Forum Member

Default Trying to get hired on a DOD base, and im at a loss

I am at a loss as what to do to get hired on a DoD base. Iíve been searching and submitting for about a year and a half now, and not even a phone call or e-mail. I mean come on, you would think in that amount of time some one would at least say something.
    So every time I spot openings I submit my resume Air Force, Navy, Army. I have had just about everyone under the sun look at my resume just incase and nothing is wrong with it. I have been a firefighter for three years, so itís not like im new at this. Donít get me wrong I know three years is not that long, but still. Only thing I can guess is that im in the Army Reserves, and the fact that im stuck in Texas; so that limits my search.
    Is there something extra I need to do? Any advice besides quit crying?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default your dod info

i have work on DOD base 2 times and the most inportant thing is your record no fellnies or missderminers and no Drunk driving charge if you have any of these good luck to you getting on a base... you need to be able to get a secrit clearnce if they think you cant get one your out of luck...
    i will be done with fire fighter training and i will go back to a DOD base as a fire fighter... after i am hired i will be glad to help you ffpawela@yahoo.com good luck to you...
    if you like risk and wont good money try KBR.com it is over seas in the hot zone...

Forum Member

Shortimer,

Do you have all of the required certifications? If so, let me know and I will also look at your resume for glaring problems. I'm an A/C on a DOD installation so maybe I can see something as to why you're not even getting a call or anything. Are you tracking your status for each position you apply for? This too can also point out why you were not referred or if referred why you didn't get selected, ... Also, look through the threads, there is a lady who works for HRO (Navy) who has volunteered to help folks make sure their resumes are good in the Navy system. Good luck

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by chrispawela
    i have work on DOD base 2 times and the most inportant thing is your record no fellnies or missderminers and no Drunk driving charge if you have any of these good luck to you getting on a base... you need to be able to get a secrit clearnce if they think you cant get one your out of luck...
    i will be done with fire fighter training and i will go back to a DOD base as a fire fighter... after i am hired i will be glad to help you ffpawela@yahoo.com good luck to you...
    if you like risk and wont good money try KBR.com it is over seas in the hot zone...
    C'mon is this post for real?

Permanently Removed

I was a former GS-081 FF. It shouldnt be that hard to get a job. Are you meeting the basic entry requirements?

Keep in mind, just having volunteer experience is not the key anymore. They are looking for certain boxes to check. Keep sending off the Govt. applications and keeping a master.

Here is a good website to track federal jobs- www.fedworld.gov

Forum Member

Kind of kicking my self now for loosing this thread.

I have all my FFI/II, ARFF, and Haz Mat Ops/Awareness from Goodfellow. Have my Officer I, Instructor I, Inspector I, Haz Mat IC, Confined Space Rescue from Pro Board. Have my EMT-B from National Registry. Then I have my state certs FFI/II, ARFF and EMT from Texas.

Right now im a firefighter/EMT for a DoD contract here in Beeville, Texas. Also im the team chief of the 337th Firefighter det. out of Houston ;so I do have a small clue what im doing.

Still not a single e-mail, phone call or any thing; I know I meet the basic entry requirement never had a DUI/DWI/PI, only thing I would have on record is a speeding ticket from 13 years ago. I have a secret clearance right now. So im really at a loss.

Permanently Removed

My suggestions-

1. When you fill out the standard federal application, (612, I think) make it look super awesome and neat. Fill it out completely and will ALL of your info.
    Why? Because you can use the same application to mulitiple federal work sites. Just make a copy, fill in the announcement # and sign.

2. Go the shot gun effect. Mail out those multiple, completed applications to the DoD offices. While youre waiting, continue your education and OJT.

Why they are not getting back to you, I have no idea. I would call each office after a cetain amount of time passes.

Hope this helps out.

Forum Member

Default USAJOBS.com

You likely have already tired USAJOBS.com but just thought it wouldn't hurt to post it on here. There are quite a few postings that are closing within a few days.

Are you not getting any emails either? Try calling the Point of Contact listed on the "How to Apply" tab.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CALFFBOU View Post
    My suggestions-

1. When you fill out the standard federal application, (612, I think) make it look super awesome and neat. Fill it out completely and will ALL of your info.
    Why? Because you can use the same application to mulitiple federal work sites. Just make a copy, fill in the announcement # and sign.

2. Go the shot gun effect. Mail out those multiple, completed applications to the DoD offices. While youre waiting, continue your education and OJT.

Why they are not getting back to you, I have no idea. I would call each office after a cetain amount of time passes.

Hope this helps out.

Any thing helps right now.lol

Quote Originally Posted by BarMan View Post
    You likely have already tired USAJOBS.com but just thought it wouldn't hurt to post it on here. There are quite a few postings that are closing within a few days.
    Been all over that one at least once a day, along with the Army,Navy and AF sites.

To my understanding and tell me if im wrong here. But with the Navy is there some sort of list your name has to get on? Thatís what im being told, something about you have to have so many points before your name get put on the list, and that is controlled by someone in HR. I really did not understand who that worked out.
    Any ways in the morn im just going to start calling the Navy bases around my area and introducing myself. This doing stuff online has not been working at all and its time to start knocking on door and shaking some hands.

Forum Member

And yes, as posted above, make sure you include EVERYTHING they ask for (sometimes you have to search for the "checklist" of materials a little).

Fill all your forms out using Adobe after you download them from the OPM website or use a typewriter. Make sure all that stuff is readable (someone from another agency's personnel department said all the forms get scanned into a database, and messy handwriting can screw people over).

Permanently Removed

The "USAjobs" website is good. But, I would really look into the FedWorld site too. That is like the federal jobs mothership. I just checked, there are over 150 Fed fire jobs there. If you havent applied to all of them, then I cant really feel your pain. (sorry)

Here is your link again- www.fedworld.gov
    Last edited by CALFFBOU; 01-03-2007 at 12:21 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CALFFBOU View Post
    The "USAjobs" website is good. But, I would really look into the FedWorld site too. That is like the federal jobs mothership. I just checked, there are over 150 Fed fire jobs there. If you havent applied to all of them, then I cant really feel your pain. (sorry)

Here is your link again- www.fedworld.gov

Didnt even know about this place till today. But as I look its all the same job announcements ive already tried. Except for some of the hot shot crews, I dont qualify for all of them.

Just looks like a crap shoot to me, roll the dice and hope your name comes up on the list.

Thread Information