Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Forum Member

Default Chicago getting bunker gear

Hi everyone,

They tell us we'll be in bunkers by X-mas. Turnout gear has always meant long coats and hip boots in Chicago. I think most guys prefer the long coats, even those of us who haver suffered burns to our legs.

Any comments on making the transition. Any preferences? Thanks
    www.kevinhelmold.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Sorry to hear that (for those who don't want the change). Will you guys have the option of wearing either bunkers pants or hip boots, like Boston?

This is gonna be fun to watch. T.C.

former FH.com member

Well, some of your people will like the bunkers, some won't. I hope you guys get some Morning Pride or other quality bunker gear out of this.

Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101
    Oh, did you hear that big crash too? It must have been ChicagoFF falling off his chair!
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101

Dang right!!!! Got the popcorn popin now.

Lot's of guys who don't want to change in that town. No offense by any means. I got a lot of crap from CFD guys for wearing bunkers where I used to work. The CFD guys did and still do lots of fire and they do a great job at it too so don't jump down my throat.

When I started, that's all we had was the 3/4 boots. They did ok but on your hands and knees the water would run in your boots and would collect debris and stuff. They were great for grass fires but that was about it. I think it's madness not wearing bunkers. It's the "100 years of tradition unimpeded by progress" type of thing. Only my opinion. I actually had a CFD Captain told me that he would rather loose a few layers of skin off of his ears and know when to get out then to wear a hood and get caught in a flashover. Guess it's all in the training you recieve and the philosphy you follow. Nothing is really wrong, nothing is really right, just varying degrees of safety and your view of what is safe or not. If you feel wearing 3/4 boots and no hoods is safe and the way you want to do it, great! More power to ya. Just not for me.

The moral of the story......it is all what you are used to working with. Wear what you like but be safe about it.

Ok, sitting back and watching..................
    Last edited by Dickey; 09-14-2006 at 06:07 PM.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

I will believe this when I see it. This should be an interesting thread. I even see this being hijacked into the whole bunkers VS hip boots debate, and from there the hood debate. enjoy.
    J

Recently relocated to Baltimore County, MD

Some advice that still holds true for a thread such as this.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Tom

Never Forget 9-11-2001

Stay safe out there!

IACOJ Member

Nice Smokey.........

Got my helmet on and my seat belt fastened.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

When I read the content of this thread, all I could think of was those stupid drills we did in elementary school
    Tom

Never Forget 9-11-2001

Stay safe out there!

IACOJ Member

Hmmm...

I wonder if they'll start issuing them salad bowls to wear too.

Kevin
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

This one may get interesting !
    ******=================
    ******================
    ******=================
    ******================
    =======================
    =======================
    =======================

------GOD BLESS AMERICA ! ------

Quote Originally Posted by NYSmokey
    When I read the content of this thread, all I could think of was those stupid drills we did in elementary school
    LOL!

No kidding! sit in the hallway put your head between your legs and kiss your ***** goodbye!!
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Quote Originally Posted by BFDNJFF

This one may get interesting !
    BFDNJFF,

The guy in your graphic definitely has a drinking problem....He's trying to drink his Jack Daniels through his forehead and the cap is still on!
    Tom

Never Forget 9-11-2001

Stay safe out there!

IACOJ Member

On the flatest land around! (In central Il.)

Quote Originally Posted by NYSmokey
    BFDNJFF,

The guy in your graphic definitely has a drinking problem....He's trying to drink his Jack Daniels through his forehead and the cap is still on!
    Nah, I think he is just kissing it for now.... He'll drink up in a bit! I'll keep my $0.02 in my pocket on this thread.... it's safer there!!

Forum Member

Well I can see all the members of more "progressive" departments are licking their chops at the prospect of CFD finally "getting with the times". I have yet to see anyone present numbers from our department that show why there is a need to switch our gear. Our boots and coats have proven themselves to be very good at protecting our members and we seem to have very little problem doing aggressive interior attacks and good truck work in this "old" gear. As a matter of fact, I'd be willing to bet that our burn injury rate is very low when compared to most other big departments. You can quote OSHA, NFPA, IFSTA, FBI and CIA all day long, but the bottom line is that there is no concrete, solid, good reason for us to be doing this other than "everyone else does". It was a challenge to find any firemen how even wanted this crap, and now even the ones who pushed for it to "stick it to the city" are beginning to get a bad feeling about it. It will be fun to watch our injury and lay up rates after this "miracle" gear is in the field.
    I am a complacent liability to the fire service

Forum Member

Personally I have no problem with long coats and 3/4 boots. I have several friends on the CFD and I know your current gear works just fine, actually from my past experiences with 3/4 boots I wish we could wear them. But on the other hand changes in the name of "safety" are inevitable (just wait until they want you to play in traffic to put out a stupid pink sign for car accidents, it's hitting the burbs now). Don't worry too much about the new gear, with your staffing (translation: enough people on scene to get the job done aggresively and safely, which is probably why your current gear isn't a problem) you guys will be fine. We've been doing the same job in the burbs with bunkers for years with no problems. The newest gear is actually pretty darn light and breathable, and if you can get some good leather boots you'll never want to go back to rubber again. And for the self proclaimed safety experts with more imaginary than real fire experience, (come on be honest with yourself), you don't work there, what they do doesn't affect you so don't worry about it. Stay safe.

MembersZone Subscriber

Nevermind. I will PM. Safer. : )
    Last edited by firetruckred; 09-16-2006 at 10:07 PM.

Forum Member

Chicago -

What happens to your old gear? Do you get to keep it? That would be nice to have for "old times" sake.
    Warm Regards,
    Shawn Stoner
    EMT-B

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoFF
    Well I can see all the members of more "progressive" departments are licking their chops at the prospect of CFD finally "getting with the times". I have yet to see anyone present numbers from our department that show why there is a need to switch our gear. Our boots and coats have proven themselves to be very good at protecting our members and we seem to have very little problem doing aggressive interior attacks and good truck work in this "old" gear. As a matter of fact, I'd be willing to bet that our burn injury rate is very low when compared to most other big departments. You can quote OSHA, NFPA, IFSTA, FBI and CIA all day long, but the bottom line is that there is no concrete, solid, good reason for us to be doing this other than "everyone else does". It was a challenge to find any firemen how even wanted this crap, and now even the ones who pushed for it to "stick it to the city" are beginning to get a bad feeling about it. It will be fun to watch our injury and lay up rates after this "miracle" gear is in the field.
    Sorry to hear that Chicago. You should contact the Brothers in Boston. They have a policy that allows the member to choose what gear they prefer. The ones I know love the policy.

FTM-PTB

Thread Information