Thread: Academy

Forum Member

Default Academy

Hi everyone.My names Beau and I am 13.I have been wanting to fight fires since I was born,and can't wait till the day I can.I read Firehouse Magazine and Fire Engineering Magazine when it comes outevery month I have to say I am not in the best shape I could be,and was wondering if any of you FFs who have gone through the academy could give me some daily work outs to prepare for the academy 5-6(maybe 8,can't remember how old you have to be to apply) years away.Heh stupid I know,but I always like to be as ready in advanced as I can for things.So uh yea...if anyone could give me tips or something to prepare me for the academy,and a fire-fighting career I would truely appriciate it.When I get old enough to join an Explorer program I am going to see if my local FD offers it..to get me even more prepared.Anywho thanks Just PM me if you have anything or post below.

Thanks,
    Beau

Forum Member

Nah, kid, it's never stupid to take control of your health and fitness!

First off, don't lift weights, you're too young. No good for those growing bones and joints. Wait till you're about 14 or 15... Even then, be careful, make sure you have someone knowledgeable to help you along. I was lucky because when I started, I was on the JV football team, and my coaches and the older guys on the team showed me how it was done.

What you CAN do, though, is something called plyometrics. For instance, do 5 sets of 10 pushups, with 5 sets of 10 sit-ups in-between your sets of sit-ups. Kinda like this, to start off your workout...

10 pushups
    roll-over and do 10 sit-ups
    roll back over and do 10 pushups
    etc, etc. Do as much as you can.

There's alot more plyometric exercises, so once you get into it you can look into doing more and doing different ones. There's variations on your basic pushup and sit-up you can do... but for now keep it simple.

Push yourself, but remember, you're 13. When I was 11 I started exercising (midget football) I went a bit too hard and now at nearly 20 years old I have a really shaky left elbow.

After your pushups and sit-ups, it's time to get that nice burn in the legs and lungs. Know how to jump rope? And I dont mean double-dutch, I mean 2 minute rounds of small skips over the rope, with a 30 to 60 second break in-between. Do a few rounds like that, walk around between rounds and catch your breath. Challenge yourself here, push yourself and work up a good sweat! Otherwise your wasting your time.

I'm not a big jump-roper, so I usually run about 2 miles at a decent clip ater my lifts. One thing about running though, if you want to do that... If you have flat feet, run on a treadmill, track or grass, not on concrete. You'll get terrible shin splints if you run on sidewalks or roads. Also get a good pair of insoles to support your feet, whether your flat-footed or not. Your legs will thank you.

Don't feel bad if you can't do it at the level you want. A year ago I had to run a half mile (very slowly), walk till I caught my breath, and then finish the mile. And that was it! That's all I could do. I can do 2 miles easily now, some days I do 3 (all at once) and on other days I do 2 in the morning and 2 at night.

Watch what you eat and HYDRAAAATEEEE. Hardly anyone in America drinks enough water. At least 8 glasses (8 ounce) of water a day. I'm on a boxing-sort-of diet right now and I drink a gallon of water a day. Yes, you will pee a lot, but you'll feel better and get more out of your workout.

I wish I had your attitude when I was 13. I was 250 all through high school... yea I was a decent left tackle but I didn't exactly get all the ladies and when I graduated, I had all this useless fat and muscle. Defenitely a hindrance when I joined the fire service. I lost 42 pounds (as of this morning) over the last year, so I did it and you can too.

Forum Member

Thanks a ton man.Its a great help,next time I go to wal-mart I'll buy a jump rope and run both.How many times a day should I do the..plyo or poly things?See I weigh 185...normal for my class XD But I need to start losing weight for FFing and the Corp.I do lift weights..just for my arms though,and not very heavy at all.I have 15lbs wieghts I do...say 10-25 lifts 2-3 times a day,should I quit that for a year or so?Your message was a big help and I will start this weekend.I'll keep in touch

Forum Member

Wait, how tall are you cause I weigh about 180ish (depends on how hard the week's workouts were) and am about 5' 10" -11" and am in the best shape of my life, I wouldn't even consider losing any weight, hell I'd be afraid to start losing weight. I am a former football/basketball/baseball/soccer player and now play water polo and swim for my school's team. I dont know your circumstances, but personally, I wouldnt be concerned about losing weight, just building muscle.

Here is my workout schedule and yes our team's are crazy. 14 state water polo tites, 4 state swimming titles, and 41 consecutive district swimming championships (NATIONAL RECORD!!!) tend to make our coaches a little crazy.

A typical day in the life of Jake Hoffman (That's Me):

Wakeup- 0445
    Swimming/Water Polo Practice- 545-745
    School- 0825-1445
    Swimming/Water Polo Practice- 1500-1600
    Lifting Practice- 1600-1645

Average Daily Numbers
    - 250-300+ Situps
    - 150+ pushups
    - 6300 yards swimming (not counting back and forth in water polo)

*** And somehow I manage to get homework done and have a life, don't ask me how cause I couldn't tell ya.

So in short, what I am saying is to stick with it. Just remember that pain is weakness leaving the body, DONT KILL YOURSELF OVER IT THOUGH. You train the best when you are tired and sore and feel like you can't go on but you do and you finish the workout, workouts should be just as much mental as they are physical. Also, you may want to talk to your gym teacher or someone who knows you better than anyone on here.

If you have any questions or anything feel free to email me:

jhoffman358@yahoo.com
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

The biggest advice I can give you from my own personal experience is have a workout partner. Find someone who is motivated to work out and driven by their own personal goals; be it to become a firefighter or not. I've started here recently working out with a partner, and I've noticed the biggest difference not only in gains but how much I look forward to each workout.
    Just know, I chose my own fate. I drove by the fork in the road and went straight.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingKiwi View Post
    Go put your pussy 2 1/2" lines away kiddies.

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer343

By the way KEEPBACK200FEET, you're so dramatic!

Forum Member

Thanks guys,you've helped alot

Forum Member

Two things I can think of that no one else mentioned:

1. Get used to crawling.

2. Try this: Stand stright up with your arms spread wide horizontal of eachother, like you were about to do arm circles. Just hold them there as long as you can. It will really build your arm and shoulder muscles you will use when searching. Also, it helps with expanding your chest and lung capacity, which means you will breath easier and wont suck a SCBA bottle dry as quick. The Georgia Smoke Divers do it and they swear by it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Hello,
    I must say i was rather similar to you when I was 13, I'm 16 now. A couple of shockers you may/may not have practice in but you will have to get use to.

1. Get used to calling people (EVERYONE) with Sir/Mam.
    2. Get used to people yelling at you.
    3. GEt prepared for high-stress conflicts and situations
    4. Remember, you have a place as a junior, so don't try to (kind of hard to explain) .... I guess... step out. For Example, if the FFs are joking about something you know nothing about, don't laugh. Trust me.... it will save you push-ups and a bad reputation.
    5. I hope you know someone who works at an Ice Cream Factory, because this is one of the components of Fire Explorers. =)
    6.Never talk negatively about people while at the station;Gossip prevents you from getting a job
    7. Get ready for push-ups, running, push-ups, push-ups, and uh..... push-ups, pull -ups and somemore push-ups. =)
    8. You may be tempted to rip out an F-Bomb every once in a while, but just remember you represent your department. Some FFs use the F-word all the time, but you as an explorer should never use such language, or anything foul for that matter.
    - By the way, I am not saying this to scare you, but as a guide. Trust me, I have learned all of the above the hard way.

Chris

PS: Could any FIrefighter back me up on # 4? Just from my expierience that is a No-No.

Forum Member

I can. Not only is it annoying but it will make you look like a complete idiot.

MembersZone Subscriber

Don't forget to work on your flexibility as well. This is one of the most neglected components of fitness. The more flexible you and your joints are, the less likely it will be that you will sustain injury. You may also recover quicker. Flexibility is simply stretching while you are watching T.V. or between excercises while you are working out. Flexibility is increasingly important as you get older to help protect yourself from injury. It may not seem like an issue now at the age of 13, but you will be older one day!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFDExplorer
    PS: Could any FIrefighter back me up on # 4? Just from my expierience that is a No-No.

I'm an explorer but I can back you up on this. I am good friends with a few of the ff's on the dept and still try to not do this. I know from personal experience how annoying it can be when you are talking to one person, and a nother comes up and starts laughing when you do, without even knowing a damn thing about what you were talking about.
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFDExplorer
    4. Remember, you have a place as a junior, so don't try to (kind of hard to explain) .... I guess... step out. For Example, if the FFs are joking about something you know nothing about, don't laugh. Trust me.... it will save you push-ups and a bad reputation.

mmm i dont know about that dude.
    as a junior now, everytime they joke about something i dont know nothing about, i laugh all the time, and they really dont care.
    i mean this could be because i'm there all the time because of my dad and brother, and chilin with them outside the station.
    but all the other explorers do it as well, and still the FF's here dont give.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by summermist21FD
    as a junior now, everytime they joke about something i dont know nothing about, i laugh all the time, and they really dont care.
    i mean this could be because i'm there all the time because of my dad and brother, and chilin with them outside the station.
    Am I the only one who thinks you are an idiot?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245

that could be.
    but my department dosn't really give a crap. =/
    i come from a rural town, with a small population.
    so we all pretty much knew each other from the begining.

Forum Member

Am I the only one that thinks you are a pompus junior? I'm all for shooting down people who are blatently ignorant but that was uncalled for an made no sense.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by nmfire
    Am I the only one that thinks you are a pompus junior? I'm all for shooting down people who are blatently ignorant but that was uncalled for an made no sense.
    Am I the only one that thinks you are a pomp us junior? I'm all for shooting down people who are blatantly ignorant but that was uncalled for an made no sense. i think you mest up a little to there.
    lol i hope you know im just messin with you.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by summermist21FD
    That is the same way in asheville we all joke and mess with each other but thats the fire dept.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by afrexplorer1
    Am I the only one that thinks you are a pomp us junior? I'm all for shooting down people who are blatantly ignorant but that was uncalled for an made no sense. i think you mest up a little to there.
    lol i hope you know im just messin with you.
    uh? No, I don't know what your doing because you didn't format the reply in a way that makes sense.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by afrexplorer1
    That is the same way in asheville we all joke and mess with each other but thats the fire dept.

yeah.
    i guess every department is different in its own way
    you gotta have a sense of humor at some point and time.
    like afrexplorer1 said, its the fire department.

Forum Member

uh? No, I don't know what your doing because you didn't format the reply in a way that makes sense.
    My thoughts exactly nm..... I'm not gonna even bother replying to this thread, it served a good purpose and is now just pointless.

Forum Member

Well considering the fact that I am not pompous, nor a junior, I dont know what you are thinking,

I was giving the "non junior" veiw of the subject. Where I come from stuff like that is annoying. I come from a small town where we all know eachother too, but being immature doesnt fly.
    Last edited by GTRider245; 10-21-2006 at 05:35 PM.

MAS
    Forum Member

nmfire is just trying to start a fight with you, he is good at drama.

Forum Member

Hahahahah. Oh this is great. Since you can't defend yourself against the facts in other threads, you stooping so low as to join sides with a mega-ego Junior kid. LOL!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by MutualAidSupply
    nmfire is just trying to start a fight with you, he is good at drama.
    Why is that every so often we get a new member to the forums who thinks it's their duty to follow around a senior member and harass them? WHY?!?!?!?

Sure nmfire can be a jerk at times and sure he can be wrong on stuff. But have a civilized debate on it and I think you'll find that he's a lot more receptive than you think. Just calling him out on stuff outright doesn't do any good. Give it a rest dude. If you want to become a good, valuable member of this forum, give it a rest and start acting like a responsible adult.

Speaking of acting like a responsible adult, GTRider, you could do the same. Absolutely no need in what you did. Like nm said, lets stop the idiots now, but when someone has a valid question, no matter how naive, lets not bash 'em.
    Fir Na Tine
    Fir Na Au Saol

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by needlejockey
    Sure nmfire can be a jerk at times and sure he can be wrong on stuff. But have a civilized debate on it and I think you'll find that he's a lot more receptive than you think.
    Hehe. At least when I'm a jerk, it is usually towards someone who asked for it

As far as being wrong... NEVER!!!! j/k. At least when I'm wrong, I fess up, learn from it, and probably have a laugh at it. Some people just absolutely can't handle it no matter what.

Well considering the fact that I am not pompous, nor a junior, I dont know what you are thinking,

I was giving the "non junior" veiw of the subject. Where I come from stuff like that is annoying. I come from a small town where we all know eachother too, but being immature doesnt fly.
    And here is an example. I assumed you were a junior based on a number of factors. Most of your posts are in the Junior forum and you are only 18yrs old. I stand corrected.

However, your response still doesn't seem appropriate.
    Last edited by nmfire; 11-03-2006 at 11:37 AM.

Thread Information