Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Red face Feelling those Globe Magnum's!

I'm hopefully a future probie with Baltimore City FD (just completed oral and agility). the Magums's look like they got some advancements and i know i should get use to the issued stuff first, but i'll spend the money to be safer and have one-up on the heat! anybody got'em, can't find price on site, ya think bcfd will let me wear'um? anyboby from the Balto, MD! thanks!!!

Forum Member

Might wanna get the job before the gear.

Forum Member

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by wag11c
    Might wanna get the job before the gear.
    Don't want to create any negativity here, just doing some intelligent research on the equipment i MAY need for the job i WILL be doing SHORTLY! I greatly appreceiate any positive ideas or comments! Thanks ya!

seems like a whole bunch of fancy crap youre really not going to need. Just get some Pro Warrington 4132's. Main difference between them and the 4000s is a shin guard to make life nice when youre working offa ladder. Besides, you get those magnums and youre gonna look like a fairy with the color scheme of the "future". Be a good probie and don't help yourself stand out from the crew!
    The good thing about this job is that we have done so much, with so little, for so long that we can do everything with nothing...... which is what is wrong with this job.
    KTF | DTRT

Forum Member

Default I agree

The new globe's definitely don't have anything new worth the while... They don't offer more protection and are not lighter or more comfortable than the Pro's. I've tried them on. Look at the boot, not the publicity. Every maker tells you that their boot offers the best protection, but they're all the same... except for the new cbrn boot which is a step in the right direction. I also heard from a group that tried them out that they didn't hold up very well in the field tests. Guess thats why they've taken so long to bring them to the market, after showing them off for almost a year. For a boot thats gonna go for around $275, you can save yourself some money and buy the Pros ($240)... Maybe even some Haix's ($250) or even better save yourself some real dough and buy the airboss cbrn boot ($125). The look of the globe is too glitzy for firefighters, and they have yet to be proven in the field. Stay real.

Forum Member

Wink

thanks ya, i'm listening!

Default Feeling what??? You better feel the dishes in the sink!

Are you kidding? Unless I miss my guess, if and when you start probie school you will more than likely be issued a full, complete set of Baltimore City FD bunker gear. Another educated guess: while you are in probie school they will not let you wear anything they did not issue to you. Trust me, the last thing you want to do is to stand out in probie school with your high-tech footwear. The department might even have a policy that non-issued gear is unauthorized completely, period.

Your challenge, and what you should concern yourself with, is not to be the first kid on the block to have the latest, neato, gee whiz, cool looking boots. Your challenge is to learn everything your instructors will throw at you, learn it to the best of your ability and as if your life depends on it. This job is not a fashion show, and you're not a model in a Firehouse Magazine ad.

When you graduate and go to a firehouse you will still be a probie. You will then officially be at the "bottom of the pile", before you were nothing. This is when you continue to learn the job, learn to fit in and, by the way always be the first one to start working, keep the coffee pot full and get to work in the sink. Pay your dues, then one day when you have a little time on and feel you might have earned a little acceptance in the firehouse, then and only then might you consider asking one of the senior men what they think of your boot idea. Be forewarned however...he may very well just laugh, shake his head and walk away, then tell the others and make you the brunt of every joke in the firehouse for months thereafter. Welcome to the fire service, young man.
    Last edited by Fire58Dog; 09-25-2006 at 03:03 PM.

Forum Member

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Fire58Dog
    Are you kidding? Unless I miss my guess, if and when you start probie school you will more than likely be issued a full, complete set of Baltimore City FD bunker gear. Another educated guess: while you are in probie school they will not let you wear anything they did not issue to you. Trust me, the last thing you want to do is to stand out in probie school with your high-tech footwear. The department might even have a policy that non-issued gear is unauthorized completely, period.

Your challenge, and what you should concern yourself with, is not to be the first kid on the block to have the latest, neato, gee whiz, cool looking boots. Your challenge is to learn everything your instructors will throw at you, learn it to the best of your ability and as if your life depends on it. This job is not a fashion show, and you're not a model in a Firehouse Magazine ad.

When you graduate and go to a firehouse you will still be a probie. You will then officially be at the "bottom of the pile", before you were nothing. This is when you continue to learn the job, learn to fit in and, by the way always be the first one to start working, keep the coffee pot full and get to work in the sink. Pay your dues, then one day when you have a little time on and feel you might have earned a little acceptance in the firehouse, then and only then might you consider asking one of the senior men what they think of your boot idea. Be forewarned however...he may very well just laugh, shake his head and walk away, then tell the others and make you the brunt of every joke in the firehouse for months thereafter. Welcome to the fire service, young man.
    I know what i got coming, I've been through worse, i'm ready to work, i'll do just fine! Thank you sir!!!
    Last edited by DWBCFD40; 09-26-2006 at 05:51 PM.

I forsee a rude awakening.
    Robert Kramer
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Forum Member

Thumbs down Globe Magnum

The Globe Magnum looks god awful in my opinion. I wear Thorogood leather.

Good luck with BCFD.
    Last edited by EGH128; 09-27-2006 at 07:04 AM.

It's called "tough love," kid. Learn to like it.
    Good luck in your new career. Work hard, stay focused on what's important and you'll do just fine.

Forum Member

Yes sir, thanks.

Good post. Good advice on fitting in, too.

Forum Member

I think some of the guys have it wrong. You should buy those boots, wear them the first day and buy your own leather helmet as well. You'll be fine, just fine.

Thread Information