Forum Member

Default ff in the uk considering moving to usa. help needed

hi,
    this is probably a question that has been asked b4. currently i'm a FF in the uk and i'm considering moving to america and i can not find any info about joining the fire department in the usa.

the questions i have are:

1. where can i find info.
    2. does anyone know of anyone else who has done this.

any help would be appreciated.

MembersZone Subscriber

Contact me directly at editor@sconfire.com so I can let you know your options.
    Always remember the CHARLESTON 9

Captain Grant Mishoe, Curator of History
    North Charleston and American LaFrance Fire Museum
    "You'll never know where you're going until you remember where you came from"
    www.legacyofheroes.org
    www.firehistory.org
    www.sconfire.com

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up Well,.............

WELCOME!........ Couple of things.... sconfire will be a big help to you I'm sure. Should you be coming to the Mid-Atlantic area, I would be happy to help you find something. America has about 35,000 separate Fire departments, Totally Independent of each other. There is no National Fire Service, and never will be, we're way too independent minded for that. Oh Yes, please remember to drive on the right side of the road, and discontinue the practice of putting a "u" between the "o" and the "r". It's "Color" not Colour" here. The other spelling item that drives us nuts is transposing the "r" and the "e" as in "Centre", which in America is spelled "Center". Sorry, I couldn't resist the grammer lesson (Right, SteveDude? ) Anyway, we'll be glad to have you here. Best wishes for a safe voyage.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

thanks for the welcome.
    I suppose it would make it a bit moe interesting if i were to say i was welsh and we spell some english/american words differently from you both.

To be honest, after my conversation with sconfire today i would consider anywhere in the USA but it depends if they (the station manager) want me!

Permanently Removed

Hi there. He have discussed this before. I think it could be a rough, but fun ride.

First, here is a forum based website like this that is dedicated to getting hired in the fire service- http://www.firecareers.com/forum.cfm

Second, find a cute American girl and marry her. Silly, but might be the first step towards becoming a citizen.

And when you do get here, getting a private industry job (AMR, Rural Metro) might be your first career step.

Please feel free to contact me if you want to look for employment in California. I can give you the run down here.
    Last edited by CALFFBOU; 09-14-2006 at 11:29 PM.

This space for rent
    Recently relocated to Baltimore County, MD

Quote Originally Posted by CALFFBOU
    First, here is a forum based website like this that is dedicated to getting fired in the fire service- http://www.firecareers.com/forum.cfm
    Bou I thought he was looking at obtaining a job
    Tom

Never Forget 9-11-2001

Stay safe out there!

IACOJ Member

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods
    WELCOME!........ Couple of things.... sconfire will be a big help to you I'm sure. Should you be coming to the Mid-Atlantic area, I would be happy to help you find something. America has about 35,000 separate Fire departments, Totally Independent of each other. There is no National Fire Service, and never will be, we're way too independent minded for that. Oh Yes, please remember to drive on the right side of the road, and discontinue the practice of putting a "u" between the "o" and the "r". It's "Color" not Colour" here. The other spelling item that drives us nuts is transposing the "r" and the "e" as in "Centre", which in America is spelled "Center". Sorry, I couldn't resist the grammer lesson (Right, SteveDude? ) Anyway, we'll be glad to have you here. Best wishes for a safe voyage.

H, you are killing mere here before I get started....

Seriously though Peehead....
    If I were you I would do it. Unfortunately for me, I am an ADO in LFB with 20 years in and my pension to well 'cooked' to start again...add to that I have three kids, the eldest of which is in secondary school it would be unfair and financial suicide for me to move at this point.... although I think it is fair to say we will be looking that way when I retire and I'd bet a good portion of my Pension lump sum you will find me on the back of a Fire Truck in the US before my time is done.

You will find life in the US Fire Service a lot different. They do not work to the same National structure that we do and you'd better be prepared to take on medical calls something pretty unheard off over here in the UK.

Depending on where you are and where you are intending to go, you will find that you don't attend anywhere near the amount of Fires that you do now...off course that depends...if you are in somewhere like Cumbria, Norfolk, Dorset etc and you are going to NYC, Chicago LA and so on you will see plenty more fires...but if you are a Met or busy County Brigade Fireman and move to a pleasant US state...you will have to realise that the US isn't the sh1thole that large parts of urban Britain is so don't expect to be turning up to flat fires, burning derelicts and so on.

You will also find the system of Firefighting in the US is a lot different. I'd spend some time if I were you learning about they way they fight fires.... Engine Companies do the Firefighting...Ladder Companies do Ventilation, Rescue, Salvage etc...

Good luck mate and keep us posted on how you get on...Sconfire is well versed on how we work in the UK so will be a very useful contact for you.
    Steve Dude
    IACOJ member
    www.fireservice.co.uk

London Fire Brigade...."Can Do"

'Irony'... It's a British thing.

MembersZone Subscriber

Peehead, I am from the UK now a US Citizen, if there is anything I can help you with, please let me know, will be happy to assist where I can, its not easy to get here, but well worth the effort. You can contact me either at protomkv@aol.com or greshamflyer@aol.com

Forum Member

Wink

Second, find a cute American girl and marry her. Silly, but might be the first step towards becoming a citizen.

Good luck with that.

I can't and I already live here.

Forum Member

i know, it's hard enough to find a cute girl in the uk never mind in the U.S

Forum Member

I am a citizen, and am having a bit of trouble finding the cute american girls... available ones anyway.
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter
    IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

Forum Member

Question

thanks for the advice guys, but i still cant find a starting point really on how and who to approach on getting the ball moving. i told the county officer and i got an "oh, ok then". gonna give the U.S embassy a call tuesday as to what they think, but as i will be doing a public service it shouldn't be that hard, should it?

Forum Member

I think that a lot of what you want to know depends on where you are looking to move to. I mean the US is a hell of a lot larger than the UK. We don't all do it the same. You have West Coast vs East Coast, North vs South, it just really depends on where you want to live. Pick out a place and then you can better define your search for a department and the best way to join them.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lewiston2Capt
    I am a citizen, and am having a bit of trouble finding the cute american girls... available ones anyway.
    That one cracked me up.
    "Yeah, but as I've always said, this country has A.D.D." - Denis Leary

http://www.lettertogop.com/

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GodSendRain
    That one cracked me up.
    Glad I could help!
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter
    IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

Fir Na Tine

Quote Originally Posted by GFDLT1
    Pick out a place and then you can better define your search for a department and the best way to join them.
    That right there is the best advice peehead. Once you have a general area decided on, forum members from that chosen area would be more able to assist you with information.
    Tom Warshaw
    Station 13 (Bethel)
    Sumter Fire Department

"Scientists believe that the world is composed mainly of hydrogen because in their opinion, it is the most abundant element. I however, feel the earth is composed mainly of stupidity, because it is more abundant than hydrogen." - Frank Zappa

September 11, 2001. We Must Never Forget.

In memory of Thomas Sabella, L-13, FDNY

All opinions stated are my own and do not reflect the opinions of my department or any organization I may belong to.

Forum Member

ok guys, in an ideal world i would like to go either to:
    1. Los Angeles.
    2. New Jersey.
    3. New York.
    4. Washington DC.

and somewhere on the coast where it's nice as obviously i'm going to settle there. All those who live in those areas get in contact and let me know how you guys work.

MembersZone Subscriber

You will find that the hardest part will be at your end, you will be spending many hours queing (in line) at the US Embassy in grosvenor square to get a visa, and believe me it is not an easy task. and if you are successful in getting accepted you must then be able to support yourself over here. For two years you will not be able to get any benifits, its not like the UK where immigrants can go on the dole rightaway. Also some depts over here will not hire you if you are not a US citizen. If you are lucky enough to get hired on a US fire dept, forget all that you learned in the UK and start from scratch, and never, but never say "We dont do it that way in the UK" cos if you do, you will be told very politely to go back where you came from. I wish you luck.

MembersZone Subscriber

I got a guy on my department that came from southern Britain. He was on a mine rescue team over there. I can put you two in touch if you would like.

I think you better get used to red tape if your going to get a visa. Lots of laws have changed and are chaging to get in the US. I'm sure my guy can help you with that as well. Email me direct if you are interested....
    dickeydo@charter.net
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

email sent dickey.

Forum Member

I live and work in California and most of the FD's in California have a hiring process. Which usually includes a written exam, physical agility test and an oral interview, from which a hiring list is compiled. Many Fire dept's have certain requirements that must be met before you can even go through the testing process for the dept.
    Some of the requirements may include.
    A valid Ca. drivers license.
    A state certified fire academy.
    Paramedic cert.

So I guess a good starting point here in Calif. would be to obtain a Ca DL. and try to get into a fire academy.

Good luck.
    Jeff.

Forum Member

We have a paramedic from Germany named Helmut Vanlicktanstein.

Okay, I made his last name up. If your a paramedic and still breathing on your own, Memphis will hire you.

Your best bet is going to be to move here and then look for a job. No fire department is going to hire you without having you go through the same hiring process as everyone else and that normally takes several weeks at best.

So decide where you want to live and move there.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Thread Information