Forum Member

Default Stingray Kills 'Crocodile Hunter' Irwin

Associated Press Writer

CAIRNS, Australia Steve Irwin, the hugely popular Australian television personality and conservationist known as the "Crocodile Hunter," was killed Monday by a stingray while filming off the Great Barrier Reef. He was 44.

Irwin was at Batt Reef, off the remote coast of northeastern Queensland state, shooting a segment for a series called "Ocean's Deadliest" when he swam too close to one of the animals, which have a poisonous barb on their tails, his friend and colleague John Stainton said.

"He came on top of the stingray and the stingray's barb went up and into his chest and put a hole into his heart," said Stainton, who was on board Irwin's boat at the time.

Crew members aboard the boat, Croc One, called emergency services in the nearest city, Cairns, and administered CPR as they rushed the boat to nearby Low Isle to meet a rescue helicopter. Medical staff pronounced Irwin dead when they arrived a short time later, Stainton said.

Irwin was famous for his enthusiasm for wildlife and his catchword "Crikey!" in his television program "Crocodile Hunter." First broadcast in Australia in 1992, the program was picked up by the Discovery network, catapulting Irwin to international celebrity.

He rode his image into a feature film, 2002's "The Crocodile Hunters: Collision Course" and developed the wildlife park that his parents opened, Australia Zoo, into a major tourist attraction.

"The world has lost a great wildlife icon, a passionate conservationist and one of the proudest dads on the planet," Stainton told reporters in Cairns. "He died doing what he loved best and left this world in a happy and peaceful state of mind. He would have said, 'Crocs Rule!'"

Prime Minister John Howard, who hand-picked Irwin to attend a gala barbecue to honor President Bush when he visited in 2003, said he was "shocked and distressed at Steve Irwin's sudden, untimely and freakish death."

"It's a huge loss to Australia," Howard told reporters. "He was a wonderful character. He was a passionate environmentalist. He brought joy and entertainment and excitement to millions of people."

Irwin, who made a trademark of hovering dangerously close to untethered crocodiles and leaping on their backs, spoke in rapid-fire bursts with a thick Australian accent and was almost never seen without his uniform of khaki shorts and shirt and heavy boots.

Wild animal expert Jack Hanna, who frequently appears on TV with his subjects, offered praise for Irwin.

"Steve was one of these guys, we thought of him as invincible," Hanna, director emeritus of the Columbus (Ohio) Zoo and Aquarium, told ABC's "Good Morning America" Monday.

"The guy was incredible. His knowledge was incredible," Hanna said. "Some people that are doing this stuff are actors and that type of thing, but Steve was truly a zoologist, so to speak, a person who knew what he was doing. Yes, he did things a lot of people wouldn't do. I think he knew what he was doing."

Irwin's ebullience was infectious and Australian officials sought him out for photo opportunities and to promote Australia internationally.

His public image was dented, however, in 2004 when he caused an uproar by holding his infant son in one arm while feeding large crocodiles inside a zoo pen. Irwin claimed at the time there was no danger to the child, and authorities declined to charge Irwin with violating safety regulations.

Later that year, he was accused of getting too close to penguins, a seal and humpback whales in Antarctica while making a documentary. Irwin denied any wrongdoing, and an Australian Environment Department investigation recommended no action be taken against him.

Stingrays have a serrated, toxin-loaded barb, or spine, on the top of their tail. The barb, which can be up to 10 inches long, flexes if a ray is frightened. Stings usually occur to people when they step on or swim too close to a ray and can be excruciatingly painful but are rarely fatal, said University of Queensland marine neuroscientist Shaun Collin.

Collin said he suspected Irwin died because the barb pierced under his ribcage and directly into his heart.

"It was extraordinarily bad luck. It's not easy to get spined by a stingray and to be killed by one is very rare," Collin said.

News of Irwin's death spread quickly, and tributes flowed from all quarters of society.

At Australia Zoo at Beerwah, south Queensland, floral tributes were dropped at the entrance, where a huge fake crocodile gapes. Drivers honked their horns as they passed.

"Steve, from all God's creatures, thank you. Rest in peace," was written on a card with a bouquet of native flowers.

"We're all very shocked. I don't know what the zoo will do without him. He's done so much for us, the environment and it's a big loss," said Paula Kelly, a local resident and volunteer at the zoo, after dropping off a wreath at the gate.

Stainton said Irwin's American-born wife Terri, from Eugene, Ore., had been informed of his death, and had told their daughter Bindi Sue, 8, and son Bob, who will turn 3 in December.

The couple met when she went on vacation in Australia in 1991 and visited Irwin's Australia Zoo; they were married six months later. Sometimes referred to as the "Crocodile Huntress," she costarred on her husband's television show and in his 2002 movie.

http://www.ajc.com/news/content/shar...bit_Irwin.html
    Do a little dance, make a little rum, Italian Ice! Italian Ice!

Actual lyric: Do a little dance, make a little love, get down tonight, get down tonight.
    (KC & The Sunshine Band "Do A Little Dance")

My thoughts are mine alone and do not represent the thoughts of any Organization to which I am affiliated.

MembersZone Subscriber

"Crikey!" I bet that hurt.
    TO/EMT CVFD (1219)
    EMT GEMS
    CPT/EMT MVFD
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Proud Member of IACOJ
    ---------------------------------------------------
    9-11-01 Never Forget FDNY 343

Forum Member

Talking

its was bound to happen sooner or later, playing with those types of animals geeezzzz... i guess its kind of like play with fire you will get burned.....

Forum Member

No offense to this guy, but if you mess with deadly or dangerous animals and then get bit, what do you expect? You must expect the worst to happen. If it doesn't, then great - but you must be prepared for it to happen.

Sad loss though. He did a lot of work for education, animals, and the environment.

Oh yeah, I bet it hurt too - just a little bit though.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Fir Na Tine

Read this on Yahoo last night. At least the bloke died doing what he loved best.
    Tom Warshaw
    Station 13 (Bethel)
    Sumter Fire Department

"Scientists believe that the world is composed mainly of hydrogen because in their opinion, it is the most abundant element. I however, feel the earth is composed mainly of stupidity, because it is more abundant than hydrogen." - Frank Zappa

September 11, 2001. We Must Never Forget.

In memory of Thomas Sabella, L-13, FDNY

All opinions stated are my own and do not reflect the opinions of my department or any organization I may belong to.

MembersZone Subscriber

Unhappy

i kinda liked watching him mess with the animals. but like said before if you F@#& with an animal it will bite back. sorry to see him go.
    J

Forum Member

Crikey, that one got me, mate!
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

It's ironic.

All the shows where he messed with crocs, snakes, sharks, and all other manner of beasts that can kill you without breaking a sweat and dies from a freak accident with a ray.

Forum Member

Unhappy Rest in Peace..........

I agree with the other posters .............nice guy but teeters on a power DUH !!

MembersZone Subscriber

Not totally surprising.

Next to go has got to be that German guy who wrestles the venomous snakes and anacondas just to get a good picture.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

"Ain't that a big crock, aye?"

Sucks for his kids and his wife. But....he did die doing what he loved. I thought it would happen sooner or later, the odds just were not with him.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DaSharkie
    No offense to this guy, but if you mess with deadly or dangerous animals and then get bit, what do you expect? You must expect the worst to happen. If it doesn't, then great - but you must be prepared for it to happen.

Sad loss though. He did a lot of work for education, animals, and the environment.

Oh yeah, I bet it hurt too - just a little bit though.

Took the works out of my mouth sharkie.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DaSharkie
    He was a known expert in his field, and I am guessing he took the neccessary precautions. and it seems bad luck led to his untimely death.

firefighters rush into burning buildings, where an IDLH atmosphere exists and both civilians and firefighters have died in the past. how would any of you feel if a LODD was treated as you are treating his death?
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Forum Member

We go into burning buildings and sometimes firefighters die doing it.I just hope that some news"journalist"doesn't get a copy of the tape and show it despite the pleas of his family.
    It's bad enough his daughter was there.She doesn't need to see her father dying.

One of my favorite morning shows,John Boy and Billy's Big Show,would parody him at least once a week"Travelling around the world to find exotic animals ...and annoy the crap out of them".
    I would bet that they end that one quickly.
    I might not have agreed with his politics but he did enjoy what he was doing and lived his beliefs.Can't argue with that.
    Last edited by doughesson; 09-06-2006 at 11:56 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Rest in peace, Crocodile Hunter.

I always enjoyed him.

His "risk-taking behavior" really seems to have nothing to do with his death at all - it sounds like his death was a freak accident involving a relatively benign creature.

The South Park team liked to spoof him - their Croc-Hunter-Type character would grab an animal and say something like "Hey, kids, watch while I stick my thumb up his @$$ - that'll really **** 'im off!"

I hope the spoofs do continue - they are a show of public affection, really.
    -------;- "Aaaaa!!"
    Remember - always wear your helmet around one-eyed women with pike poles

Fir Na Tine

"This is my wife and with her legs in the air like that, she's in the PRIME mating positiong." *motions viewer closer with hand* "I'm gonna grab 'er by the tail."
    Tom Warshaw
    Station 13 (Bethel)
    Sumter Fire Department

"Scientists believe that the world is composed mainly of hydrogen because in their opinion, it is the most abundant element. I however, feel the earth is composed mainly of stupidity, because it is more abundant than hydrogen." - Frank Zappa

September 11, 2001. We Must Never Forget.

In memory of Thomas Sabella, L-13, FDNY

All opinions stated are my own and do not reflect the opinions of my department or any organization I may belong to.

Forum Member

RIP STEVE !
    ******=================
    ******================
    ******=================
    ******================
    =======================
    =======================
    =======================

------GOD BLESS AMERICA ! ------

Disillusioned Subscriber

What ended up being one of the funniest shows I ever saw him do, was when he was in the American Southwest looking for rattlesnakes. He found a female, and he said, "Look at 'er; ain't she beut?!" It was about that time he got this look of "oh ****" on his face and whispered, "Crikey, mate...don't move a bloody muscle."

The camera panned down, and in his excitement he had squatted over an entire nest of smaller rattlesnakes. They didn't appear to be real pleased about him being there. I'm sure from his perspective they were each several feet long.

Steve Irwin was no different from many of us, taking calculated risks based on his training and experience. While it seems like it would take someone that was somewhat short of a full load of bricks to jump on an alligator or agitate a cobra, he probably felt the same about a lot of the things that each of us assume as simply part of our jobs.

He was a true leader in the zoological sciences community, and I doubt any of us can fully appreciate just how much he will be missed.
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

Forum Member

I used to watch his show ALL the time. I'm really gonna miss him going "Crikey, when I was 12, my dad used to tie a rope around my waist and make me wade through the swamp as crocodile bait."
    Just know, I chose my own fate. I drove by the fork in the road and went straight.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingKiwi View Post
    Go put your pussy 2 1/2" lines away kiddies.

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer343

By the way KEEPBACK200FEET, you're so dramatic!

Forum Member
    Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

They still got Paul Hogan. Rest in Peace.
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyThirteen
    "This is my wife and with her legs in the air like that, she's in the PRIME mating positiong." *motions viewer closer with hand* "I'm gonna grab 'er by the tail."

That is just TOO funny!!

RIP, and happy hunting.
    IACOJ

Sr. Information Officer

By DENNIS PASSA
    Associated Press Writer
    BEERWAH, Australia (AP) - Steve Irwin pulled a poisonous
    stingray barb from his chest in his dying moments, his longtime
    manager said Tuesday, after watching videotape of the attack that
    killed the popular "Crocodile Hunter."
    Irwin's body was returned home to Beerwah, a hamlet in
    southeastern Queensland on the fringe of the Outback where he lived
    with his wife and two young children. Irwin turned a modest reptile
    park opened by his parents into Australia Zoo, a wildlife reserve
    that has become an international tourist attraction.
    Terri Irwin, in her first public comment since her husband's
    death, thanked the staff of his zoo in a brief message late
    Tuesday, said spokesman Michael Hornby.
    "She was very choked up. It was a very frail comment," Hornby
    told The Associated Press Wednesday. "But she wanted to say to the
    staff how grateful she was for their support and how much it meant
    to her." Details weren't made public.
    Irwin's father, Bob, thanked his son's fans Wednesday for their
    messages of support and said his son died doing what he loved.
    "There were many things that could have gone wrong," Irwin
    said in a news conference that was broadcast live across Australia.
    "Steve knew the risks (of what) he was doing, and he wouldn't have
    wanted it any other way."
    Hundreds placed bouquets and handwritten notes at an ad hoc
    shrine to the popular 44-year-old naturalist outside the park, and
    other tributes flowed in from Canberra to Hollywood.
    The dramatic details of Irwin's death Monday as he was shooting
    a program on the Great Barrier Reef were disclosed by John
    Stainton, his manager and close friend. He said he had viewed the
    videotape showing the TV star pulling the poisonous stingray barb
    from his chest.
    "It shows that Steve came over the top of the ray and the tail
    came up, and spiked him here (in the chest), and he pulled it out,
    and the next minute he's gone," Stainton told reporters in Cairns,
    the nearest city to tiny Batt Reef off Australia's far northeast
    coast where the accident happened.
    Stainton said the video was "shocking."
    "It's a very hard thing to watch, because you are actually
    witnessing somebody die, and it's terrible," he said.
    The tape was not released to the public. Queensland state police
    took possession of a copy for a coroner's investigation.
    Stainton said the tape should be destroyed when the coroner is
    finished.
    "I would never want that tape shown. I mean, it should be
    destroyed," he said on CNN's "Larry King Live."
    Stainton estimated Irwin's distance from the stingray when the
    attack happened at about three feet.
    State police Superintendent Michael Keating said Irwin was
    "interacting" with the stingray when it flicked its tail and
    speared his chest with the bone-hard serrated spine it bore - the
    normally placid animal's main defense mechanism.
    "There is no evidence Mr. Irwin was threatening or intimidating
    the stingray," Keating said, addressing speculation that a man who
    became famous by leaping on crocodiles and snatching up snakes must
    have been too close for the animal's comfort.
    Irwin's boundless energy and daredevil antics around deadly
    beasts made him a household name as the Discovery Channel's "The
    Crocodile Hunter," with a reported audience of more than 200
    million.
    Australia's leaders interrupted Parliament's normal business to
    eulogize Irwin.
    "He was a genuine, one-off, remarkable Australian individual
    and I am distressed at his death," Prime Minister John Howard
    said.
    His opposition counterpart, Kim Beazley, said: "He was not only
    a great Aussie bloke, he was determined to instill his passion for
    the environment and its inhabitants in everybody he met."
    Friend and Oscar-winner Russell Crowe said from New York: "He
    was and remains the ultimate wildlife warrior."
    The U.S. Embassy issued a statement saying Irwin was an
    unofficial Australian ambassador to the United States.
    "With his humor and irrepressible sense of adventure, he
    represented those things our citizens find most appealing about
    Australia and its wonderful way of life," it said.
    Hundreds of people journeyed Tuesday to Australia Zoo to
    remember Irwin.
    Tia Koivisto drove her daughter Ella, 3, for more than an hour
    from the Queensland capital of Brisbane to lay a floral tribute.
    "I was quite moved by what happened, I felt I had to come up
    and pay my respects," Koivisto said.
    People thronged around the entrance of the park, near a
    billboard featuring Irwin holding a crocodile in his arms and his
    catch phrase, "Crikey!"
    "We're all devastated," said Gail Gipp, the park's hospital
    wildlife manager. "It is very surreal at the moment. We're
    determined to carry on what he would have wanted."
    There was no condolence book, but mourners lined up to sign
    messages onto khaki work shirts - another Irwin trademark - that
    were draped outside the gate. Someone placed flowers in the mouth
    of a wooden crocodile nearby.
    "Mate, you made the world a better place," read one poster
    left at the gate. "Steve, our hero, our legend, our wildlife
    warrior," read another.
    "I thought you were immortal. How I wish that was true," said
    a third.
    Zoo spokesman Peter Lang said Irwin's wife, Terri, of Eugene,
    Ore., daughter Bindi, 8, and son Bob, 2, arrived Monday night from
    the island state of Tasmania, where they had been vacationing when
    Irwin was killed.
    The prime minister offered a state funeral for Irwin if it was
    what the family wished. Bob Irwin said his son would not have
    wanted such a fuss, but he would leave the decision up to Terri.
    "We'll never replace Steve," said Hornby, head of the Wildlife
    Warriors, one of the Irwin family's conservation charities. "He
    was part of the family, like he came out of the television set and
    into your living room. That's why there's been such an outpouring
    of emotion here and around the world. Everybody thought they knew
    him."
    Meanwhile, Animal Planet said it had given no thought to taking
    "The Crocodile Hunter" off the air, said Maureen Smith, the
    network's executive vice president and general manager.
    "Steve's whole mission in life was to educate and inspire the
    public to take care of animals in the world that we share," she
    said. "To continue is the best way to get that message out."
    Irwin was filming a new series, "Ocean's Deadliest Predators,"
    for Animal Planet. Smith said she wasn't aware whether enough
    filming had been done for anything to make it on the air.

APTV 09-06-06 0044EDT
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

Sr. Information Officer

Question Will the tape survive....and wind up on the internet?

By JOCELYN NOVECK
    AP National Writer
    NEW YORK (AP) - "If I'm going to die," the late "Crocodile
    Hunter" Steve Irwin said in a 2002 interview, "at least I want it
    filmed."
    He spoke with his usual humor, and clearly had no idea what
    would happen four years later. But the fact is, a tape does exist
    of Irwin's fatal encounter with a stingray while filming a TV show.
    And so the question arises: In the age of instant Web videos, might
    it get out? And in the broader sense, is making footage of a death
    public ever justified?
    For its part, Discovery Communications, the network where Irwin
    became a star, said there was absolutely no truth to rumors that
    the footage, now in possession of police in Queensland, Australia,
    might be released.
    But that doesn't mean there aren't concerns that someone could
    attempt to get their hands on it and publicize it for lurid means -
    or just to show they had it. That, said media analyst Martin
    Kaplan, would be tantamount to a snuff film.
    "The only remote justification for publicizing this would be
    accident prevention," said Kaplan, of the Annenberg School for
    Communication at the University of Southern California. "But that
    argument is a stretch." Experts say deaths from a stingray
    encounter are exceedingly rare.
    Irwin died Monday at age 44 after being stabbed in the chest by
    the stingray's poisonous spine while filming on the Great Barrier
    Reef.
    He was hugely popular in the United States, becoming a star as
    the "Crocodile Hunter" on Discovery's Animal Planet channel. In
    an interview with Associated Press Radio in 2002, he discussed his
    passion for grappling with crocodiles: "That's what my hand and my
    brains are designed to do," he said with his trademark enthusiasm.
    "That's what I have to give to the world."
    In the same interview, he noted: "If I'm going to die, at least
    I want it filmed ... If we blew a million dollars worth of cameras,
    at least we could have gone to MGM and gone, 'Hey, look at this
    tape."'
    Irwin's manager and close friend, John Stainton, had the painful
    experience of watching the videotape where Irwin pulls the stingray
    barb from his chest. He called it "shocking."
    "It's a very hard thing to watch, because you are actually
    witnessing somebody die, and it's terrible," he told reporters.
    Stainton later said on CNN's "Larry King Live" that he would
    never want the tape shown publicly.
    "I mean, it should be destroyed," Stainton told King on
    Tuesday evening. Noting the tape now is evidence in a coroner's
    inquest, Stainton said, "When that is finally released, it will
    never see the light of day. Ever. Ever. I actually saw it, but I
    don't want to see it again."
    The fact that a tape exists recalls the death of Timothy
    Treadwell, a bear enthusiast who lived among them for a dozen years
    in Alaska before being fatally mauled in 2003. A video camera with
    the lens cap on captured the audio of that attack. It is in
    possession of a friend and has never emerged in public - though in
    his acclaimed documentary "Grizzly Man," director Werner Herzog
    was seen listening to it with headphones on.
    Samuel G. Freedman, who teaches a media ethics class at the
    Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism, says the issue
    is "whether there is any compelling public interest" in the
    release of something so shocking as footage of a death. Here, he
    says, there clearly isn't.
    "The lay person is not going into the water trying to have
    encounters with stingrays," Freedman said. "It would be purely
    titillation and necrophilia if anyone were to show this."
    There are dramatically different cases, Freedman believes, where
    there is a compelling public interest in having the option - as in
    the voluntary click of a mouse - to see the reality of a grisly
    death. To learn the harsh lessons of war, for example, or to
    witness the brutality of the beheadings by Islamic militants in
    Iraq - videos that were posted on Web sites used by the militants.
    (Others have argued that the existence of the militant videos is
    apalling.)
    But those are very particular cases. In general, the
    explanations fall flat, says Kaplan of the Annenberg School, as
    when the Italian magazine that recently published a photo of
    Princess Diana getting oxygen moments after her fatal car crash
    called it "tender" and "touching."
    In an era where almost everything ends up making it to the Web,
    is it inevitable that such a tape as that of Irwin's death would
    emerge?
    "Only in the sense that there's a race for the bottom in our
    culture," Kaplan says. "This will take substantial vigilance on
    the part of the family."

APTV 09-05-06 2241EDT
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Exclamation Stupid is as stupid does!

In the words of Red Foreman, "Dumb*****."

He bugged anyway. Hopefully, his offspring is a little sharper.... Carlos Mencia and Bill Engvall were right.

09.11.01--Never Forgotten
    FTM_PTB

"Darn those pesky flaming mice."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FF2BKE
    In the words of Red Foreman, "Dumb*****."

He bugged anyway. Hopefully, his offspring is a little sharper.... Carlos Mencia and Bill Engvall were right.

So I guess in your mind if a FF or a cop dies they are dumb*****es ?
    Thats what your saying essentialy. That if you have a dangerous job then you deserve to die .

Guess I am a double dumb***** then being a LEO and a V.F.F. huh.
    ******=================
    ******================
    ******=================
    ******================
    =======================
    =======================
    =======================

------GOD BLESS AMERICA ! ------

Thread Information