am a firm believer is supporting those who support us.
    I agree with you in that I support those who support us. Hillary may, or she may not. What exactly has a senator from New York done to help me here in Wisconsin, or anywhere other than New York? My experience with politicians, and specifically those who we work hard for, after giving them our endorsement are all talk. We have done a lot of work locally for politicians, had them elected, only to have them turn around and cut us.
    Plenty of politicians give us lip service, but that is all it really is. Because of that, I am not able to get beyond my political views to vote for someone who my be “pro-firefighter”. All politicians say they are “pro-firefighter”.

MembersZone Subscriber

Yep, Tom Miller is a class act. Always a pleasure to speak with.

The bottom line here is you support those who support you. Regardless of political affilitation or sex for this matter. There support is not based or something say, its based on past voting on OUR issues. I have not seen her voting record but I am sure they can be looked up.
    Local 216
    Secretary/Treasurer

Forum Member

I also support those that support firefighters. However, in my opinion at the federal level we always seem to endorse the liberal candidates because we think they’ll do more for us. If the AFL-CIO says this is the guy, than that’s who we’re throwing our PAC money after.

Mikey being pro-firefighter is a lot like being pro-education and pro-job growth – everyone’s for it. Imagine a candidate getting up and saying “I’m against firefighters, think kids should quit school and want to eliminate any new jobs from my district”.

Judging from your location I assume that you’re a Chicago fireman. What’s your opinion of Chicago’s famous Rev. Jackson? You know that Hillary and the good Reverend are political allies.

How much have Ted Kennedy, Bill Clinton, Al Gore and John Kerry done for the fire service? Are small communities running engine and truck companies with one firefighter each heavier staffed now? Probably not. Ironically, police departments don’t seem to have these problems to a larger extent.

As for Sen. Clinton here are two of my gripes:

1) In Grutter v. Bollinger the case decided by the U.S. Supreme Court in 2003 involving the University of Michigan Law Schools admissions process Sen. Clinton was a supporter of the plaintiffs having agreed that “diversity in higher education is a compelling state interest that can justify the use of race in university admissions”.

Sen. Clinton also said “For millions of Americans, affirmative action has knocked down the barriers of the past that prevented them from attending college, law school, serving in the military, or working in our country's leading companies and the small businesses in our hometowns and neighborhoods.”

I have to believe that there are people that post on these boards that have taken entrance and promotional exams in Departments represented by our Union that were denied these positions because of affirmative action.

Source: http://clinton.senate.gov/~clinton/n...003623932.html

2) Sen. Clinton is also anti-gun. According to Judicial Watch, Sen. Clinton has supported “filing massive product liability and negligence lawsuits against major handgun makers”. Personally I am pro-gun and a supporter of the 2nd Amendment. Given that at least six guys that work on my shift shoot handguns at ranges while off-duty I have to assume that most firefighters are also pro-gun.

There’s two issues for now – there are others.

Forum Member

So you would rather that a dozen or so individuals that may or may not have their own personal agendas speak for the 250,000 members?

Why couldn't a system like the electoral college be established, based on Union size to give the members the chance to speak? In my firehouse alone there are 45 members. In 2004, I knew of 1 that openly supported Sen. Kerry.

Forum Member

Northeast, thanks for the post. I am actually trying to start some decent discussion, which you have provided. I work/live in the southern suburbs of Chicago. Jesse Jr. is my congressman. I like him better then the old man. I am not supporting Hillary Clinton for president but believe it or not the IAFF is a democarcy. We have the power to elect leaders who represent our collective views. I personally like the direction the union has gone in recent years when it comes to being run more business-like. The EDF and Guardian policy come to mind when I think of how the union has helped enormously at the local level. The IAFF is also known ffor having some semblence of bi-partisianship. I believe that the Executive Board will tread lightly in 2008.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

MembersZone Subscriber

Everytime the subject of IAFF endorsements come up I am amazed at the misconceptions about how the process works.

Every member does have a voice in who, how, when, etc the IAFF makes endorsements. In order for that to happen though you have to understand how your voice is heard. This also means you need to get involved.

The General President and District VPs are elected at conventions. The votes for these positions are made by the delegates attending the conventions. Those delegates, by LAW, have to be elected by the membership in the individual locals. If you want different leadership speaking for you and/or making endorsements then you have to hold your delegates accountable for their votes.

There are other mechanisms available to you. At every convention their are dozens of resolutions that are voted on by the delegates. These resolutions can be submitted by your local. If you want the IAFF to develop a new way to endorse canidates then submit a resolution outlining how it should be done and what the cost per capita would be. It will then be voted on by the elected representation of the IAFF locals in attendance.

The IAFF is probably the most bi-partisan AFL-CIO member and they routinely endorse canidates from both parties. Unfortunately the GOP has less members who support fire fighter issues- SAFER, The FIRE ACT, National Collective Bargaining, etc. There are serious efforts being made to change that including have high profile members of the GOP attend the IAFF Legislative Conference.

The Hillary issue is going to be a problem. I am sure the Executive Board and General President are losing a little sleep over it already. She has an outstanding record on the issues I mentioned and has been a supporter of the IAFF and its members for years. She is also an extremely polarizing figure and I am sure that the IAFF does not want to go through what it experienced during the 2004 election. It is going to be fun to watch.

MembersZone Subscriber

RE33FX, you pretty much took the words right out of my mouth. Being active in the state and international level is the only way to voice your concerns. You cant set around the firehouse and complain amongst yourselves and praise good ole "Stay the Course" You see, there were obviously more delegate Ayes for endorsing Kerry then Neyes. Was he the right guy......maybe not......was he the wrong guy....not by far. Just look at Gw's approval rating.
    Local 216
    Secretary/Treasurer

Forum Member

Default IAFF Convention

All I can say is what are you professional firefighters thinking?

Are we brothers?

Do we risk our lives together?

How can we support those who do not support us?

I have not posted as of late because I am arbitrating a contract, 3 unfair labor practices and about 30 grievances.

I want to thank Mikey for his constant support (as you said we know each other but I wish i knew from where). You are a true brother who gets the big picture.

I can say the same for you RE33FFX.

When will we learn.

We risk our lives everyday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can not tell you how many times my brothers and I have almost bought it at a fire.

Why would we not support someone who supports us.

I will support whomever the IAFF supports.

The IAFF is the only organization who supports us.

Without the IAFF we would be fighting for minimum wage and some sort of death benefit for our families when we buy it.

Because of the IAFF we have a decent wage (not what we deserve) and a decent death benefit that insures a small peace of mind as I rush into a burning building not knowing if I will ever see my family again.

The IAFF has provided all Fire Fighter with more than they can imagine. Open your eyes and shut yor mouths. Be apprecative to those who appreciate you,

We need to be smart and political or we will cease to exist. I am sure there are private corporations who will be happy to capitalize on what we do. Just ask Broadview Illinois whom I hear will be run by a private company. A Fire Department run for profit? This is a sad story.

Politicians say they can not afford us!!!! But private companys are fighting to take us over. But if there is no money to be made, why take us over?

Taking money to protect lives and property, how repulsive.

We do not do this for the money, as all true fireman know.

This is what we do because we care.

Hillary Clinton is fighting for your brothers and sisters who are sick and dying because of condtions they faced on 9-11. If you do not support them, you are not my brother, and I wish you would leave the fire service because you just dont get it. And there is nothing I can do to explain it to you.

Wake up and fight for your chosen occupation.

I would rater die on my feet than live on my knees.

Anyone who is with me welcome to our fight. Anyone opposed can go to hell.

Forum Member

All polititions are crooks ! I don't need anyone to tell me who to vote for and neither do you, make your own choice.

To tell someone to goto hell just because they will not vote for someone they want is just assinine. The world does not evlove around firefighting and sorry to tell you that its not one of my main things for picking a politition.
    ******=================
    ******================
    ******=================
    ******================
    =======================
    =======================
    =======================

------GOD BLESS AMERICA ! ------

Forum Member

Eric, I talked to you at the South Cook caucus back in March and the AFFI convention. I am a fellow 1st District president. I know Jonathon. I am not sure who is even running for president of the U.S. but my living IS earned by firefighting. I sure as hell am going to support someone who supports things that are going to improve things for my family, country, my fellow firefighters and of course me.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Forum Member

Default IAFF convention

The great thing about this county is you can vote for anyone you want to.

However, why would anyone support someone who opposes what you do and continues to eliminate funding that will make your job safer seems?

Unions have always throw their support behind those who support their agenda.

Politicians love to cut our budgets at any whim.

If you wish to support someome who endangers my life, your no friend of mine

Forum Member

Ekhaber,

How many firefighters did your city have in January 1993? How many did you have in December 2000? I'm asking because I'm curious as to whether under President Clinton's administration your man-power increased dramatically. That was 8 years of someone who was in our corner and most cities had less manpower at the end than at the beginning. If I'm not mistaken we endorsed him twice only to have very little in return.

I think you might live in Illinois. Mayor Dailey has really been a champion of firefighters, hasn't he? When I was there for the St. Patty's Day Parade a few years back we wouldn't even in March in the Mayors parade, only the South Side. Another good liberal Mayor out for the working man. Did they ever get a contract?

How many times do you know of a Local endorsing/campaigning for a mayoral candidate, only too have that individual shut down companies or layoff firefighters in the next few years? Let's face it - usually it's a Democrat.

When I said that 44 of the guys in my firehouse did not support Kerry I was serious. These are good solid guys. Most are Vietnam, Afghanistan and Iraq Vets. Furthermore most will be at the 9/11 services later tonight as well. So I take it you're telling them that they should leave the fire service and they are not your brother, simply because they take exception with being told who to vote for.

Overall you made some real nice comments. I can see you hold a real appreciation for differentiating opinions. My guess is that you are type of guy who talks before he thinks and it's probably come back to haunt you before.

MembersZone Subscriber

So, if you are so against the endorsements of the IAFF, like it has been explained before, go to the next IAFF convention, submit your resolution backing whoever you want, and argue it. If you still don't like it, the last time I checked, the PAC fund was optional, not requred. Don't give. You seem to be so hung up on partisonship, but it is not about republican or democrat, it is who supports us. If you had followed the convention this year, you will have noted that two DEMOCRATIC mayors in Mass. were unanimously censured by the IAFF for their actions against the unions there. You support those who help your cause, irregardless of affiliation.

Although I have only met Eric in passing, I am going to say you are out of line. He works in what can be described as an anti-union municipality. When it comes to political action, and the success you can have, you can learn a lot from him and his union.

Nowhere did he say that you or your 44 coworkers are not brothers. Just not friends.

Bet your a peach to deal with.
    IACOJ, Flatlander Division

Forum Member

Sorry Northeast but you are way off base. The Brother from Local 717 HAS HAD HIS LIFE THREATEND by people that supported a crooked REPUBLICAN Town government. Do a web search of Cicero Illinois. Former home of Al Capone and is as bare-knuckled of a place you willl find ANYWHERE. BTW Richard M. Daley is not a liberal democrat. Who celebrated his 60th Birthday this August in Chicago with Richie? President George W. Bush.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

the 4-1-4

How many firefighters did your city have in January 1993? How many did you have in December 2000?
    I can tell you that we lost 70 positions between 1993 and December 2000.

If you wish to support someome who endangers my life, your no friend of mine
    If you are supporting a politician because someone else tells you to, you are a fool, and consequently no friend of mine.
    Time and time again we have worked hard to support politicians, and help them get into office, only to have them turn around and stick it in our ***. The truth of the matter is that we are a very small part of the political world, and don’t have the money to be the big player we want to be, or that we think we are.
    Our safety also extends to beyond our jobs, as there are a slew of issues pertinent to our everyday lives. The IAFF is only concerned with our work life.

The IAFF has provided all Fire Fighter with more than they can imagine. Open your eyes and shut yor mouths.
    I suggest you do the same. Yes, the IAFF has done many things for us, its members. However, what it really boils down to is this, the IAFF is powerless to save jobs. Often times they are very unwilling to help their own dues paying members out. I have seen it first hand.

Forum Member

pay homage ?? oh please

Forum Member

The IAFF has over the years done EXCELLENT things for the ENTIRE fire service. Safe practices that we take for granted today were fought for by our brothers.

I am not IAFF. I am just a slimy Vol. to some of you. But, I am UNION PROUD and support the IAFF locals in my area when they need it. I say what they cannot at City Council meetings. One of our City Councilmen works at the same foundry as me and is a Union member but is definately a MUTT.

The point is, I applaud the IAFF for its accomplishments, past and present.
    I.A.C.O.J. Charter Member
    "Chet, get an inch and a half on that!"

"Not for fame or reward,Not for place or rank. Not lured by ambition or goaded by necessity. But in simple obedience to duty as they understood it. These men suffered,sacrificed,dared all, and died. Let us never forget our fallen friends."

Truckie

The IAFF should be proud of their accomplishments and what they have done for the fire service. Especially their legal guardian program. That alone is worth the dues. It does send a strong message to cities. But as Jasper points out, it is just a pimple on a gnats *** in the big picture.
    Coming from the building trades, I am fairly impressed though by the broader non-partisan support of politicians, both local and national. Do they still get wrapped up in the feel good, save the children libral BS, of coarse. But here in Minnesota, the building trade unions would endorse a yellow mangy dog if it said it was DFL.
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

the 4-1-4

The IAFF should be proud of their accomplishments and what they have done for the fire service.

I agree wholeheartedly with this statement. I value my membership in the IAFF, and the many things that the international has passed. All I need to do is talk with my dad, and hear his stories from the early to mid-seventies, and what it was like to be a fireman then, as opposed to now.
    I know in my state, collective bargaining as a right, the heart & lung bill, the pension and health care benefits we now have are just a few of the things the IAFF has helped us with.
    What I take exception to is a person, or an organization telling me who or what to vote for, and then insulting me, or another brother when we disagree. I stand by my earlier statement, as well; anyone who lets someone else tell them how to vote, is a fool, union or otherwise.

Thread Information