Forum Member

Default out of town/county volunteer?

Does anyone know of a NJ department that accepts out of town/county volunteers? I live in Hudson county and there are no volunteer departments in the county. I also spend alot of time on weekends in Morris COunty, but since I don't actually live there, it seems to be a problem. I've contacted Chatham Township and Madison so far. Chatham Twp said it wouldn't workout. Madison did not respond.

MembersZone Subscriber

We have an "Open Enrollment" program for out of town firefighters who want to run with us. We're in South Jersey, so its too far away for you, but programs do exist.

Forum Member

The problem with out of county volunteers and out of town volunteers is in New Jersey, 99% of volunteer fire departments respond from home for calls. That means you need to be within a 10 minutes drive to the firehouse to make a truck.

if you don't live within the distance, you can attend the scheduled events (trainings, meetings, other stuff), but the department knows that you probably won't be able to make it to calls in a reasonable amount of time.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Forum Member

Default Biting off more than you can chew.

Quote Originally Posted by mjf474
    Does anyone know of a NJ department that accepts out of town/county volunteers? I live in Hudson county and there are no volunteer departments in the county. I also spend alot of time on weekends in Morris COunty, but since I don't actually live there, it seems to be a problem. I've contacted Chatham Township and Madison so far. Chatham Twp said it wouldn't workout. Madison did not respond.
    You must consider not only responding to alarms but also training drills. Most deptís hold these mandatory drills on week day evenings. You donít say if you have NJ Firefighter 1 certification. If not you will have to attend the County academy 2 nights a week for 3 months. You cannot miss any classes or you donít graduate. This is a huge commitment. Working you regular job, commuting to the academy & commuting to dept. drills/work details. Most Depts. are desperate for members however, it seems as if you are biting off more than you can chew.

Forum Member

Your not correct in saying their are no volunteer departments in hudson county. Seacacus is fully volunteer, has several houses, 3 or 4 i THINK, and is a pretty busy town. East Newark is also in hudson county i think and is also volunteer. Where in hudson county do you live? If you live in North Bergen near the bergen county border you can join Cliffside Park or Fairview, they are both fully volunteer and accept members who live within a resonable distance from the fire house and they catch a decent amount of work.

Forum Member

That is correct, both Secaucus & East Newark are in Hudson County, both departments are volunteer. I beleive you have to be a resident of that municipality to volunteer there...

MembersZone Subscriber

If you like Turnpike Communting... right down just off of Exit 5 is Westampton. Fairly busy Fire/Rescue/Hazmat/BLS company which accepts distance members. Station has good day room, bunk rooms, full gym... very aggressive and training oriented.
    FTM-PTB DTRT

Everything I state on here is to support and aid my fellow firefighters. Everything I post is my opinion only, and in no way should be taken as an official opinion of any Company, Department, or Municipality I represent... oh and this includes Pierce Mfg, as so their legal department has advised me; since they apparently also invented the right to control "Free Speech".

Thread Information