Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Do You Pay Dues?

Do you pay dues to belong to your volunteer/paid on call department? If you do how much are they and what do you get for your money?

Used to pay 5$ a year, but we stopped it about 10 years ago. Went into the General Fund.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Unfortunately, yes, and a pretty steep amount too, $20/yr. I figure that amounts to maybe $2,000/yr. or so intake when you subtract the life members (you're exempt from dues after 25 years), which really is pocket change compared to the rest of our company income (which is completely separate from the district tax base used for actual firefighting expenses). The money does go into the general fund, however, and we get quite a bit back for it, such as a nice dinner every monthly meeting night, a nice annual picnic, all kinds of toys in the firehouses like big screen TVs with hundreds of satellite channels, etc. It's a lot to make someone pay who is volunteering, in my opinion, but on balance we get it right back and then some. Let's just say I wouldn't be sad to see them do away with it, nor do I think they'll really miss it, even though I'm not too far away from life membership anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by DrInferno
    Do you pay dues to belong to your volunteer/paid on call department? If you do how much are they and what do you get for your money?
    I will give a department my free time. I will even pay for a t-shirt, job shirt, or hat, all out of my own money. and if my boss allowed me to, I would leave work and lose the income I would be making while working.

but to actually pay to be a member of a volunteer organization? well, that's just something that I find completely wrong, and would not join a department that required it.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

On the flatest land around! (In central Il.)

Quote Originally Posted by DrParasite
    I will give a department my free time. I will even pay for a t-shirt, job shirt, or hat, all out of my own money. and if my boss allowed me to, I would leave work and lose the income I would be making while working.

but to actually pay to be a member of a volunteer organization? well, that's just something that I find completely wrong, and would not join a department that required it.

I pretty much feel the same way. We don't ask for much, and we give a lot. To have to pay on top of everything would be an insult. You want me to pay to help the community. If you ever really think about it, I'm sure a lot of us end up losing a lot of money just to volunteer. Lost time at work, GAS (seems to be a big thing these days), department shirts (we have to pay for our own). I'm more than happy to give my time and everything, but if I had to start paying, well, it would probably be a different story.

We pay $1 a year. I guess it helps pay to get our membership cards printed up.
    Do a little dance, make a little rum, Italian Ice! Italian Ice!

Actual lyric: Do a little dance, make a little love, get down tonight, get down tonight.
    (KC & The Sunshine Band "Do A Little Dance")

My thoughts are mine alone and do not represent the thoughts of any Organization to which I am affiliated.

We all had to give $1 when we joined. Nobody remembers why this has been done. As for annual dues, that doesn't make any sence to me.
    Jeremy Quist
    Chief
    LVFD
    Laurel, NE

Not the end of the earth, but you can see clods falling off from here.

MembersZone Subscriber RoughRider's Avatar

We don't have to pay dues to be a member.

However, I do often have to eat a hot tongue & cold shoulder sandwich from my better half for time spent at the firehouse.
    Fortune does not change men; it unmasks them.

The grass ain't greener, the wine ain't sweeter!! Either side of the hill.

IACOJ PROUD

MembersZone Subscriber

No dues to the firehouse. We have enough problems finding members and keeping them without paying dues. On the other hand, we would find out who really wants to be there.

RoughRider: I've paid those dues at home as well.

Forum Member

Our application fee is $10, and dues are $5 up to 25 years, when they go away. Basically, it gives us a way of sorting out who's current and who can be dropped from the membership rolls. Besides turnout gear and radio equipment issued to each active member, which remain the property of the company, every active member also gets several short- and long-sleeved t-shirts, a uniform short, a job short, a polo shirt, a license plate, and miscellaneous other trinketry, all of which is theirs to keep even if they leave or retire. That's in addition to events like the company banquet, which are also free.

So, an active member will pay $130 in dues over his/her lifetime, and I probably hand them almost that much in apparel and trinkets in the first couple months after they join. It's really not a bad deal.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default No Dues Here-

Like some of the rest of you... we have enough trouble with recruitment and retention.... Let alone pay membership dues! I could only imagine what that would stir up. I do believe, the community should support local VFD's better than they do, and stop taking fire protection for granted however. If each community member in your protection district was to donate 5 or 10 bucks a year... think of the supplies, equipment, etc. your departments would gain. We rally through our community every season with chicken cook, etc. and have a very good relationship with community members... however, a membership from our own I feel is far out, We do give our time in a time of crisis!

Forum Member

We pay $15 per year. ***** ... that won't even put half a tank of gas in my van.
    We respond to a call we get $3. an hour for the time we are there. They pay once a year, and last year I was handed a pay envelope with over $500. in it. Not bad for a volunteer, hah?
    I handed it right back. Most of the guys don't even pick up our pay envelopes, instead we let them put it back into the city's general fund. Now THAT"S what you call volunteering.
    You do this job for the money, or anything other than a simple "thank You", then you you're nothing but a water squirter who hasn't got a clue as to what this is all about.
    Last edited by Driver76; 09-21-2006 at 06:14 AM.

we dont have membership dues ...we do have a FF Assn that we pay 5 $ /month to. If I had to pay to BE a member , thats FUC*in' BS.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber

Default paid ?

Driver76, I don't see the harm in accepting money, do something special for your family considering they too are sacrificing alot so that you may volunteer.
    As for paying dues, I find the concept insulting considering how many hours you will volunteer.
    Though a bit off topic, was reading about the New Jersey dept lacking equipment, it is a disgrace how little the city pays, that should be illegal, if you don't have the safe and proper equipment no one should work. Either you work safe or someone will be going to a funeral. It is sad in this day and age that depts still have to depend on fund raising to be able to pay the bills.

MembersZone Subscriber ROOKIELZ's Avatar

We don't pay any kind of dues to our Dept.

The Town and RM that "employ" us have the option of enrolling us in the VFFA in order to receive a reduction in the fees for the training schools that the VFFA host. To date, the Town and RM have always paid the fees.

If I were to pay fees, I would want them to go into a fund that relates to us directly on a personal level, for example to fund a Christmas party or to help a firefighter in their time of need. Otherwise, I could see myself balking at the idea.

I realize that we are fortunate to have such good relations and support from our "employers."
    IACOJ
    If you are willing to teach;
    I am willing to learn.

Forum Member

No "dues" in my company, or any other E/Co in the county that I'm aware of--though we all hold fundraiser activities, and everyone is expected to pitch in to help make those a success.

Just based off of community fundraisers, we seem to do pretty well for ourselves... and that money goes back to the community in terms of humanitarian donations (Red Cross, sponsoring needy families during holiday season, etc), as well as some small stuff for the volunteers (occasional dinner meetings, a Family Dinner for current and retired Co members and their families/friends), that sorta thing.

MembersZone Subscriber firedawg312's Avatar

i pay dues but not the the fire departmen persay. its to the club that is attached to us(that any property owner in my private community can be a member of) that we absolutly have to be a member of to be a firefighter(bs) we put it off as long as we can but still. $17 all it really gets us is a card and a place away from the public to go have a few beers but lately id rather drink in a public bar
    " IF GUNS KILL PEOPLE THEN I CAN BLAME MY MISSPELLINGS ON MY PENCIL" -Larry The Cable Guy-

Forum Member

We pay no dues, we get no pay and are fortunate to have a full roster of 30 and always had for the last 11years that I've been on the dept. and have always had 2 or 3 waiting to get on.

MembersZone Subscriber

Smile No dues

We pay No dues. I also get some flax from my better half and kids for going sometimes. I miss very few calls or meetings-trainnings. I reduced the amount of flax by tellinng the wife and kids all money earened goes for xmass presents. A small price to pay for lost time with family. We get $17 per call and get paid once a year in Nov.

Forum Member

I pay dues to fire companies I belong to in Pa - $5.00 a year - goes into the General fun... However I don't pay dues to fire company I belong to now in Louisiana..

I think the dues concept when first started was to initially pay for general maintenance and up keep on the stations and just continued through out the years because that is the way it was.... What is $5.00 out of your pocket a year.. Yes they get a lot of our time and we take flack at times when we miss a family function because the alarm goes off.. But why buck the system...

Thread Information