Forum Member

Default Survivor LED Alkaline Flashlight

I have done a search on these flashlights and didn't find much information on them. I am looking for some feedback on the new LED Survivor 90 degree flashlight that just came out. Anybody who has one would you recommend it? Does it cut through smoke or just light up the area around you. It seems pretty inexpensive for a Survivor but I want to make sure that it is worth the money. Thanks in advance.

Forum Member

I'm not sure but I believe that the survivor is made by streamlight? I myself are more familiar with the Pelican lights. An LED is going to cut through smoke much better then a haligen lightbulb will. LED is much more of a concentrated beam. Pelican has LED recoil technology which is even better for a concentrated beam. If you want to illuminate a room, go with a haligen. If you want to cut through smoke go with a LED, preferably a recoil LED.

http://www.pelicanproducts.ca/LED_feature.htm

^^^Some more information on recoil LED technology

Forum Member

FireandDice:

The new LED Survivor from Streamlight appears to be a nice light. The technology used with this light is a single LED, I believe with a 3 watt bulb. The light pattern is very concentrated and is very comparable to the recoil series from Pelican.

This light is also lighter weight than the traditional rechargeable Survivor, Pelican Big Ed, and Bright Star Responder. It is probably the lightest 90 degree light that I have found that actually throws out a decent amount of light. As with other new products on the market, only time will tell how the market reacts to the new product. So far, we have had a fair number of orders for this new light. We showed it at our annual open house and it received a great response.

I would like to hear feedback from others that have placed this light in service and how it compares to others they have tried.

rfd599
    www.IllinoisFireStore.com

Forum Member

The only issue I have with streamlight is the durability of their lights. They do not seem to last as long as pelican lights do. Not to mention pelican has a lifetime warranty on all their lights, and I have had problems with warranties on streamlights. Don't get me wrong streamlight has some good lights, they just don't seem to last.

MembersZone Subscriber

Purchased one of these down in Baltimore..and wont go back to the regular style survivor light. Havent had a chance to get into any fires yet with it but have used it on a couple jobs where it came in handy and was definatley worth the money. Trying to get my company to outfit our new apparatus with these lights.
    Andrew
    Firefighter/EMT
    New Jersey

Forum Member

JR:

As a firefighter and distributor, I also have had problems with a "few" of Streamlights models. My advice would be to stay on top of contacting customer service at Streamlight to get your lights warrantied, and/or checking with the distributor that sold you the lights and see if he can help.

If you need anymore info....shoot me an e-mail at dinges88@hotmail.com.

By the way, Pelican has great products but we have had some issues with a few of their models as well. Service after the sale makes a repeat customer.

rfd599
    www.IllinoisFireStore.com

Forum Member

I'm kind of a flashlight geek. I've been wanting to get a Survivor LED for a while now. Supposedly it has the same circuit and reflector design of the propolymer series. I have a Streamlight Propolymer 4AA Luxeon light and it is a staple among the flashlight geek communitee. During the 4th of July I used several lights and the Propolymer 4AA did the best of the LED at cutting through smoke because it has a very tight center beam. Much tighter than most LEDs. Still the best lights were my Xenon lights like the Streamlight Scorpion or my modified maglight. Most incadescent lights will be able to have a much tighter beam and throw their light further through smoke that most LEDs. Also LEDs almost pure white light really has a tendency to bounce off smoke.

If what I read about the Survivor LED having the same circuit and reflector as the Propolymer series then, it would be a great light for firefighters. It will have a regulated voltage so the light WON'T DIM for abought 4-5 hours. It will stay consistantly bright. And you never have to worry about blowing the bulb like a regular incan survivor.

As to Streamlights Warrenty service. I have had to use it just a handful of times and they never asked questions. I just said it was broke and they had me ship it to them, the fixed it, then sent it back. According the Streamlights website, the Survivor LED has a "No Excuses" Lifetime Warrenty.

clipse
    Last edited by clipse; 09-19-2006 at 10:41 AM.
    http://forums.firehouse.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=181526&dateline=11930  75762

Some Guy

Survivor LED from there web site:

Ultra-bright, 3 watt LuxeonŽ LED has 50,000 hr. life with 65 lumens. No need for spare bulb.
    Deep-dish, parabolic beam generator creates long-range (500 ft.), focused beam and ample side lighting for multi-use applications.
    Weatherproof, microprocessor controlled, push button switch is raised to make it easy to use with gloves.
    3 position switch: HIGH, LOW, and LOCATOR STROBE.
    Raised push button switch is recessed in polymer housing for protection.
    Runtimes: Up to 3 hrs. on HIGH BEAM. Up to 6 hrs. on LOW BEAM.
    Dual power source: 4 "AA" Alkaline batteries or rechargeable nickel cadmium battery pack (rechargeable model includes back-up alkaline battery pack).
    No tool needed to change batteries.
    SurvivorŽ LED Rechargeable models fit existing SurvivorŽ charging units.
    Rugged nylon polymer body is virtually indestructible and passes 30 ft. drop test.
    O-ring sealed for water resistance.
    The newly redesigned clip doesn't deform like metal clips!
    Grabs onto belt or clips to turnout gear for easy hands-free use.
    UL listing applied for.
    "No Excuses" lifetime warranty - the last right-angle light you'll ever buy.

I sell them on the side. It's a nice light.
    This space for rent

Forum Member

I've had one for almost a month now and I love it. It's light weight, and puts out a lot of light. The high beam, low beam, strobe feature's kinda nice (havent really used it). The only thing I don't like about it is the plastic clip to me it just doesnt have the holding power to clip it to your jacket. I tried just the clip and the light would pull off with litte effort. I ended up clipping it and then added a carbiner to keep from losing it. First impression is it's a good light for a fairly decent price.

Forum Member

Thanks for all the feedback. This is the information that I was looking for. I am still deciding between a few lights.

MembersZone Subscriber

It is a great light, especially welcome is the aa version, this significantly reduced the weight.

Forum Member

I just got one and it seems like a huge improvement in illumination. I purchased the rechargable model and it also came with the alkaline battery insert - so it can be used in both rechargable and alkaline applications. The cheapest price I found was at this website.

MembersZone Subscriber

If you are already using a regular survivor rechargeable, (I am pretty sure)you can use the battery packs and charger for the LED version (which can be purchased by itself without batteries or chargers).

MembersZone Subscriber

If I come across that mythical "extra money" I was going to pick one up. I can't go with the AA battery version though. Ive already got a survivor so the rechargable for me. I don't want to be buying new batteries after every job, 3 hours isn't that much. Recharges are free.

Sorry to bring back an old thread but I've been researching the Streamlight ProPolymer 4AA lights and can't find my answer. I already have the Survivor LED and want to know which one of the 4AA lights (Xenon, Ultra-bright White LED, or Super-high flux LED) would be the best complement for smoke and night/exterior light. I'm leaning towards the 7 LED based on lumens 34,67,42 respectivley.

MembersZone Subscriber

I reviewed this thread with much interest. Again it brings to lite a misconception regarding the lites we use. Applying basic physics, lite does not penetrate smoke, it is blocked by the products of combustion, 500ft stream of lite, not happening in fire conditions, the brighter the bulb the brighter the smoke around you is. The other joke about the advertising of all these great lites, "it will help mark your exit, making you safer"....simply out..BS. Seeing as though light is blocked completely by smoke, that is a fact, your lite will only be visible with a TIC if it produces a heat signature, those meat little blue blinking lites on your vulcan lite are useless, will not even work in an area with theatrical smoke. Lites do not create a safer environment on the fireground, firefighters do, educated ones. Just my two cents.

MembersZone Subscriber

Sorry for the spelling errors fellas

MembersZone Subscriber

Didn't the earlier versions of the Survivor have a metal clip? I seem to remember mine original one having one. I can't believe cost would have had them switch to plastic clips. That is one thing that they should change. I have a Big Ed light, it is much heavier than the Survivor. Also, the push button switch keeps getting turned on due to its proximity to my PASS. Anyone want to buy it??

Stay Safe

MembersZone Subscriber

One of the guys I work with had his survivor run over by the fire truck. He told streamlight. They had him send it in and they replaced it for free. I would say streamlight backs their products.

Forum Member

I believe lights on the fire ground do have there place in a smokey situations. If you have a new guy with you in a fire and smokey situation and this is his first fire I believe it is best if he is able to at least see the guy in front of him or behind him in those situations so he feels alittle more confindent that somebody is still there. I believe if he can't see the guys around him he will go through his bottle alot faster and panic now not everybody this happens to but some. I think he will have alot more confidence to start out with being able to see some of his firefighters around till he gets use to it. Anything you can have in those situations to help your chances should not be passed up and I do believe lights are a valuable asset on the fire ground.

Skippy you make alot of good points and this post is not knocking yours.

Thread Information