Thread: Questions...

Forum Member

Default Questions...

First off let me introduce myself, SSgt, been in 5 and a half years, currently I am a 2W071 Munitions Craftsman. I have been stationed at Elmendorf AFB (4 Years) and Nellis AFB, NV currently (1 Year). I have wanted to be a Firefighter since I was a child and it wasn’t offered when I enlisted. Well to make a long story short when I PCS’ed to Nellis, my tech school roommate and close friend mentioned he was retraining in to Firefighter, immediately I was interested. We both submitted retraining packages a month apart and both we accepted. My class date is 13 November, my friend leaves a month before I do. I am very eager to get to Goodfellow and start with my training, I have already been reading the latest edition of Essential of Firefighting. The idea of being able to help people on a personal level appeals to me, not to mention the rush of fighting a fire.

So here are my questions, there are a lot.
    About how long before my class date should I hear something from Goodfellow?
    What can I expect upon arriving a Goodfellow?
    How does the training rate next to what a civilian would receive?
    What is the basic brake down of the blocks?
    What position on a crew can I expect to fill when I arrive on station?
    Will I be able to respond to calls as a 3-Level when I arrive on station?
    Will I have troops as a 3-level?
    When can I begin EMT-B training?
    Approximately how long do CDC’s take? I know it depends on the troop, but I plan on a volume per week.
    How difficult is promotion when testing PFE only?
    What CONUS base would I see the most calls?

I have many more but I figure this is a good start. Thanks in advance.

Forum Member

Talking

I would put this in the same pespective as when you started out as a 3-level ammo troop. Once you are done with tech school you start UGT and so on. If you have fire department related questions I would go the the base FD there at Nellis and introduce yourself and ask away with the questions. I suggest you write them out so you don't get too off task. Since I am not a AD firefighter I can't answer all your questions. I work in Life Support and am a Volunteer FF/EMT in the town I live in. Tinkers firefighters are civilian and most are first responders.

PFE only is a great chance to get promoted, tech school or UGT in the fire dept might be going on as well, use your time wisely!!!

I would encourage you to take any class or cert they will let you, the wave of the future at least stateside is to civilianize quite a few of the jobs available and if and when you decide to get out it makes it easier to get a civilian position if you desire.

I am jealous of your position, I had the chance to do what you are doing with the cross training and I chickened out. So 18 years later I am just starting what you are, only in the civilian world.

I heard a quote this morning about making sure before you start climbing the ladder make sure it is up against the right wall. It sounds like you have found the right wall for you.

I want my ladder to be attached to a fire truck too!!

Best of luck and I hope this helped.
    Last edited by Stewart46; 09-12-2006 at 07:11 PM.

cgerdes97
    Firehouse.com Guest

I'll do my best to help ya out...

About how long before my class date should I hear something from Goodfellow? As soon as they get you in a class. I had to wait 2 weeks. It depends on student volume at the time.

What can I expect upon arriving a Goodfellow? A really small base. I noticed in another thread the guys were talking about the surrounding area.

How does the training rate next to what a civilian would receive? Second to none. The curriculum is based off of IFSTA, which is used by MANY other departments worldwide.

What is the basic brake down of the blocks? I haven't been there in 3 years but if it's close to what it used to be... Block 1 & 2: First Responder & Basic Fire Science; Block 3: FFI (raising ladders, learning SCBA and PPE, etc..), Block 4: FFII (Live fire training and structural tactics); Block 5: Hazmat Awareness and Operations; and Block 6 is ARFF tactics and live fire training. I don't know if they still have the PRIME BEEF block (contingency), but if they do, it's only like a week or so.

What position on a crew can I expect to fill when I arrive on station? As a 3-Level, a backseater on a pumper or ARFF truck.

Will I be able to respond to calls as a 3-Level when I arrive on station? Yes. Everything you learn in Tech School gives you the basic knowledge and certification to response to an emergency on your first day of work.

Will I have troops as a 3-level? Most likely not a first. You will have to be 5-level.

When can I begin EMT-B training? Whenever your department decides to put you in a class... or if they have the CD-ROM, you can do that. It's a Computer Based Course, and it gives you DoD EMT-B certification. I believe AFCESA is still working the details for National Registry repricocy with the DoD software, but it hasn't been finalized.

Approximately how long do CDC’s take? I know it depends on the troop, but I plan on a volume per week. Good luck with 1 per week. For 3-level, the requirement is Driver/Operator ARFF, Driver/Operator Mobile Water Supply, and Driver/Operator Pumper. If your base has an Aerial Apparatus, then you will do Driver/Operator Aerial (although it is not required for 5 level upgrade). AFCESA requirement for 1 CDC is 12 months, but a "hardcharger" - if I may - could get it done in 3 months. It is alot more than just studying a book and taking a test. You need to train on the vehicle for the specific CDC, then recieve a Gov't license on it, take your certests, schedule your EOC, and complete your practical tests.

How difficult is promotion when testing PFE only? Study SKT also. You will need to do alot of studying because SKT contains material from your 5-level CDCs, 7-Level CDCs, and a believe HazMat Technician.

What CONUS base would I see the most calls? Couldn't tell you. Maybe Eglin AFB in Florida.

MembersZone Subscriber

in answer to the prime beef training thats a no. when i was there they were talking about adding that and some more in but it hasnt havent happend yet. youll have to do that when you get to your base
    " IF GUNS KILL PEOPLE THEN I CAN BLAME MY MISSPELLINGS ON MY PENCIL" -Larry The Cable Guy-

Fir Na Tine

If you want a somewhat busy base, Shaw's not too bad. There's not a whole lot that happens on base, firewise, but Shaw runs alot of mutual aid with the Sumter Fire Department. Everything from MVAs to working house fires. If I was a AF Firefighter, I wouldn't mind being here as such (I'm a comm weenie).
    Tom Warshaw
    Station 13 (Bethel)
    Sumter Fire Department

"Scientists believe that the world is composed mainly of hydrogen because in their opinion, it is the most abundant element. I however, feel the earth is composed mainly of stupidity, because it is more abundant than hydrogen." - Frank Zappa

September 11, 2001. We Must Never Forget.

In memory of Thomas Sabella, L-13, FDNY

All opinions stated are my own and do not reflect the opinions of my department or any organization I may belong to.

Forum Member

USAFSSGT, You're pretty lucky. I tried to crosstrain 14 years ago as an E-4 and I couldn't do it. I was stationed at Goodfellow when the school moved and the commander of the school came from our squadron right there on base and he couldn't pull any strings to get me in.
    As far as the area, last time I was there was 2 years ago and it was still a very friendly town towards the military people.
    Best of luck.

Forum Member

Default Aye

Everything Gerdes told you was correct.
    I'm going back to Goodfellow in May for Inspector 1 class. This time however..i'm 21..

cgerdes97
    Firehouse.com Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeEater316
    Everything Gerdes told you was correct.
    I'm going back to Goodfellow in May for Inspector 1 class. This time however..i'm 21..
    ...tuche, good man, tuche.

Thread Information