Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A career Choice

Forum Member

Question A career Choice

Ok firefighting, it teaches leadership,courage,determinati on it seperates the men from the boys. As a volunteer now Ive come to think that I might want to do this for the rest of my life, its something new everyday its amazing its something I enjoy. Now those of you who are fully employed would you recommend choosing this as a carrer choice? I live near NYC and my dream since I was very young was to become part of the FDNY Id just like some input on what its like? Thank to all that post!

Quote Originally Posted by CDFDEngine7
    Ok firefighting, it teaches leadership,courage,determinati on it seperates the men from the boys. As a volunteer now Ive come to think that I might want to do this for the rest of my life, its something new everyday its amazing its something I enjoy. Now those of you who are fully employed would you recommend choosing this as a carrer choice? I live near NYC and my dream since I was very young was to become part of the FDNY Id just like some input on what its like? Thank to all that post!
    Sounds like you have answered you own question!

I would say to take your time with the decision and do what will make you happy, the rest will work itself out.

I feel there is no better profession on earth than the fire service, the ability to help someone in their time of need, the brotherhood of firehouse life and eternal friendships and memories you will have.

Murphy's Law and human nature will always provide for our needed response.
    TecRsq
    North Georgia

- Let No Mans Ghost Come Back To Say My Fire Training Let Me Down -

Default Firefighting as a career choice...

You won't get filthy stinking rich on the monetary end... but the wealth of camadarerie and brotherhood is immeasurable!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm getting ready to start my 3rd year on a volunteer department. Out of everything I've done so far in my life (granted, my life hasn't been that long compared to everyone else here), it's been the most rewarding. Good luck getting into it.

Forum Member
    Whangaparaoa Peninsular North Island New Zealand

Thumbs up Truest words

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo
    You won't get filthy stinking rich on the monetary end... but the wealth of camadarerie and brotherhood is immeasurable!
    It does not matter where you go on this planet-Moscow-Hong Kong-Sydney-New York-London Madrid, you name it, and if there is a Fire Station nearby--just mention that you are in the job(or in my case retired from the job). You are welcomed even if you have to converse with a phrase book and a pencil and paper!

Thread Information