Thread: gauged ears

MembersZone Subscriber

Default gauged ears

I am considering gauging my ears. Do any departments have policies on this? It is not goig to be more then a quarter inch hole. Any advice on it would be appreciated.
    J

MembersZone Subscriber

You'll need to reference your department's grooming policy.

Our department has a grooming standard that addresses ear rings and piercings. I don't know the details exactly (I don't have any earings), but it if I remember correctly, it boils down to this:

1. One post or stud ear ring in each ear maximum.
    2. No hoops or dangly ear rings.
    3. It specifies a maximum size of stud (width) but I don't recall what that is.
    4. No other piercings allowed that are visible outside of the uniform.
    What if the hokey pokey IS what it's all about?

Apparatus Operator
    Salem Fire Department
    IAFF Local 314

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mcfd45
    I am considering gauging my ears. Do any departments have policies on this? It is not goig to be more then a quarter inch hole. Any advice on it would be appreciated.
    J
    Yes we have a simple policy on this. You are not to wear any type of earring, stud or other adornment on your ears while on duty. Male, female it does not matter.
    K-9 hunt, the ultimate challange.
    EVERYONE GOES HOME
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

I am not on a department how would this affect the hiring process?
    J

Forum Member

my question is why and how big are you wanting to gauge them to?

you will probably find most departments with a policy like the two already posted.

Forum Member

My comment would be that if you want to get hired, then do all you can to get hired. If there is a doubt or question that an action might prevent it, weigh your decision heavily and consider options and alternatives beforehand.

MembersZone Subscriber

J
    Don't do it. For that matter, don't do anything that would draw attention.

When you leave the interview, you want to be remembered by your qualifications as a candidate and not as the 'guy with the ears'

MembersZone Subscriber

On the other hand, the rest of the candidates taking the test would love for you to gauge your ears, get tatoos on your face and neck and grillz for your teeth.
    Last edited by KenNFD1219; 09-22-2006 at 09:29 AM.
    -------------------
    "The most mediocre man or woman can suddenly seem dynamic, forceful, and decisive if he or she is mean enough." from "Crazy Bosses"
    -----------------------------------------------
    Genius has its limits, but stupidity is boundless.

MembersZone Subscriber

Fire department's, when it comes to hiring, are for the most part a pretty conservative bunch. Right or wrong, they are going to be thinking about what kind of public image the people they hire will portray to the citizens. They'll also be thinking what you will be doing after you get off probation.

If you're serious about getting hired I would hold off on any body modifications that could be seen in plain view. After you get hired and are off probation, and if it means a lot to you to have gouged ears, explore the department's policies. If they don't meet what you're looking for you can work to change it.

I guess it boils down to what's most important to you. Gouged ears or a paycheck.

Just my $0.02 worth.
    What if the hokey pokey IS what it's all about?

Apparatus Operator
    Salem Fire Department
    IAFF Local 314

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by KenNFD1219
    On the other hand, the rest of the candidates taking the test would love for you to gauge your ears, get tatoos on your face and neck and grillz for your teeth.
    Oh I know. When I go before the interview board I want to come in right after the smelly, gnarly teethed, flea ridden bum wearing a skirt and a I'm with stupid tee shirt. So I have decided to do this. Most earrings that aren't for gauging (normal earrings) are about 18-20 gauge. I plan on going to about 8 or 6 gauge. not to much and if I put a plug in them you can't see the hole. when my shift starts I can remove them with no worry about snagging them. Any other ideas?
    J

Forum Member

Why do you want to do this to yourself to begin with?
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

it is just something to do i guess.
    J

Forum Member

The excuse you used is as lame as a two legged dog....
    There are a hell of a lot better things to do than "gauge your ears"...
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

oh i know i just think it would be cool to do.
    J

IACOJ BOD

If you want something to do, go clean the truck or check the lockers.
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

MembersZone Subscriber

i am an eccentric so i like off the wall type stuff. please don't judge what i want to do.
    J

Forum Member

Exclamation

Well, I have to agree with my friend Cap'n Gonz. Why do you want to have holes punched in to ear lobes anyhow? Are you a female? Guess I am from the old school.

You don't say how old you are. If I was on the interview panel and I have been on many, I wold see it ear rings but would "gauge" my thoughts on how you answered the questions set forth. Plus how well you were attired. Not saying you need to have a tux on but a nice pleasant busniess suit.

You say you play to get ear rings that are in the 6 to 8 gauge range. If I am not mistaken that would be a larger type rings. Maybe like a shower curtin ring!

Don't draw any unpleasant attention to you self. Leave the ear rings at home along with the long briaded hair and don't forget to be clean shaven, that counts a lot.

Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer

Don't draw any unpleasant attention to you self. Leave the ear rings at home along with the long briaded hair and don't forget to be clean shaven, that counts a lot.

I am 19 and i am bald. when i go to an interview i will wear a suit like everyone else. i will take out my rings. i want to know if there s an nfpa stanard on this maybe?
    J

Forum Member

I am 19 and i am bald. when i go to an interview i will wear a suit like everyone else. i will take out my rings. i want to know if there s an nfpa stanard on this maybe?
    J
    There's no NFPA standard for looking like complete oddball.
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

So basically, you want something like this?!

**Please note, that is a 7/8" gauge, not a 6 or 8.**

Personally, I would not do ANYTHING that might portray your appearance in a negative way. A FD wants to hire someone that they are confident will represent the entire Department in a positive way.
    Do it because you love it, not because you love being seen doing it.

MembersZone Subscriber

i am an eccentric so i like off the wall type stuff. please don't judge what i want to do.
    J

We don't judge. But we sure as heck aren't going to end up working with you. Do what you want, there probably will be ramifications.
    IACOJ, Flatlander Division

former FH.com member

I go by the rule of - "If your uniform won't cover it, it's probably not a good idea".

That goes for odd haircuts/colors, tattoos, piercings, and fingernail polish. (yes I've seen it).
    If you really want to stand out, why don't you do it by being a smart, fit, well motivated firefighter instead of one with just a lot of "window dressing?". I'd say this is just my opinion, but I know a LOT of other firefighters that feel the same.

Forum Member

J
    Oh, I won't judge what you do. Do what ever makes you happy. But if you are going to be "eccentric" or "off the wall" then get a tattoo that says "don't hire me" to go along with your other off the wall ideas. You might get away with it in a big city where there are no interviews, but I doubt that if you go for a face to face interview that the interviewers will be too impressed with your "individuality". Why don't you focus more on getting a job than on being "eccentric" because while I may not judge you - the hiring board sure as hell will.
    I am a complacent liability to the fire service

MembersZone Subscriber

If you go ahead and do this anyways, even after you can see that most of us are telling you that it might be a better idea not to, why did you even ask our opinion?

If you do get hired, PLEASE let us know what department hired you. I don't care if you take them out and put "plugs" in them, it looks unprofessional and you already know this because you wouldn't be asking if you didn't.

If this is so important to you, go get a job at Hot Topic.

Sorry to be so blunt. You asked, sometimes the truth needs to be blunt.
    Chris Shields
    Lieutenant / EMT
    Haz-Mat Technician
    East Syracuse Fire Dept
    Onondaga County, NY

Forum Member

I will just live on the edge and ask what it is this person wants to do ? I take it it is not just a piercing ?
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Thread Information