+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... Last
    Forum Member

Question Do Volunteer get badges

i was wondering if volunteer get a badge when he or she is hired for the servcies
    Last edited by firesideky; 09-04-2006 at 11:41 PM.

Forum Member

Well, first off, volunteers don't get "hired". Secondly, I imagine whether or not they get a badge would depend on the specific dept's policy. I would venture a guess that EVERY firefighter, paid or vollie, has at least one badge for their dress uniform. Wallet badges are probably less common, however.

MembersZone Subscriber

Why does this topic get a thumbs down?

Forum Member

Talking re

Quote Originally Posted by Golzy12
    Why does this topic get a thumbs down?
    sorry i pick the wong sign i wanted to question mark thanks for the replys

Forum Member

I have seen some depts with volunteers having a badge...

MembersZone Subscriber

Not here. Only LAFC (Local Assistant to the Fire Commissioner), who are usually CHief's and Deputies are issued badges.

Now anyone can carry a Dept issued wallet card or similar ID, and that is usually more than sufficient for the needs of a Volley.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mcaldwell
    Not here. Only LAFC (Local Assistant to the Fire Commissioner), who are usually CHief's and Deputies are issued badges.

Now anyone can carry a Dept issued wallet card or similar ID, and that is usually more than sufficient for the needs of a Volley.
    I am sorry, but I disagree. Why would the needs of a "Volley" be any different than that of a career firefighter? We have pride in showing off our uniforms during special functions such as Fire Prevention Training and Parades. We also wear our uniforms to our annual awards ceremony.
    Do you do any of these functions?

Please don't let this become another "volley" verses "career" thread!!
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Fir Na Tine

Like Chauffer6, its usually going to boil down to an individual department's wishes/guidlines. Here in Sumter, the county firefighters (volunteer) are issued the same badge as the city (full-time). Its worn for special occasions (parades, fire prevention, etc.), but its not uncommon to see vollies wearing duty uniforms (personal choice) while hanging around the firehouses.

Cheers,
    Tom Warshaw
    Station 13 (Bethel)
    Sumter Fire Department

"Scientists believe that the world is composed mainly of hydrogen because in their opinion, it is the most abundant element. I however, feel the earth is composed mainly of stupidity, because it is more abundant than hydrogen." - Frank Zappa

September 11, 2001. We Must Never Forget.

In memory of Thomas Sabella, L-13, FDNY

All opinions stated are my own and do not reflect the opinions of my department or any organization I may belong to.

Sr. Information Officer

Question

Quote Originally Posted by firesideky
    i was wondering if volunteer get a badge when he or she is hired for the servcies
    Dear firesideky,

If you're thinking of becoming a volunteer firefighter...so you can get a badge...you're doing it for the wrong reason.

Firefighting is a passion. Firefighting is a brotherhood. Firefighting is NOT something you pin on your chest....it's something that comes from within; from the heart.

Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

Forum Member

Talking

I can find one of our old "Junior Fire Chief" toy badges and mail it if it is that important to him...
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

We get 2 different fire department badges. One goes on your hat, and one goes on your uniform.

Badges are NOT to be kept in wallets or taken anywhere without your unifiform.

When I rode for an EMS agency, we were given small badges.

I carry a regular EMT badge in my wallet (i heard a rumor State EMT badges are illegal to carry in wallets??? not sure how accurate that is though.. like for example a NJ state EMT badge or a NY state EMT badge, oppsed to a regular EMT style badge)
    Adam, EMT-B

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Adam07003
    We get 2 different fire department badges. One goes on your hat, and one goes on your uniform.

Badges are NOT to be kept in wallets or taken anywhere without your unifiform.

When I rode for an EMS agency, we were given small badges.

I carry a regular EMT badge in my wallet (i heard a rumor State EMT badges are illegal to carry in wallets??? not sure how accurate that is though.. like for example a NJ state EMT badge or a NY state EMT badge, oppsed to a regular EMT style badge)
    You guys get state badges for being emt's? All I got was a stinking patch (and with one state they didn't even do that).
    Fir Na Tine
    Fir Na Au Saol

the 4-1-4

Please don't let this become another "volley" verses "career" thread!!

Didn't you just do that?

MembersZone Subscriber

Nope.
    We don't get badges or uniforms. We get a county issued ID card and a department issued ID card. The officers have badges, but I'm not sure why.

Forum Member

Talking re:NJFFSA16

Quote Originally Posted by NJFFSA16
    Dear firesideky,

If you're thinking of becoming a volunteer firefighter...so you can get a badge...you're doing it for the wrong reason.

Firefighting is a passion. Firefighting is a brotherhood. Firefighting is NOT something you pin on your chest....it's something that comes from within; from the heart.

i just ask a question and i have put in for Rineyville Vol Fire and i am also attending ECTC for FF1 And FF2 and i plan to go al the Fire Officer III and get my Associate in Applied Science in Fire/Rescue Science Technology :-)

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Okay, a couple of comments:

Chauffer6: Well, first off, volunteers don't get "hired".
    That certainly isn't true here. Although I guess we are not a "traditional" volly FD. We get paid so much a call, not by the hour, just per call. We have an appilcation process, a background check, approval by our village board, police department and Fire Chief before they become a member of the FD. Then they are on 6 months probation with education and training requirements that must be met. If they fail to meet the requirements there is a stepped procedure for discipline and removal. This process removed favoritism and the good old boy network thing.

THEFIRENUT: Please don't let this become another "volley" verses "career" thread!!
    No one had even hinted at that until you brought it up. Hence YOU made it a career vs. volly issue.

NJFFSA16:

I might be wrong but I think it was a simple new guy type question. Although we have had members who cared more about a t-shirt or jacket than actually being productive members so you could be right.

Okay onto the original topic...My volly FD issues after completed probation a dress unifrom shirt with patches. If you desire a department badge and name plate you must buy them yourself from the department's approved site and in the same style as approved.

FyredUp

Forum Member

We do. Members are given a small badge that they can put in their wallet (though very few do). After 1 year, everyone is issued a dress uniform that comes with a shirt badge and a hat badge.

firesideky, sometimes you ask a simple question - you'll get simple answers, sometimes, you'll get some "attitude" from posters....
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by needlejockey
    You guys get state badges for being emt's? All I got was a stinking patch (and with one state they didn't even do that).
    No, no state badge for being an EMT. Although im told they do have them available... i have a generic EMT badge/wallet I bought when I became an EMT.
    Adam, EMT-B

Forum Member

Thumbs up

We don't have uniforms or badges down here. We did have a guy who went out and got a badge for himself. He wears it on his Wal-Mart vest to look important. And no, he's not on our dept anymore.
    Last edited by allison20; 09-05-2006 at 04:12 PM. Reason: wrong quote

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by allison20
    We did have a guy who went out and got a badge for himself. He wears it on his Wal-Mart vest to look important.
    I can't even post what went through my head when I read that, I'd get banned in 2 seconds flat.

Forum Member

Default I cant believe nobody said it yet!

Badges,We dont need no stinkin badges!

Forum Member
    On the flatest land around! (In central Il.)

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by NJFFSA16

It has been said

MembersZone Subscriber

Hmmmm.
    I served on a volunteer fire department, got a badge that has been in my wallet ever since and now I feel so...inadequate.
    Do I have to give it back since I wasn't "hired"?
    And all those times that I flashed it to the cop as I got out of my unmarked POV at an accident scene: was I just, dare I say it...power-tripping?
    Twenty-five plus years in the service will have to be re-written.
    Little guy in my head will be working over-time.
    STELLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

Forum Member

From a volunteer in PA, after we complete our probation, we are given a blue dress shirt with company patch and American flag patch, name plate that goes over top of the breast pocket, black neck tie (clip on), axe tie tac, and a stinkin' badge.

The fire fighter supplies the black pants and shoes. This makes up the official all weather dress uniform of my fire co. We cannot wear this dress uniform except for official functions. I don't know why anyone would wear part or all of the uniform for anything other than official functions but i know some do. The last time I wore my dress uniform was for the St. Patricks Day parade which was 6 months ago. I'm looking forward to wearing it next time because I have since received my PA FF1 keystone patch which is on the sleeve and there ain't too many of them patches bein sported round here.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp
    Okay, a couple of comments:

No one had even hinted at that until you brought it up. Hence YOU made it a career vs. volly issue.

FyredUp
    If I were to reread the posts, I would see this from mcaldwell: "and that is usually more than sufficient for the needs of a Volley."

So it WAS hinted before I brought it up. His statement (whether he ment to or not) said that "Volleys" don't need the same things as "Careers". (I can't beleive you didn't catch that.) So go ahead and jump on my back. Besides....it really doesn't matter because I'm just a Volley!!!!!!
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... Last

Thread Information