MembersZone Subscriber

Default How do I get started???

I am currently serving in Iraq right now and have a lot of time on my hands at different times in the month. Lately i've been trying to think of how I can get started with my career in the fire department. My wife and I are currently living in Phoenix Arizona but about a year and a half after I get back from this deployment we'll be moving to Indiana. Does anyone have any advice at all?

MembersZone Subscriber

First off, thanks for serving your country. I think it is incredible the sacrifice you and your family have made. Now on to your question. It depends on where you are planing on living in Indiana. The Indianapolis area has lots of fire departments, so does the very north central and north west portion of the state. Marion county which is Indianapolis as well as the city department (IFD) have been doing a lot of hiring lately. It seems that there is a recruit class always going on. Best thing to do is to try the departments web sites. Good luck and let me know if there is anything else you would like to know.

List of Indy area departments:
    Indianapolis FD
    Lawrence Township FD
    Lawrence City FD
    Warren Township FD
    Franklin Township FD
    Perry Township FD
    Beach Grove FD
    Decatur Township FD
    Speedway FD
    Wayne Township FD
    Pike Township FD
    Plainfiled FD
    Avon FD
    Brownsburg FD
    Greenwood FD
    Franklin FD
    Noblesville FD
    Carmel FD
    Fishers FD
    Westfiled FD

If you have any military fire fighting experience than look into the Indianapolis International Airport FD. They are going to be hiring maybe 20 or more in the next few years.

Forum Member

Thumbs up Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by usmcpeters75
    I am currently serving in Iraq right now and have a lot of time on my hands at different times in the month. Lately i've been trying to think of how I can get started with my career in the fire department. My wife and I are currently living in Phoenix Arizona but about a year and a half after I get back from this deployment we'll be moving to Indiana. Does anyone have any advice at all?
    As I'm not from Indiana, the only comment that I can contribute is "THANK YOU" for serving our Country in Iraq.

I'm sure some other Indiana members on here will be able to offer some specific advice from that area, just as zcam630 has above.
    Do it because you love it, not because you love being seen doing it.

Forum Member

Many career departments in Indiana will be hiring over the next three years because of a retirement option called the DROP. Terre Haute, Vincennes, and Evansville will be hiring.

Thread Information