Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Forum Member

Default Removing electrical meters

I would like some disscussion on if it is in any departments SOP's to "pull a power meter"..... and not let your power company disconnect the power.

Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

http://forums.firehouse.com/showthre...pulling+meters

http://forums.firehouse.com/showthre...ctrical+meters

While you're waiting for replies, if you do a search on "pulling meters" and "electrical meters", there are quite a few past discussions you might find interesting.
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Exclamation

Leave the meter alone. It does not kill the power, it only measures it, much like a speedometer in a car.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

CaptainGonzo is correct. (anyone surprised? )Especially if you are dealing with a newer developed area, or an area that has had it's electrical services upgraded.
    Back in the day, meters where place in series with the service. All power passes though the meter and continued. With this type of meter and socket, it was possible to remove the meter and kill power down stream. Even then it was very hazardous. If you where drawing current at the time you tried to yank the meter, the possibility of arcing from the lugs to the socket to a ground was a real possibility. This, to put it mildly, is bad.
    New meters are place in parallel to the service, and with the electronics installed, there is no need to shunt all the current through. One of the ways to ID this type is if it has a handle that releases the meter from the socket. But if you look close, you will see it doesn't interupt power.
    Unless you are a trained electrician with line experiance, all the proper equipment, a department SOP saying it's OK, permission from the power provider, and a really good reason, leave them alone and call your power company.
    Last edited by SPFDRum; 09-17-2006 at 10:16 PM.
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

Recently relocated to Baltimore County, MD

Default Electricity is not our friend

Last edited by NYSmokey; 09-18-2006 at 07:23 AM.
    Tom

Never Forget 9-11-2001

Stay safe out there!

IACOJ Member

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NYSmokey
    Disclaimer: To PETA, I did not cause this bird to fly there and I didn't film it so don't come after me. RIP crow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeZ2QdZG1bI
    !!!!!

Should I be laughing hysterically?

LOL!!!

Disclaimer: To PETA, I did not cause this bird to fly there and I didn't film it so don't come after me. RIP crow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeZ2QdZG1bI
    Never apologize to PETA. As a terrorist organization who has sponsored the outright burning of buildings used for animal testing, as well as donations to the legal defense of suspects in these cases of arson - and you (presumably) as a firefighter - F&CK PETA.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Quote Originally Posted by DaSharkie
    Never apologize to PETA. As a terrorist organization who has sponsored the outright burning of buildings used for animal testing, as well as donations to the legal defense of suspects in these cases of arson - and you (presumably) as a firefighter - F&CK PETA.
    I agree F**K them along with Earth Liberation Front, etc. I should have turned my sarcasm mode on in that quote
    Tom

Never Forget 9-11-2001

Stay safe out there!

IACOJ Member

Oh my God I think I just wet myself........film at eleven........
    Never trust a smiling dog.
    The uniform you're given is free, but it comes with a history. Do the right thing when you're in it.
    PTB, EGH, FTM.

Talking

There is a place for all GOD's animals...... right next to the mashed potatoes and corn bread
    Turtle Power

[||]|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|==|
    _/-|]~|__|==|==|_{}|
    _|_! =_ ! ____---_++!|
    [|--(O)----==----(O)----]

Quote Originally Posted by Tillerman17
    Oh my God I think I just wet myself........film at eleven........
    LMAO!!!!
    Tom

Never Forget 9-11-2001

Stay safe out there!

IACOJ Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo
    Leave the meter alone. It does not kill the power, it only measures it, much like a speedometer in a car.

DITTO!!!!

Call the power company ASAP. Our dispatch calls the power company as soon as it is confirmed a working fire. Too many people get hurt or killed doing that and it doesn't even disconnect the power.

They are experts. Let them do it. You wouldn't expect the power company to put out fire would you???
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

Like Gonzo said LEAVE IT ALONE. Neither I or my crew mess with meters. I always tell them I don't do electricity
    K-9 hunt, the ultimate challange.
    EVERYONE GOES HOME
    IACOJ

I'll never understand why service disconnect switches never became standard/required. It would make it so much easier and safer for us to kill power inside until the power company can kill the main feed.

MembersZone Subscriber

On my second shift one of the guys on my shift ripped out the power meter. I being the son of an electrician asked him if he knew what he was doing and a year later he still treats me like I am the IDIOT!!

Forum Member

Thanks for (somehow) reminding me about this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVcOP0WY3rg
    Do it because you love it, not because you love being seen doing it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by FTMPTB15
    Thanks for (somehow) reminding me about this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVcOP0WY3rg
    Gezus, that brought tears to my eyes. I knew it was going to be hilarious cause look who posted it.

Default We still do it.

Here, residential occupancies are wired so that pulling the meter WILL disconnect power to the building. Hence they are still pulled, as directed in our SOP's.

Commercial buildings are differen't. They are wired as most of you describe, as a measuring device only.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Forum Member

Most resedential meters will kill the power. However when the power company does it they put it inside a sort of blast enclosure and wear face protection because they can really blow out. If you are pulling meters without the proper protection then you are really rolling the dice.

As far as that movie, that is one of my favorite tricks to pull on people. I do a bit of work inside live panels and when I am really sweating and pulling or pushing on something hard and someone is watching me I love to do that.

Birken

Forum Member
    Last edited by FF0525; 01-30-2008 at 12:10 PM.

Thread Information