Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CSA Contract!?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default CSA Contract!?

I have been looking into CSA out of kuwait and I am very impressed with there benefits and living conditions.

Is there anyone on this thead currently working for or worked for that can pass on any information regarding the company. Work hrs? leadership? training? living? recreation and so on?

thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

Cowfire, I worked for CSA for 2 years and can help you out. Just send me an email to pyromike66@yahoo.com.

Mike

MembersZone Subscriber

I am considering going through CSA...any suggestions? I have also reasearched KBR and WSI...any thoughts on these?

Thanks!

MembersZone Subscriber

Go to CSA!!! Little less money but from what I have been told by pyro and the csakuwait.com website its WORTH the less pay.

MembersZone Subscriber

I am looking for alittle more info on csa. How much is the pay? and what kind of hours do they work?

MembersZone Subscriber

Salary depends on hours and OT. Just heard that the hours are going to be 24 on 48 off. Expect between 65 - 75K salary (that is including per diem and end of contract bonus).

MembersZone Subscriber

How difficult is it to get on with them? What all do they provide for leave wise? I saw on their site that they give you a trip to Frankfurt Germany at 6 months. Also lastly, I know it's a year long contract, but what happens if you find that Kuwait just ain't for you and you want out of the contract?

One more lastly - How dangerous is this? What kind of safeguards are there?
    Last edited by needlejockey; 09-23-2006 at 05:41 PM. Reason: another thought
    Fir Na Tine
    Fir Na Au Saol

MembersZone Subscriber

You can get out of any contract if you want. You have to remember is that it can follow you if you decide to continue contract work, that you quit before your contract ended. I know for us in Iraq its more dangerous than kuwaut, you should ne ok but like anywhere you never no man. Just be smart about what you go out and do and dont run around whearing clothes that say USA RULZZZZZZ!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Cowfire is right about getting out of a contract. But, with CSA anyway, you will forfeit the end of contract bonus (approx 3K), and I believe if you quit within the probationary period (90 days) you will have to pay back all costs including the flight to and from Kuwait (another 3K) and any other costs that CSA provided to get you there. If you pass the initial 90 days and then quit, you will just have to pay for the return flight. Dont quote me on those specific details as I can't remember exactly. Remember that if you do quit, you will possibly "burn your bridge" there and hurt your chances for working there again in the future.

It is a little difficult getting on initially. They are very specific about who they hire, cert and experience wise, because of the past morons that have been hired, and also because of being full staffed. If you apply just be patient and keep buggin the recruiters. I also just heard that alot of firefighters I knew there are about to finish their contracts. So they may be needing ff's soon.

As far as safety goes, ill just say that I was there 2 years and never felt threatened in any way. Like Cowfire says, just got to keep your head on and don't be stupid...remember that we are a guest in their country. The US Embassy will post potential threats periodically, which we always read to be aware of the surroundings. However, a HUGE danger I believe, is the driving. Absolutely crazy and I responded to quite a few fatal accidents (involving both servicemembers and civilians) because of the "no - rules" driving. Its no joke.

Hope this helps

Mike
    Last edited by pyromike66; 09-24-2006 at 04:13 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the info. I hadn't really thought about doing this until recently, but it seems like a really nice deal. Hopefully I'll hear back from them soon.
    Fir Na Tine
    Fir Na Au Saol

MembersZone Subscriber

Oh, CSA will pay for a ticket to Frankfurt at the 6 month point or give you cash - in - leiu if you choose to go somewhere else ($860).

MembersZone Subscriber

One last thing (probably not but worth saying it), I was reading on their requirments for the job that they want you to have attended a "formal academy". Me being a volunteer I've never had the occassion to attend something that's pretty much reserved for most paid guys. Any thoughts on if that will make a difference? I've still got the certifications, just no "formal academy".
    Fir Na Tine
    Fir Na Au Saol

MembersZone Subscriber

I don't know the specific rules on this one. Could be a case by case situation. If you have enough paid and/or military experience, and the certs, I would still apply and see what happens.

Forum Member

Talking Oh, rell ro PyroMike Don't I know you from somewhere?

Hey Mikey,
    Now don't let these good people just know the finner parts of Kuwait. There's a drawback. Nothing's as good as it seems. Its a good way to come home with some equity but remember you go there alone and its a far place. You need to know who you can trust as fast as possible so if you're a bad judge of character don't go. Also, if you're looking for an education I hope you look inward cause its all self taughtor whatever guys are willing to share. The training dept is a joke. I only add that because of high expectation I had. Also, rumor has it that being former Marine helps you get in. Hey, don't shoot the messsanger...its just what I heard.

The Black Widow

Forum Member

Hey FireGirl
    You should not be as concerned about other peoples character as you should your own. Those who do, Do and those who dont find a forum to bit** on.

MembersZone Subscriber

FireGirl, if you are who I think you are, then yes you do know me from somewhere. Could it be the V-ball court? Anyway, you should know...if you go there if an open mind then everything will be fine. A good judge of one's character and maturity is to see how that individual adapts to any given situation at any time. Truth is, that not everyone is suited for this type of work. Its a contract job. No one is forcing anyone to go, or stay once they get there. Sure, there were difficult times but I made the best of it (unlike all the cry-babies that just whined the entire time) and came out with a good experience. I also knew exactly what I was getting into (remember..the Chief told EVERYONE he hired what to expect). Maybe you didn't get what you wanted out of there, but I did and plus more. To each his/her own eh? As far as being former Marine? I disagree completely. I'm not a former Marine and I got in. I also knew several guys, and girls, who had no military time whatsoever.

In the end, it's all about good times. Not the bad.

MembersZone Subscriber

FireGirl,

P.S. I am telling everyone MY story. Not yours or anyone else's. If you have a story, then feel free to post it. Two sides to a story are always better than one.

MembersZone Subscriber

Are the contractors protecting the military bases over there, or are they in the actual Iraqi territorry?

MembersZone Subscriber

CSA operates in Kuwait only.

MembersZone Subscriber

I've never been there, but I've heard the "Marine" comment about the Kuwait job several times (though never to the point of excluding non-Marines) and I believe it to be true. And justly so.

Frankly speaking, anyone in this business should expect that a prior-service firefighter is going to have a much larger leg up on a civilian, and that anyone with prior service is still going to have a hell of a start on his resume if he has comparable skills to you. It's just good business-sense .. people who have performed well in any of the services are going to be able to perform in a far-away location that is completely unlike the civilian world. All contract work (at least as people here primarily view it) is an extension of military work, so they SHOULD be chosen with priority.

Also, having worked with several Marines, most have a hell of a work ethic, and have this habit of working an honest 8 to 10 hours a day (or at least looking really busy), which if I were an employer would be a big plus in my book. The only drawback to Marine firefighters from my limited experiance is that while in the Corps they are primarily ARFF firefighters (someone correct me if I am wrong) and are weak on the structural side when they come to the workforce. With that said though, they have the same foundation as any other military firefighter (which is to say, good) and usually within a short time are up to speed and completely competant and capable members of a crew. So if you're aware of their background, know their (general) work ethic, and that they've proven themselves to be able to work in remote and often unfriendly areas--they sound like the perfect people to hire for any contract job.

So um, who cares if there is preference given? It's like trying to say that we're not being fair to the spoon because it could pick up a piece of steak just as well as a fork. Sure, it probably can, be we already know that a fork is really well-suited to the job.

Thread Information