Thread: hi everyone

MembersZone Subscriber

Default hi everyone

Hi guys. I have a question for everyone. I have wanted to be a fire fighter for many years now but always thought I was getting too old to start. I've just turned 28 in May. I'm also not sure if i'm too short as i'm 5'7" tall.
    I've been working with computer programming for the past ten years and just feel it isn't for me anymore. I can't see myself being in an office my whole life.
    So my question is what is the best way to get started on becoming a fire fighter. Should i look into college classes or something. I have no clue were to start or what the path to take consists of.
    Looking on the internet I did find some college classes at a junior college near my house and it looks like i would need to take the classes and then join the academy.
    I hope this is the right area of the forum to post this question. I appreciate and thank you for all your help.

MembersZone Subscriber

sorry, i think i should have posted this in the Hiring and Employment Discussion. I cant figure out how to delete this post so please disregard and i will post it again there.
    Thank you

Forum Member

Well I'm simular story, little younger. Was going to school for Software Engineering. Decided that it wasn't the career for me (at the time I had been in the vol fire department for 2 years). I am currently working on getting my EMT, then Paramedic. So far I havent taken a test yet to get onto a company, taking one this winter but I dont have a residency in any cities with a paid department yet.

I wish I could help ya out, but I'm in the same boat as you....

And two things.... Classes you can take would be EMT and Paramedic, if you want to put that time in. They are useful. Also make sure you get into shape. You can find tips on firerecruit.com aswell for interview training and job postings.

And with your height, being shorter isn't bad for the fire service. If the crap hits the fan, being small helps you get out of tight spots, or if someone needs to rescue you, being small will help you. Now for rope rescue, you might have some trouble using your legs to keep the victim off the wall, but that doesn't matter too much.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the info. i will check out that website. I did see some classes for EMT at the junior college and it looks like its part of the requirements for the fire academy. I will look into starting out with those classes.
    This is what i'm referring to from the local junior college by my house. I used to go there quite a few years ago for general ed classes. But here is a link i found for their fire program. http://firetech.mtsac.edu/
    Just wondering if this is the right direction to be going.

Forum Member

If we knew what part of the counry your in, we may be able to offer more help. Each state is different requirements.

As for being short, shouldnt be an issue.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Forum Member

Just south of North and slightly east of West.

Smile

Nope...I started out just like you, but a few years older. I'm also short as well. I was in the IT world and just couldn't take it any more.

Go for it, get in shape and do your thing. I got hired on my first try with a very good department.

Early Adopter

Exclamation

Like Dave said, the requirements to be a firefighter can differ greatly from state to state. In Arkansas, we have an age restriction. In civil service departments, rookies with no experience must be younger than 32. I know we have one volunteer (32+) who moved to Virginia so that he could become a career firefighter.

Also, some regions emphasize education before applying for the job. Heck, there are departments that want you to be a paramedic first. In others, they'll take you off the street with the knowledge you possess right now and train you how they want.

MembersZone Subscriber

Go to your local Fire Department and ask them what the steps are to become a Firefighter.Talk with the Lt's and Capt's as well as the Firefighters. : ) Check out the local training facility or academy, this will give you in depth knowledge of the training and process in your area. Ask the local Dept or administration if they have a website. Good luck in your endeavors.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Dave1983
    If we knew what part of the counry your in, we may be able to offer more help. Each state is different requirements.

As for being short, shouldnt be an issue.

I live in Temple City which is one of the many cities in Los Angeles County. Its right next door to Pasadena.

Thank you everyone for your advise. It really gives me hope that i still have the opportunity to do this.
    I'm going to go over to the local fire stations (Temple City, Rosemead, Pasadena) and talk to them.

Forum Member

In Massachusetts the sure way to get hired, even without your EMT license is Vet's preference. The Army, Coast Guard and Navy all have two year active duty programs. Vet's preference is the way to go. The two years goes by fast and it's worth it for the best job in the world.

Permanently Removed

YaDude- I graduated from the Mt. Sac Fire academy in 1990. It was an awesome program back then. (Where did 16 years go?)

Anyways, youre in LA County and there are hundreds of candidates down there. Please check out the forums board at www.firecareers.com and start looking into the jobs section there.

Youre welcome to chat with me for some advice. Please PM me for a cell phone # exchange.

-Bou

Forum Member

should have been a new thread
    Last edited by DrParasite; 09-14-2006 at 02:39 AM.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrParasite
    Ok, before anyone asks, I'm referring for a fires in a highrise something like 20 stories in the air. where the fire is out of the reach of an aerial ladder.

I know FDNY (probably ones of the foremost experts in these types of fires) has 5 trucks responding to a highrise fire (instead of the usual 3), but if the fire (and the victums) are out of reach of the aerials, why not just call for additional engine companies?
    What does this have to do with being short?

Short version:
    Engines put out fires, Trucks search. Very simple reason.

Longer version: With any type of hi rise or project fire, smoke is going to fill every floor above the fire. With this comes calls for smoke from residents or occupants above the fire. Every floor, every stairwell, and every apt. from which a phone call was made must be searched/checked.
    Last edited by nyckftbl; 09-14-2006 at 02:37 AM.
    Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

Forum Member

sorry, that was supposed to be in a new thread. I will fix
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by YaDude
    Hi guys. I have a question for everyone. I have wanted to be a fire fighter for many years now but always thought I was getting too old to start. I've just turned 28 in May. I'm also not sure if i'm too short as i'm 5'7" tall.
    I've been working with computer programming for the past ten years and just feel it isn't for me anymore. I can't see myself being in an office my whole life.
    So my question is what is the best way to get started on becoming a fire fighter. Should i look into college classes or something. I have no clue were to start or what the path to take consists of.
    Looking on the internet I did find some college classes at a junior college near my house and it looks like i would need to take the classes and then join the academy.
    I hope this is the right area of the forum to post this question. I appreciate and thank you for all your help.

We have hired people in their 40's. 28 is not too late to get started.
    ps. I grew up in the Temple city area. My sister graduated from TCHS and I from Rosemead High. I worked for Arcadia fire before I was hgired here in Riverside.
    Good luck.
    Jeff.

MembersZone Subscriber

Bou, I don't think he can PM you?...... He is still a guest. Still trying to give your number out? Huh.

Yadude watch out for CAFFBOU he is not right in the head. As soon as I saw you were from Cali I thought....Oh no here comes trouble (refering to caffbou ; )

Bou, you know I am just picking on you the little brother, yes little, I do believe you are younger than me.

Keep us posted on how things are going Dude. (yadude)
    Last edited by firetruckred; 09-14-2006 at 08:13 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by firetruckred
    Bou, I don't think he can PM you?...... He is still a guest. Still trying to give your number out? Huh.

Yadude watch out for CAFFBOU he is not right in the head. As soon as I saw you were from Cali I thought....Oh no here comes trouble (refering to caffbou ; )

Bou, you know I am just picking on you the little brother, yes little, I do believe you are younger than me.

Keep us posted on how things are going Dude. (yadude)

hahaha. thanks firetruck. i'm going to go over to the local fire house this weekend and talk to some of the guys over there.
    my plan is to enroll in the Mt. Sac (junior college) program http://firetech.mtsac.edu/
    I will probably have to wait until next semester before starting this.

Does this sound like a good plan to start with?

Also, I was wondering what the entry level salary is for those working in the Los Angeles area.
    I have been reading through some past posts on this website and saw numbers like 30K a year. The reason i'm asking is because it isn't easy to live in LA on 30K per year.

MembersZone Subscriber

hahaha. thanks firetruck. i'm going to go over to the local fire house this weekend and talk to some of the guys over there.
    my plan is to enroll in the Mt. Sac (junior college) program http://firetech.mtsac.edu/
    I will probably have to wait until next semester before starting this.

Does this sound like a good plan to start with?

Also, I was wondering what the entry level salary is for those working in the Los Angeles area.
    I have been reading through some past posts on this website and saw numbers like 30K a year. The reason i'm asking is because it isn't easy to live in LA on 30K per year.

I think you are on the right track. There are far more experienced people than I that can help. I know where your coming from though. If you would like to email me fell free to at firetruck_red1005@yahoo.com. There is a whole world of info and advice on here. Hang out and get to know these guys and gals and you will be blessed.

As far as pay. You do it because it is in your heart and soul. That simple. (I think you may know this) Most firefighters have a second job depending on the schedule. If they work 24 hours on, 48 off they have time to landscape, work construction or a trade. Trust me if you love it, it won't matter. : )

Permanently Removed

Quote Originally Posted by RFD1067
    I worked for Arcadia fire before I was hgired here in Riverside.
    Good luck.
    Jeff.
    Hey Jeff- Were you one of "the three" from Arcadia back in 1998?

Permanently Removed

Dude- Ummm....Yeah. Listen to whatever Red says. She has no California experience, certifications or professional work experience here. (I dont even know if shes paid or volunteer.) You need to get your head straight and game on if you want to join the THOUSANDS of other candidates who want to be Firefighters in the Golden State. Listen to what she has to say, not me.

Anyways- No, Firefighers based in the LA area make more than 30k a year. Right now, they are making anywhere from 70-100k a year, without overtime.

As for the work schedule, no one in CA works that lame 24/48. Most FDs either work the 3/4 Kelly, 48x96 aka 2x4 or the 4/6.

Right now pay and work schedules are very far from what you should be thinking about. You got a long road and need to get some local advice. Visit the website I gave you, its So. Cal. based. Visit some stations and also get a 2-4 year plan together. Also look at www.eatstress.com for some insight.

I have mentored and assisted several people over the years in their fire service careers. Again, youre welcome to PM, email or phone me for some help. The other people in here are of great assistance too, but the California fire service is different from other states. My email is- boukca@yahoo.com

Good luck, Bou
    Last edited by CALFFBOU; 09-14-2006 at 11:26 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CALFFBOU
    Hey Jeff- Were you one of "the three" from Arcadia back in 1998?
    No, I left in 1989.
    The three ????

MembersZone Subscriber

thank you firetruckred and CALFFBOU and everyone else for your generous advice. i will keep your email address and most likely get in touch with you. plus i'm planning to keep reading and learning on this website.
    they are rebuilding the Arcadia fire station right now from the ground up. I'm going to make a trip over to the Temple City station and talk to the guys this weekend.

Forum Member

The majority of firefighters in this nation are volunteers - investigate that if you think you would like it- and depending on where you are. Many cities do have paid guys so that might be your lot if you want to get paid for this- thats great too.

You are definitely not too old - start the process and join us in the fire service ! It is difficult, time consuming and takes you away from your home often - but is extremely rewarding.

Permanently Removed

Quote Originally Posted by RFD1067
    No, I left in 1989.
    The three ????

RFD- I will have to PM you later about it. Is the "1067" for KROQ for your badge #?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CALFFBOU
    RFD- I will have to PM you later about it. Is the "1067" for KROQ for your badge #?
    Sounds good.
    We are IAFF local #1067.

Thread Information