Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: live burn

Thumbs up live burn

i got my frist live burn tonight is was cool. it was for the fire extinguisher class and we used gas and diesel fuel for the fire it was so cool and hot it started to get cold here and it felt great the heat for the fire.
    Unit 713
    Rineyville Volunteer Fire Dept
    www.rineyvillefire.com
    www.sfrtarea5.org
    www.Firefighternation.com

Member of IACOJ

Change your Clocks, Change your Smoke Alarm's batteries

On the flatest land around! (In central Il.)

Take a deep breath.

Ok, now I know your excited, but I have a funny feeling that your probably gonna see a little bit bigger fire than that one of these days. When you do, just remember to keep your cool. All the "fire extinguisher fires" I've seen have been pretty small.

Oh yeah, Congrads on seeing your first fire! I'm glad you liked it! Be Safe!!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

I do my fire extinguisher stuff tomarrow. Hope I have as much fun as you did.

Quote Originally Posted by firesideky
    i got my frist live burn tonight is was cool. it was for the fire extinguisher class and we used gas and diesel fuel for the fire it was so cool and hot it started to get cold here and it felt great the heat for the fire.
    You think that was fun?! It gets better!!!!! You'll probably stroke out when you get some good interior stuff!

Glad your havin' fun! Study hard and stay safe!

Kevin
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

Cool Thanks

Thank guys i hope i can a good firefighter when i finish college
    Unit 713
    Rineyville Volunteer Fire Dept
    www.rineyvillefire.com
    www.sfrtarea5.org
    www.Firefighternation.com

Member of IACOJ

Change your Clocks, Change your Smoke Alarm's batteries

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by fireman4949
    You think that was fun?! It gets better!!!!! You'll probably stroke out when you get some good interior stuff!

Glad your havin' fun! Study hard and stay safe!

Kevin

That was funny.
    Kid it is great to see your enthusiastic about the job. Best of luck to you in the futer be safe and stay low. There is alot more to come we guarentee it.

Just last month I went in my first fire, simulated, but fire nonetheless. And I got to wear my dad's N6A so it was one of the best days of my life.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Forum Member

Thumbs up live burn

I had my first live burn three weeks ago and like you I was completely thrilled. It was hot in there and now I really, really trust my equipment. Way too cool to put the fire out. The hardest part was getting the charged hose up the stairs, I was last on the line for that evolution and I was glad I've been working out extra. MUCH too much fun and good to have that under the belt. Keep safe.

Default Just wait

You think that was cool, just wait until you go into your first burning building. You'll get to REALLY feel the heat, see the flames rolling over the top of you, get so much smoke that you can't see your buddy who's 24 inches in front of you (You stick out your hand to make sure he\she is still there).

Yeah, live burns are cool.

Just remember, when it's real that means someones life is falling apart and they are counting on us.

Forum Member

Hey it's good to see all the enthusiasm here, and yes people will be counting on us for their LIVES. You bet I will be right with my partner, can't see much in there!

I thought maybe I was crazy to think that fire rolling over the ceiling was beautiful...since it was a live burn I knew it was controlled, in real life we'd be wanting to get that thing put out NOW.

Thumbs up Roll over

I remember when I was inside a burn and I had fire rolling over, I was alittle worried about shooting too much water up into the ceiling and inverting the thermal layering causing all my collegues to get steam burnt.

But after a bit I relaxed and enjoyed the view (When I had one to look at).

I'd guess that's the time to enjoy the view. Because in a uncontrolled setting (House / structure fire) you'd be too busy getting your job done to enjoy the view.

Quote Originally Posted by XRaysJL

I'd guess that's the time to enjoy the view. Because in a uncontrolled setting (House / structure fire) you'd be too busy getting your job done to enjoy the view.
    Getting the job done does keep you busy, but you ALWAYS enjoy the view!

Kevin
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

Forum Member

Thumbs up

bro wait til you get a snotty basement fire. 0% visibility. 100% adrenaline. your bourkes will be melted before you even get to the bottom of the stairs.
    Last edited by pipeman3179; 11-11-2006 at 04:01 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

I did my level one burn a few weeks back, standard "take your gloves off, feel the layers" type stuff at first. Some of the more advanced guys were doing hose advancement into the burn house and they were readying to do one more when I finished up. Someone asked if any of us probies wanted to act a second line in and my hand shot up. The fire was reported as on bravo charlie corner 2nd floor. We went to bravo charlie 1st floor to check the ceiling/floor (our burn buliding is 2 floors) Well we check the door and felt some heat so we called to charge the line and made entry... we found a fully engulfed room. Put some wet stuff on the red stuff and called it a day. Seems the fire was mis-reported. No big deal really but that day was when I knew for sure that I need to do this for a living and that engine work is for me.
    Last edited by FirefighterRI; 11-11-2006 at 12:58 PM.

Default The real thing

We've just had the real thing here earlier this week. A campground office building went up in flames. It was closed for the off-season so no one was inside (Thank goodness).

Minor mistakes were made like driving off in a water truck without unplugging it from the air compressor. It's amazing how much of a "Tunnel-vision" your mind can get. I say "Minor mistakes" because as long as no one got hurt or had their lives in jeopardy, they are minor. Because of the rural location it took some time for all the surrounding departments to get on-scene and so the building could not be saved.

It's times like that when you say, "Thank goodness I've had some live fire training.".

Forum Member

Couple years ago when we were doing the FF 1 and 2 skills,one of our newer members who had joined as an EMT commented after the fire suppression part that he was NOT enamored of interior work but he'd do any medical work outside.And all it was was a couple pallets set in a 55 gallon drum and set on fire.
    Even so,I am sure he'd be one raising his hand to go in and drag any of us out during a collapse or other major problem.
    It doesn't mean he's unsuited to being a volunteer firefighter,it just means that he knows what his limits are.
    Like others have said,learn all you can but remember to think before rushing in so you don't get hurt and make an already bad day even worse.
    I don't think any of us have ever had a scene where mistakes were NOT made.It just means that we have to do like Clint Eastwood said and "Improvise,adapt and overcome".
    Training can only do so much so every chance you get,pick an officer's brain or the brain of someone that's done the job longer.Practical experience should build on what the training school taught so that you fill the main mission of every firefighter:to go home at the end of the shift or,for the vollies, after the rig is back at the station and rehabbed for the next call.
    Last edited by doughesson; 11-13-2006 at 11:16 AM.

Forum Member

A couple of weeks ago I was sent into a basement to do a primary search. The fire was located upstairs and I wasn't expecting to find anything. There were three of us, one was an officer and the other doing interior for the 1st or second time. Water was starting to drip through the floors so I mentioned to the officer that we should to get some salvage tarps and he agreeded with me.

We gathered many books, a piano, media center and so forth into piles and covered them. I found out later that the people were delighted that the firefighters did this for them. And I'm thrilled because I'm starting think like a fireman, protecting life and property.

We have had quite a number of fires this year, mostly in our mutual aid areas but it has given me an opportunity to see many different situations. Several of these fires have been large surround and drown but the ones that are the most satisfying are the small ones that we keep from becoming big ones. I know I have alot to learn and a lot to experience and I make mistakes but I look forward training and doing what is expected of me. I train a lot outside of drill (state fire school). The 3rd guy in my team doing the salvage job I mentioned above started in the fire service the same month I did in 2004 but he has not had much fire school and is away at college. To be fair he is doing good for the amount of time he has available to train but the difference between our skills is big and is useful for me to guage my progress.

Everyone wants to be on the knob and make the hit or open the roof from the stick (me included) and usually they are the ones who the newspaper snap pictures of but the people who own the place don't go around telling their friends and neighbors about how thoughtful is the guy who cut a 4 x 4 hole in the roof, rather they tell them about the guys that have no name but moved their living room furnature into the garage so that it wouldn't get ruined. Don't get me wrong, ventilation is important and you have to do overhaul, it's all part of the job but starting to get a feel for what has or could be done is what I'm talking about and it is a great feeling for me to be a more useful member of the team.

Congrats on your first extinguishment, you will expand your comfort zone with every fire as they get progressively larger.

Always be the eyes and ears for your crewmembers, always remember the basics and always approach things with an open mind!

Stay safe on the job!
    TecRsq
    North Georgia

- Let No Mans Ghost Come Back To Say My Fire Training Let Me Down -

MembersZone Subscriber

About that salvage comment, my instructor told me a story this year about one day on the job. Everything was calm and under control. Then kind of a lsat minute thing he saw a painting sitting near water. He told someone to move it onto the couch and cover it. He then got a letter a few days later thanking all of them. Guess the painting was worth thousands of dollars. Just goes to show that small things like that really are appreciated. Especially when those are the people paying the taxes.

Thread Information