Thread: Garage Fires

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Garage Fires

Was looking for some information from those more experienced in cause and origin work. Had a garage / house fire early this a.m., I can determine the area of origin to be the garage and relatively proximal to the drivers side / garage area of a 1998 Buick Le Sabre (car and garage are destroyed) There is no combustible material left on or in the vehicle and the garage roof collapsed crushing the cars roof and leaving me no remarkable burn lines that I can see.

My questions, I am familiar with the history of the LeSabre models and there propensity to catch fire, but thats normally on startup from what I understand.. the car was last used at 4:30pm and the fire occured 8 hours later. Any one have any experience with cars igniting that long after use? (no history of backfires, owner is not a smoker)

also, with that much damage to the vehicle and surrounding area, anyone know of any way to determine whether the fire originated inside the vehicle or another area and just involved the car?

any comments and suggestions appreciated. Thanks in advance
    Last edited by Fawlty; 09-18-2006 at 08:15 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Fawlty
    Was looking for some information from those more experienced in cause and origin work. Had a garage / house fire early this a.m., I can determine the area of origin to be the garage and relatively proximal to the drivers side / garage area of a 1998 Buick Le Sabre (car and garage are destroyed) There is no combustible material left on or in the vehicle and the garage roof collapsed crushing the cars roof and leaving me no remarkable burn lines that I can see.

My questions, I am familiar with the history of the LeSabre models and there propensity to catch fire, but thats normally on startup from what I understand.. the car was last used at 4:30pm and the fire occured 8 hours later. Any one have any experience with cars igniting that long after use? (no history of backfires, owner is not a smoker)

also, with that much damage to the vehicle and surrounding area, anyone know of any way to determine whether the fire originated inside the vehicle or another area and just involved the car?

any comments and suggestions appreciated. Thanks in advance
    you may want to examine how the stud walls for the garage fell. if they fell out, this would mean that the roof failed before the walls. In a fire I investigated, the garage door opener actually failed and caused the fire which caused the roof to fail, but with fall down it appeared at first glance that it may have come from the ground. 8hrs is a pretty good stretch to rule out the vehicle, unless he had some work done on the car recently, where there could have been some sort of reaction, but even then it is uaually with in 3-4hrs at the most.
    Last edited by tblaes1; 09-23-2006 at 10:41 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

to get in the car to look at the burn lines use airbags, i saw it once on csi so you now it must work:-)
    J

Forum Member

Default I'm not trying to be picky but...

I believe the best way to get to the answer for "how did it start?" is to determine the origin then the cause.
    By ruling out or "excluding" possible fire causes you can come to a quicker answer and more defendible (in court) fire report/investigation.
    Just a thought....

Thread Information