Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Extrication airbags and plywood

I was visiting a firehouse up by my brother this weekend and I noticed that they had attached sheets of plywood to their Hurst high pressure airbags. First time I've ever saw that done.

Do any of your departments setup your airbags like this? If so, why?

Forum Member

Default Mega Movers do it

Saw an episode of TV show Mega Movers on History channel they used plywood sandwiched between the bags used to lift a barn. Never saw that before. Our ParaTech bags are designed to be stacked on top of each other.

Forum Member

It could be to keep sharp pointy edges away from the expensive bags.Or,maybe to spread the load out a little and make it easier on the bags not having such a concentrated weight on them when they are inflated.
    All tools will last longer if you take care to prevent damage in use or keep them in good operating condition.

Forum Member

Absolutly....How do you fill a gap if needed? What if the air bag is to be placed a sharp or hot surface?? My company has two air bags tied to a 1 1/2 " 12 x12 piece of wood (they dont have to be used togather).

A couple of rules for air bag placement....never more than 2 on top of each other (crib up) ; always try to place 2 bags under the load (on top of each other) in case the 2nd bag is needed (smaller one on top)...but keep in mind, you will only be able to lift the weight capable of the smaller bag; never place wood cribbing between two bags. Bags should only be inflated about half their height capacity to prevent "pillowing effect".

MembersZone Subscriber

We don't use plywood to protect our bags, but we do use conveyor belt for puncture protection.

MembersZone Subscriber

We're using the old air bags taken from service cut to be a little smaller than the current lift bag. I like Matty J's thing about tying them together. I'm guessing its just one corner with enough rope/webbing to reach full height?

Weve had plywood for our bags for years. 1" marine grade pressure treated. Spreads the load, protects the bags and adds a little stability. We started doing this after we sent a half dozen of our staff up to Hurst for a week long class and saw it used there.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

this may sound crazy but we use an old pair of rubber mud flaps for puncture protection on our hi pressure air bags. they are simple to move around and dont take up much space.

p.s. the flaps are from a semi.

Thread Information