Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Toyne VS. Pierce

Okay, I need your opinion on this we are looking at replacing our pumper, which is a Darley enclosed pump compartment with a new truck. We are looking at both Toney and Pierce, Toney will build an enclosed pump compartment on a Kenworth chasse, and Pierce has the Contender that has an enclosed pump compartment. So which one do you like and also which pump, Wateruse, Darley, or Hale?

"Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Fat Toney ?

MembersZone Subscriber

Have you considered anyone else besides Pierce & Toyne? There are numerous other manufacturers that will build a top mount enclosed pumper.

MembersZone Subscriber

I may be a little biased in my opinion since we are a Toyne dealer so i won't way in on that part. As far as the pump choice, any of them should serve you well. Our department runs mostly Hale with a few Waterous. My personal preference is for the Waterous. The Waterous is probably a little more expensive than the Hale and the Darley should be a little cheaper than the Hale. See who has the best service in your area and let that way in your decision. As for the truck, get what gives your department the biggest bang for the buck and get it the way you want it, because if you don't get exactly what you want you still have to use it for the next 20+ years.

Forum Member

No matter who you go with what makes for a good purchase is two things. A good spec and a good dealer. A good spec lets you see if the companies bidding your appratus are comparing apples to apples. With a good spec its easy to see that sure company ABC is $50,000. cheaper than company XYZ, but ABC took 6 pages of exceptions to what you want. Then you can decide what if you can live with the exceptions or go with the other bid.

You also have to factor in the dealer, would you buy a new car from a dealer with no service department? No. Why would you buy something that cost as much as a house from a dealer who can't service what he sells? Our dealer has 10 on road service units with 24 hour a day service, a facility for major repairs, all his employees are certified to work on all brands of pumps, engines, and facotry certified to do warrenty work.

It takes time to do the homework but its worth it in the end.

Forum Member

Well personally Iím in favor of the Pierce Contender. However, Iím very open minded someone could you give me a list of different companies that make a midship enclosed pump like the Pierce Contender that does not look like it has a lunch box behind the cab. I would appreciate that greatly. Iím not hot on having to talk though a small hole to talk to the driver or the officer in the front. I would like to see a truck with one large open compartment that has less road noise, more visibility with no dog house between the driver and the officer.

Forum Member

http://www.piercemfg.com/company/newsstory.cfm?ID=155

imo that is the best looking enclosed pump panel on a commercial.

It looks like Kenworth designed it that way unlike some other manufacturers (we've all seen those gaudy lookin things) that indeed look like lunch boxes.
    "Pierce: The innovator of the fire apparatus industry."

Forum Member

go to toyne's website and look at some of the recent deliveries. also, look at some of the options that you have with them. a dept. not too far from me bought one. it takes alot to impress me and my dad with firetrucks anymore (dad built for s&s). this truck was damn amazing. cicero, indiana. www.toyne.com
    check it out and give them a good consideration

MembersZone Subscriber nozzelvfd's Avatar

Stick with Seagrave!!!
    You need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the duct tape.

firefighter7160
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking What?

How put these two in the same boat. Pierce if you have the money, Toyne if you want to save. There both good truck companies.
    can you

www.pineblufffire.com

That "lunch box" behind the cab gives you lots of room for crew to move around, wider doors than what the Pierce looks to have, etc. I would also find out what that rear enclosed pump compartment is made of, is it fiberglass or metal construction? I don't know - but something makes me wonder. In this age of crew safety, I'd want all metal construction.

You're looking at a Contender, and pitting it against a Toyne which I would think would be a better built unit. I'd be more comfortable pitting a regular Pierce product (which that cab is available with) against a Toyne.

If you can get past the large box behind the cab, look at all your options. Custom Fire, Fort Garry, Rosenbauer, and lots of others will build an enclosed cab unit on a commercial chassis.

Forum Member

We spec'd our Pierce Dash, The way we had it spec'd serves us great, unfortunately we haven't had great service from Pierce, if it wasn't for our dealer we purchased it thrue, we would not have half of our problems taken care of. If your dead set on those two fine, if not, shop around.

Here is a pierce truck that is near me. You may want to contact the dept and see what they think.

http://www.maumee.org/residential/firetruck.htm
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Forum Member

zweasel,
    My dept. has traditionally gone with our local Pierce dealer. We are in the process of buying another truck but I decided to allow other manufacturers to bid. I have always been a Pierce fan but our dealer didnt present the right truck to us so we went with a Sutphen. It is a rescue style pumper with top mount pump. Not enclosed though. You should allow companies to come to you. Eone, Sutphen, Ferrara, Four Guys. Any of them, if they want to sell a truck, will come to you. just make sure you are specific in the type of trucks you want to see. In the past, our dept. would tell dealers to bring trucks, being so general, we were seeing anything the dealer had, whether it was a 75' ladder or a brush truck. Neither was what we needed at the time. Be specific, tell the dealers exactly what you want on the truck and that will help them bring trucks that suit your need. It will help your dept. make better decisions too. It did ours.

Thread Information