Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default How to dispose of old SCBA's?

We recieved new MSA SCBA's about a year and a half ago. At that time, I contacted Helping Our Own about donating our old ISI packs to them. They told me they'd get back to me within the next 3 months. I've called them about every 6 months since then, the most recently today. It seems they are on the verge of ceasing to exist. I would still like to donate these packs to an organization where they will be utilized. Are there any similar organizations out there, or should I just trash them?

Going through the same story here. Did you check with your "local" ISI rep? Maybe they can help pass them on. There's a fire company in Kentucky that has been "adopted" by some of my local companies and we try to send stuff down there when possible. Couple guys go and make the drive, which cuts the shipping costs. Have a feeling my just replaced SCBA's may be making that trip along with 20+ sets of turnout gear.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

heck i'll take one off your hands if needed. if not try out the louisiana area. they have a lot of departments that need help with stuff.
    J

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42
    Going through the same story here. Did you check with your "local" ISI rep? Maybe they can help pass them on. There's a fire company in Kentucky that has been "adopted" by some of my local companies and we try to send stuff down there when possible. Couple guys go and make the drive, which cuts the shipping costs. Have a feeling my just replaced SCBA's may be making that trip along with 20+ sets of turnout gear.
    I asked our ISI dealer if he wanted them for parts and he said no. He wasn't the best rep which is part of the reason we no longer use ISI. Some of these packs are in pretty rough condition which is why Helping Our Own was appealing... they would have refurbished them prior to donating them. I like the Louisiana suggesion, but shipping would be killer.

Forum Member

if the packs were bought using relief association funds, contact your state's auditor general's office. They might be able to provide you with a list of company's that also have relief associations that could use them.

If bought with company money, try donating them to a company in some other part of the state. I know that in PA, there are a lot of companies who have some really out dated equipment. Usually, if you cannot use them, someone else can.

Good luck

You can send it here if you want...

CSFA

Forum Member

I am not sure where you are located, but the Texas Forest Service has a helping hands program that takes in used equippment. It may be a good idea to contact them and see if they are interested.

http://txforestservice.tamu.edu/
    K-9 hunt, the ultimate challange.
    EVERYONE GOES HOME
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

One thing I have not seen is weather the SCBA's are still in hydro. If they are, they I'm sure they will be of great use to some poorer departments. If they are out of hydro, I'm not sure what do with ours. We also just upgraded to MSA, and have about 30 Draeger packs, with most bottles out of hydro. I had heard that you can sell them out of country (Mexico, South America, etc..) where they do not follow NFPA, but I have not been able to locate anything in writing regarding it.

Also, Safety33, can you email me?. We have some Scott masks and regulators that came of our Tower. Thought you guys might want to take them off our hands. They are barely used, and were kept in the bucket since new. Thanks!

Here's my email: jtfire80@aol.com

Forum Member

Default Try contacting these guys

You can probably get rid of them by contacting these guys :

www.dalmationfire.com

They specialize in refurbished SCBA's.

Good luck.

Forum Member

Default Help

Gentlemen,

I am looking for help. I am a memmber of a brand new start up fire compnay(#7) in Jefferson County WV. We are in need of assistance. If you have anything no matter how old, as long as it is is in working order, we could use it. Everything from handtols, axes, pike pole, saws, flashlights, gear, SCBA, pass alarms ect....

Currently we are running tanker assist only to the other county companys, due to lack of equipment and being so new. We are operating out of a pole barn that is privately owned. The aparattus we do have was bought by the chief personally.

If you have anything, or are upgrading and would like to donate you old stuff, we would be happy to give it a home. We would perfer scott air packs only becuase that is what the rest of the county uses.

Feel free to contact me for more specific's and details.

Any well established, generous, departmetns out there want to adopt us????

Brian
    bferris01@hotmail.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Firetacoma1
    We recieved new MSA SCBA's about a year and a half ago. At that time, I contacted Helping Our Own about donating our old ISI packs to them. They told me they'd get back to me within the next 3 months. I've called them about every 6 months since then, the most recently today. It seems they are on the verge of ceasing to exist. I would still like to donate these packs to an organization where they will be utilized. Are there any similar organizations out there, or should I just trash them?
    Nothing new with this. It took at least 18 months and MANY emails for them to get here to pickup our old Scott IIAs but finally their truck showed up last fall. Great idea but just does not seem to be working. As far as I can tell they have not even bother to update their website (at all) in, at least, the last 2 years.
    Last edited by neiowa; 09-16-2006 at 11:47 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

They stood us up as well. I waited at the station most of the night with a load of scba, tog, portable pumps and hose. Oh well.

Forum Member

Another option would be to donate them to your local EMS or if there are any PD department tactical units, SWAT, etc...

If its old ISI (or new for that matter) do everyone a favour and encase in 3 feet thick concrete, take to the deepest part of any ocean and drop it overboard.

Thread Information