Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: background info

MembersZone Subscriber

Default background info

i'm just wondering if there is anyway, during background investigations and questionairs, can a fire department find out all the jobs you have had. i can't think of a way, but it just seems redundant that they keep putting it in bold on every letter they send. how would they know if a person didn't claim a job that they held, whether it was for a year or 10 years.

MembersZone Subscriber

"Hello, ABC Company, I'm doing a background check on Trevolp for the fire department. He states he worked there from 1995 to 2005. What was that? He only worked there for one year? Thank you."

Next candidate please...
    -------------------
    "The most mediocre man or woman can suddenly seem dynamic, forceful, and decisive if he or she is mean enough." from "Crazy Bosses"
    -----------------------------------------------
    Genius has its limits, but stupidity is boundless.

Forum Member

Oh they will! I worked for one week my junior year in high school in and they found it out. I didn't put it down on the application because I had forgotten about it really and it ended up costing me big time. It was my first department I applied for, went that far, well they found it out and since I didn't put it down they said I couldn't move further because of an incomplete application. I know I have had one or two jobs I won't remember to put down, I didn't know it could go against you that bad?????
    Last edited by ACfire1; 09-22-2006 at 05:29 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

they can really get that deep into it, you worked there for one week and they found that you forgot it. well actually that is kind of why i was asking, i forgot to mention a job, i really just forgot about it because i worked there for a month about 2 years ago. i forgot to put it on my application and i go to take the written test in a month. will they really be able to find that job if i haven't ever mentioned it.

Forum Member

trevolp, yeah that one department sure did. I got into the background phase two times, one department found out and the other didn't, but I always put it down now anyway. I know I have had jobs I forgot to put down as well I am just researching on an explanation if I do forget one, should it come up in an interview or polygraph.

R.I.P K.Apuzzio 4/11/06 Fargo2722's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by trevolp
    they can really get that deep into it, you worked there for one week and they found that you forgot it. well actually that is kind of why i was asking, i forgot to mention a job, i really just forgot about it because i worked there for a month about 2 years ago. i forgot to put it on my application and i go to take the written test in a month. will they really be able to find that job if i haven't ever mentioned it.
    was it under the table or on the books? I could be mistaken but if your employer took taxes and Social Security out it will show up through the SS report as a place where you've earned income. Also if it was under the table did you pay taxes on the $$ you earned as an independant contractor? some things to consider.
    -ww

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by trevolp
    They can find out by pulling your social security records. Notify the HR department and ask them how you can update you application.
    ______________________________ _______________

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptBob
    They can find out by pulling your social security records. Notify the HR department and ask them how you can update you application.

Capt Bob, say I forget to put down a job, like in a last background, and I know in the future I'll do it again. When the panel or during the polygraph asks, how do I respond to that?

Forum Member

I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything, I'm just wondering... How could you forget a job that you worked? Whether you worked it for 1 week or 1 year. Have you considered sitting down with a piece of paper and starting with your FIRST job, list every single job you've had since then. Also, be sure to include ANY periods of unemployment. List each job and the dates held, if there are any blank time periods, either find out where you were working (and dates) or enter the dates you were unemployed. Save that paper for future reference to use when filling out job applications. This would more easily accomplished by saving the list on your computer. You all should know that EVERY job application is going to ask for this information and MOST are going to ask for you to indicate any periods of unemployment. Make your life easier... take time to make a COMPLETE list.
    Do it because you love it, not because you love being seen doing it.

Default backgrounds

As an ex-background investigator if a candidate leaves a job off I'm wondering what he is trying to hide. Maybe nothing....but we have to look and ask. Some ask for your employment for the last five or ten years it should be easy to reply to that. If they were to ask me today all of my jobs I had I can go back to 65 and cleaning an insurance office. If you try you can remember them all.
    Respectfully,
    Jay R. Dudley, Retired Fire
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Thread Information