Thread: 09-11-01

MembersZone Subscriber

Default 09-11-01

As a somber 5 years have past,and we spend a day reflecting on those who are no longer with us, and I wonder what will others be doing to remember? Me?
    I will arrive at home in the morning from shift, make sure The Stars & Bars are at half-mast, say a silent prayer as I re-read the list of names etched with-in my mind,turn off the media and the silence the political spindoctors for just a while.................
    Try to write down every aspect of where I was,what I was doing,who I shared those fateful moments with when a part of my soul was forever erased...............
    Grab my children, and hold them close, and try once more to answer questions that defy logic.......
    Kiss my wife, and collapse when the weight of rememberance hits me full.....
    as she reassures me "We do not stand alone"
    I remember, and will pry every last memory free,,,
    To all of those who were left behind,, I swear.......
    Never Forget, Never Forget, Never Forget
    Fight Fire Aggressively,But Provide for SAFTEY First!!!!!!

Forum Member

Default Thank you

I am realizing that being a new guy to the website and having little to no credibility that I really didn't have the right to post anything to the American-Firefighter website.
    I would like to take a step back and introduce myself. I am a 10 year veteran of the US Army. My time in the Army was very rewarding and has exposed me to a brotherhood that is very hard to find in today's corporate America.

I have always had a profound respect for Firefighters. This respect and awe was exemplified as I watched Firefighters come together as a cohesive unit during the tragic events on September 11th.

I, as I imagine many of you, remember exactly where I was on this day. I was a sleep in my bed in Schofield Barracks, Hawaii when I got a phone call from my infantry buddy, SSG Sloan, at 0430. I turned on the TV just as the second plane struck the tower....

I was amazed at the selflessness, dedication to each other, and the honor each of the men and women of the FDNY and others working at ground zero. It struck a cord with me and strengthened my respect for their duty.

In my service after these events I was privy to triumphant successes and at times unbearable losses as I took part in defending this nation's way of life and ideals abroad...I looked at it as almost seeking retribution for my countrymen who had their lives taken in the name of hatred. On 15 September I called my platoon into my office and we sat and watched the news coverage on CNN. I used what I called the "Fireman's Brotherhood" to motivate my 15 man team and build an even stronger bond between members. Even in the face of a loss of a life my troops fell upon YOUR strength and sense of duty to complete the mission.

I am forever grateful to all Firefighters across the Nation for their dedication to protecting us at home. Now that I am out (of the Army) I have realized that Firefighters are the nation's un-sung heroes. With station closures, menial salaries and at times being used as political tokens, your jobs are one of the most important in our day-to-day lives. I still find myself running from the house to see a screaming fire truck going by the house and I have passed that onto my two little girls….

In closing I would like to thank all of you for what you do. I would also ask that you all take a moment to honor a different type of Firefighters...the Marines, Soldiers, Sailors, and Airmen who are standing on the front lines of our freedom and those who have also paid the ultimate sacrifice. Never leave a man behind and God Bless America.

http://icasualties.org/oif/BY_DOD.aspx ß A link to the name of every Marine, Soldier, Sailor, and Airmen who has lost their life in Iraq.

Respectfully,

Andrew M. Farmer

Thread Information