Forum Member

Question What do you wear under your bunker pants?

This might seem like a dumb question to some but i'm a probie out in Nevada who was a Reserve FF in California. MOST where I came from would just wear shorts or boxers under your bunker pants. The new department i'm at all wear full pants underneath there bunker gear. I now wear full pants under my bunker pants as well and am adjusting to the change. But they all thought it was "weird" or "funny" that I just wore shorts or boxers underneath my bunker pants.

What do you guys think and how do the majority of your firefighters dress down?

Forum Member

whenever possible i wear long pants.

had bad experiences wearing shorts under bunkers.

MembersZone Subscriber

This is a very personal question.....

I tend to put on my bunker pants on over the pair of pants I am already wearing for the day.
    You need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the duct tape.

Fir Na Tine

Commando style baby!!!

j/k...that certainly wouldn't be very comfortable. Usually a pair of jeans or dickies for me.
    Tom Warshaw
    Station 13 (Bethel)
    Sumter Fire Department

"Scientists believe that the world is composed mainly of hydrogen because in their opinion, it is the most abundant element. I however, feel the earth is composed mainly of stupidity, because it is more abundant than hydrogen." - Frank Zappa

September 11, 2001. We Must Never Forget.

In memory of Thomas Sabella, L-13, FDNY

All opinions stated are my own and do not reflect the opinions of my department or any organization I may belong to.

Forum Member

Nothing!! - Sorry, couldn't resist.

Whatever I have on at the moment the call comes in, jeans, shorts, dress pants, etc.

I think it is more important in the summer if you wear sandals, to have socks by your boots. Went sockless one time, really ripped up the feet.

Forum Member

as Bill Murray said " I prefer a low rise bikini, preferrable mesh"...

Actually other than the three months of warm weather we get a year it's usually jeans. Shorts if I have them on but the majority of the time even in the summer it's jeans.

Larry
    darn proud of my pasty white legs

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

How about "Legs"? But seriously, either uniform pants (here in FX Co) or would have been jeans back in the Old Country. I always had a long pair of pants or sweat pants in my locker back home because I never really liked crawling around while wearing shorts in summer. Too hard on the knees that are already "shot".
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

Done the boxers thing before... Made the mistake of doing it in winter too.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleMan
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BKDRAFT
    This might seem like a dumb question to some but i'm a probie out in Nevada who was a Reserve FF in California. MOST where I came from would just wear shorts or boxers under your bunker pants. The new department i'm at all wear full pants underneath there bunker gear. I now wear full pants under my bunker pants as well and am adjusting to the change. But they all thought it was "weird" or "funny" that I just wore shorts or boxers underneath my bunker pants.

What do you guys think and how do the majority of your firefighters dress down?
    OK, so now I'm curious.

Nothing too graphic please, I'm going to assume you guys didn't walk around the station in your boxers, at least i would hope not. So when you get a call you all rip your pants off before gearing up?
    That must be kinda funny to watch.
    Imagine doing a ride along and seeing that. That would be enough to scare anyone away from the fire service.

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

At my career FD I wear my Dickie uniform pants during the "work day" and during down time I usually have on work out shorts and wear those. If we have a nightime call it is workout shorts. Year round this what I wear. never been cold with shorts on even in the delightful Wisconsin winter.

At my volly FD it's whatever I have on when the tones hit.

As for the sock thing....rubber boots wear socks....with the leathers if I have been caught in the shower when the call comes in I have gone without socks with no discomfort.

As for your new FD...Is the pants thing a rule or just a passed down tradition? If it's a rule then so be it, if not, after probation wear what is comfortable to you.

Fyredup

Forum Member

Long pants, Had shorts once and got a very small burn on lower leg. Plus the long pants dont ride up.
    FF I
    FF II
    Hazmat Operations
    EMT-B
    ---------------------------------------------------

The light at the end of the tunnel has been temporarly shut off due to the current work load. The Mangement

When all else fails USE DUCT-TAPE!!!

My views posted in this fourm are my personal views only and do not reflect on any agencies that I am afiliated with.

Forum Member

---Clothes
    Do a little dance, make a little rum, Italian Ice! Italian Ice!

Actual lyric: Do a little dance, make a little love, get down tonight, get down tonight.
    (KC & The Sunshine Band "Do A Little Dance")

My thoughts are mine alone and do not represent the thoughts of any Organization to which I am affiliated.

Forum Member

[QUOTE=FyredUp]At my career FD I wear my Dickie uniform pants during the "work day" and during down time I usually have on work out shorts and wear those. If we have a nightime call it is workout shorts. Year round this what I wear. never been cold with shorts on even in the delightful Wisconsin winter.

At my volly FD it's whatever I have on when the tones hit.

As for the sock thing....rubber boots wear socks....with the leathers if I have been caught in the shower when the call comes in I have gone without socks with no discomfort.

As for your new FD...Is the pants thing a rule or just a passed down tradition? If it's a rule then so be it, if not, after probation wear what is comfortable to you.

Fyred must have read my mind.

Career Dept - Warm months = Navy shorts during the day and gym shorts of a night.

Cold months - Dickies pants during the day and gym shorts or cotton PJ pants at night. I've never been cold while wearing shorts. Nothing is bad as putting your helmet and coat back on in the winter after taking it off to cool down. Ouch, that hurts.

Vollie Dept. - Whatever I have on. If I have jeans on I take them off and boxers it is! Just remember to keep your bunkers up during rehab.

"Nothing too graphic please, I'm going to assume you guys didn't walk around the station in your boxers, at least i would hope not."

I guess my career crew is weird. After 17:00 the station is our house, unless something is prearranged with a PR detail, we wear whatever. This includes, pants, shorts, boxers, or mopheads and a belt when new pukes (recruits) are around. If females are present we use caution with our evening wear. Our crew area is upstairs so if visitors show up we have time to put shorts on.

Forum Member

Welllll ... let's hope you guys wear your Dickies inside your bunker pants.

Back in '69 when bunkers were really just coming into style and most departments still used the old roll-up boots, we had a call at around 3 am one cold winter night that ended up embarressing the crap out of one of our Lieutenants.
    He lived just down the street from one of our stations and when the engine came by, it slowed down for him to hop up into the jump seat.
    When the fire was out and we were back at the station, all the guys pulled their coats and boots off and packed them back onto the engine ... everyone but the lieutenant. When asked about it he got red and replied that he couldn't take them off. When pressed about it he opened the front of the old canvas duck coat and all the guys roared. He had climbed out of bed and run out into the street (at 5 above zero), and hopped on the engine with just his socks and boxers on.
    Last edited by Driver76; 09-18-2006 at 04:38 PM.

Forum Member

Thanks for the advise. I keep my Dickies well protected by high cut pants, zipper, safety snap, and large overlap PBI secured with velcro. With all of the bunker material it is actually hard to get your Dickies out in the cold weather. The shrinkage factor of Dickies (pants) is enormous, because of the cotton blend, in the winter. Another problem during winter firefighting operations is managing your PEE CAN. The stream really suffers!

Forum Member

Legg's "Silken Mist" pantyhose, suntan color.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

MembersZone Subscriber

Ok, let's get one thing straight....I am in no way in anyone else's bunker pants!!! Keep your "Dickies" to yourself!

Seriously, I try to wear jeans or uniform pants as much as possible. Sometimes I wear shorts but then my legs get dirty or rubbed raw from the boots.

Also, at all times, wear socks!!!
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

This thread certainly caught my attention!!!!

Since I'm a volly, when the tones drop, it's been jeans, shorts, dress pants, sweat pants and either a dress or skirt!

Socks are a must, blisters suck! When I wear shorts and sandals and catch a run, I've got those knee high socks stuffed in one of my pockets! They make me look real cute after the call is over and packing my gear back up!
    Lieutenant/EMT-B

VSFFA Member

"I'm a CCEMT-B."

"Remember, if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off."

"A lack of effort will always lead to failure."

Forum Member

Shorts...all year round.
    IACOJ Member

MembersZone Subscriber

I've worn long johns, sweat pants, jeans, uniform pants, and dress pants, also wore shorts one time to a large grass fire....after it was out and we were back at station cleaning up...i looked down and my legs were a nice shade of black from the soot and ash being blown up the legs of the bunkers...decided then never to wear shorts under turnouts...always kept a set of spare uniform pants at the station.
    Any commander who fails to exceed his authority is not of much use to his subordinates. - Arleigh Burke

Forum Member

Our volunteer department is about 25% female. I hadn't thought about this question much until we had a call on a Sunday morning and 3 ladies rush in and drop their skirts before they put on their bunkers.

Couple of the younger guys couldn't look them in the eye for a couple days after.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by kd7fds
    Our volunteer department is about 25% female. I hadn't thought about this question much until we had a call on a Sunday morning and 3 ladies rush in and drop their skirts before they put on their bunkers.

Couple of the younger guys couldn't look them in the eye for a couple days after.
    Which eye you talkin' bout??
    IAFF

Forum Member

Default How to catch a guys attention

3 ladies dropping their skirts would've caught many a young man's (and us older fellas to) attention.

I personally like to wear the minimum. T-shirt, shorts and socks even when the weather gets cold.

Forum Member

I ALWAYS wear my uniform pants, and also I take my regular boots with me wherever I go. In fact I always take ALL my gear with me no matter where I am going. Mainly because I want to get out of my hot, sweaty, filthy, heavy bunker gear ASAP. Plus I want to be ready for the next call, and the one after that, should they turn out to be a vegetation fire, or a medical aid.

Birken

Forum Member

Same as what we wear under our kilts/On a good night lipstick on a great night two different shades
    Last edited by Chief2701; 09-19-2006 at 02:49 PM.
    [FONT=Times New Roman]Douglas R. Patton
    IACOJ
    "Omnis Cedo Domus"
    I am now a former Chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone.
    Isaiah 6:8

Thread Information