Forty-three-year-old Errett Miller of Staunton was assistant
    chief of the Posey Township Volunteer Fire Department. He died
    yesterday after he lost control of the tanker truck on a sharp
    curve on a county road. The vehicle rolled several times, ejecting
    him.
    Because Miller died in the line of duty, the State Fire
    Marshal's Office will investigate.

Forum Member

I tried to post this the day after it happened...but the site was being picky.

I'm in Vermillion County...just two counties over from Clay County. This is sad. I have a good friend who used to belong to my department...and was on Posey Twp for a period. This hurts being so close to home. We recently had our training on tanker operations...and vehicle safety was most of the discussion.

I pray for the family and the departments members for this tragic loss here in the Wabash Valley.

Neil Costello
    Fairview Park VFD
    Clinton, Vermillion Co., IN
    Assistant Chief

Forum Member

Neil,
    I was on the department with Errett for 7 years. I was the first female to ever make it past the 6 month probation period. Errett was one of the few men who gave me a chance. He was a great firefighter and a great teacher. I learned so much from him. He will be greatly missed

Forum Member

I'm sorry for your loss...being you were on the department with Errett. LODD's are tragic to hear about much less be close to. This really made me stop and look at everyone last night at our regular meeting...to see the faces and realize my most important job is the safety of everyone in the room. I'm hard on our members about safety. I often get dirty looks...yet I smile inside knowing its for their own good. We often talk of apparatus safety and practice our skills. Yet I know its still a tough line to walk for them.

I'm 32...been doing this for 11 years...and hope I don't see this again. Yet I become most cautions when everything seems to be going perfectly and when "nothing could go wrong".

Again, my most sincere sorrow and prayers go out to Posey TWP and the mutual aid departments of Clay County, IN.
    Assistant Chief

Forum Member

Thank You!

Forum Member

Unhappy Thank You

Quote Originally Posted by djffw8220
    Neil,
    I was on the department with Errett for 7 years. I was the first female to ever make it past the 6 month probation period. Errett was one of the few men who gave me a chance. He was a great firefighter and a great teacher. I learned so much from him. He will be greatly missed

I hope I am doing this correctly. Errett was my brother and I want every one of you to know how much all your kind words and thoughts mean to his family. Errett was not only a husband, father and grandfather but also a son and brother. Errett's Mother has aged 10 years this week. The very sad part of the whole story is that Errett was killed going to an ARSON fire and the other fire department cancelled the call just minutes after calling it in. The fire department was doing what they thought was best. I understand that but if the person had not started it, my brother would be here to celebrate his 44th birthday 09-09-2006.

Forum Member

Our department battled 6 arson fires this spring starting in May and lasting nearly 2 months. They were all in the same region of town and involved total destruction of occupied homes, garages on private properties and automobiles. It was a trying time for our relatively small department. We battled through it and worked closely with the State of Indiana Fire Marshal's Office. But no arrests were ever made and the possibility of another such scenario at any point in time keeps us on edge.

However my biggest fear in all of this was the possibility of a member being hurt of killed out of a criminals malicious intent. It makes me very upset to understand that Posey Township suffered the tragic loss of a member...who was above all else...a caring and loving human being with a life seperate from any fire department...all at the will of a criminal. I pray that they find this person...but that will never repay the family for their loss. Ever.

This summer, another department in our county was battling an arson fire when a wall collapsed nearly taking the life of a firefighter. He was airlifted to Indianapolis where he recovered with a broken back. Shortly afterwards...it was discovered that a fellow firefighter was the culprit arsonist.

I've had enough of arson fires lately...and Posey Twp's loss only makes it that much harder on me personally.
    Assistant Chief

Thread Information