Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Amber lights and POV's?

Let me start by saying that I have "NO" wish to have red or blue lights on my POV. I am interested in having amber lights as added saftey. Before I ask the question, let me explain:

I am a rookie and I'm already the training officer with my volunteer department outside of a rural town in arizona. I'm already the training officer because I passed my fire marshals test in June and that makes me more experienced then most in my department. It's already been proven to me that I'm most likely to be first on the scene with my POV (Collegues will show with department apparatus after I arrive with my POV). Because I'm most likely to be first on the scene with my POV I am intersted having amber lights as added safety. My intention is NOT to be driving down the road with amber lights flashing but rather have the amber lights flashing when I arrive on the scene (Again, for safety reasons.).

I've searched the internet and found a law (That generally refers to the use of additional lights) that states generally that a vehicle (Other then emergency vehicles) can have either amber or white in the front and either amber, white, or red in the rear window. But this does not specifically mention volunteer firefighters with POV.

My question:
    Does anyone know of a rule/regulation that specifically mentions volunteer firefighters, POV, and amber lights?

If no one knows of any rule/regulation, does anyone have any incidences whether they were harrassed by law enforcement?

I've had one call where I had to work with law enforcement and I had amber lights flashing in my rear window. Law enforcement saw the lights but made no issue out of them. But one of my collegues (Who has the same experience as me....not much) mentioned that volunteer firefighters can have "No" lights (Of any kind) on their POV. As a safety issue I would like to have the amber lights but I do not wish to violate any of the rules/regulations.
    Last edited by XRaysJL; 09-16-2006 at 09:31 PM.

Personally, if you really want my opinion....Save your money and respond from the station on an apparatus. Leave the POV at the station. It is a liability to your station and collegues.

Forum Member

Although this is a great place for information, I don't think I would risk the hassles you may encounter based on internet advice from folks who may or may not be familiar with AZ state laws regarding your situation. I would probably make a stop in to the local DMV if it were me and get it from the horses mouth. Just my thought. Good luck and be careful.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by XRaysJL
    Let me start by saying that I have "NO" wish to have red or blue lights on my POV. I am interested in having amber lights as added saftey. Before I ask the question, let me explain:

I am a rookie and I'm already the training officer with my volunteer department outside of a rural town in arizona. I'm already the training officer because I passed my fire marshals test in June and that makes me more experienced then most in my department. It's already been proven to me that I'm most likely to be first on the scene with my POV (Collegues will show with department apparatus after I arrive with my POV). Because I'm most likely to be first on the scene with my POV I am intersted having amber lights as added safety. My intention is NOT to be driving down the road with amber lights flashing but rather have the amber lights flashing when I arrive on the scene (Again, for safety reasons.).

I've searched the internet and found a law (That generally refers to the use of additional lights) that states generally that a vehicle (Other then emergency vehicles) can have either amber or white in the front and either amber, white, or red in the rear window. But this does not specifically mention volunteer firefighters with POV.

My question:
    Does anyone know of a rule/regulation that specifically mentions volunteer firefighters, POV, and amber lights?

If no one knows of any rule/regulation, does anyone have any incidences whether they were harrassed by law enforcement?

I've had one call where I had to work with law enforcement and I had amber lights flashing in my rear window. Law enforcement saw the lights but made no issue out of them. But one of my collegues (Who has the same experience as me....not much) mentioned that volunteer firefighters can have "No" lights (Of any kind) on their POV. As a safety issue I would like to have the amber lights but I do not wish to violate any of the rules/regulations.
    Up here any joker can run amber........Why do you want to look like a tow truck?? Can't your chief authorize the standard red or blues?

Exclamation

Screw the discussion on lights.. this bothers me a lot more than the color of a light!

‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo
    Screw the discussion on lights.. this bothers me a lot more than the color of a light!
    Yea, that gave me a chill, too...

Default Who's the chill regarding?

I haven't checked this posting in a week and a half until today. I'm curious, did someone post something which is drawing the comments then retracted them after the comments were made?
    Or are the comments about the color of the lights about me?

If they are about me I'll clarify the situation. If not, then I can breathe easier.
    Last edited by XRaysJL; 10-25-2006 at 05:33 PM. Reason: Misspelling the word "Breathe"

Why Would you Not want Red Lights on your POV??? I have amber On My truck right Now but thats Because I Plow snow. no one will Pull over for you if you have just amber Lights or 4 ways on.

Quote Originally Posted by Runn11
    Why Would you Not want Red Lights on your POV??? I have amber On My truck right Now but thats Because I Plow snow. no one will Pull over for you if you have just amber Lights or 4 ways on.
    Did you even read this thread at all??? He said he wanted it for when he ARRIVES ON SCENE...Not to respond with.. Try reading the entire thread next time

And Gonzo that is quite shocking to read

Default Lights

It really depends on the laws in your state, each state is different. For an example, South Carolina, You can run red lights, but if you run the lights the law states you also must run a siren, this is on your POV. North Carolina, you can run red lights, strobes in the head lights, and tail lights, only the Chief, or Asst Chief can have a siren, but an ocean water rescue divers that responds on the beach in a POV can run a siren when responding to the call. And some states, red lights are law enforcement and fire is blue.

god

(uh oh...) 2+ year old thread has been revived...
    Last edited by mikie333; 02-14-2008 at 04:32 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by william28112 View Post
    It really depends on the laws in your state, each state is different. For an example, South Carolina, You can run red lights, but if you run the lights the law states you also must run a siren, this is on your POV. North Carolina, you can run red lights, strobes in the head lights, and tail lights, only the Chief, or Asst Chief can have a siren, but an ocean water rescue divers that responds on the beach in a POV can run a siren when responding to the call. And some states, red lights are law enforcement and fire is blue.
    Wow, that is really enlightening, glad you shared.

In before the lock
    Buck
    Assistant Chief/EMT-B

Talking

This must be national save a thread month or something.
    Hello. Fire dept.. You light'em, We fight'em!

"hard working, gear jamming, nail driving, "jake". "

IACOJ
    4-16-2010 "On the approach"

MembersZone Subscriber

There should be a way to automatically lock a thread after say, a year. Keep the jokers from dredging back to page 1 and quoting something to say "Yeah."

Quote Originally Posted by firemonkey311 View Post
    This must be national save a thread month or something.
    Ya no kidding.

WTF!
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Firefighter for Vestal 32-2

American Red Cross Volunteer

Forum Member

dude if your state allows you to run red then use it. Amber does not mean ****, you might as well save your money and use your hazards. People don't slow down at yellow lights at intersections or workers on the side of the road. You will not be any different.

Thread Information