Forum Member

Default Second Round of 1199s and 10?s

Can we use this post as away for the not as lucky as some to keep everyone up to date on when the second wave of pre-award notices come out. I take it there has not been any new 1199s since the week of 9/11...

Forum Member

I wish we knew about an upcoming "wave!" I'm in the same boat as you, but apparantly some 1199s have been trickling in since the original batch.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Very few have, but odds are they were leftovers from the first round.

We should see it either this week or next, depending on which Friday they start awarding. Round 1 is supposed to be all 2500 that were notified already and have returned their obligations, but I'm sure there are some stragglers. So the Round 2 folks will need to be put into the on deck circle in order to keep the train moving.

Forum Member

I know it was brought up earlier before rewards started in another thread and I can't find it for some reason but what was said about getting an information update message whenever logging in to check on our grant status?
    we got one way before grants started and had another one today? like I said I know brian, kurt or someone else answered when it was asked before and I can't remember what was said.

MembersZone Subscriber

The profile updates have nothing to do with whether you are getting a grant. They show up at scheduled intervals automatically.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by k3twpfire
    The profile updates have nothing to do with whether you are getting a grant. They show up at scheduled intervals automatically.
    Though seemingly at random. We probably get one less than every 12 months, while one of our neighboring depts seems to get one every 3 our 4 months. I've wondered if the software allows less frequent requests for more frequent visitors. We (okay--I) log in at least weekly even during the off-season.

Yes Kurt, i know--there is no off-season in this bidniss!!

earl (wish i got airline miles or hotel points for logging in!!)

MembersZone Subscriber

Not sur if this is the start of it or not but a client found his 1199A update this morning. Said he had been in their last week and it was not there so maybe they are getting started on round two. Start checking again folks.
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Let the games begin....

MembersZone Subscriber

Gentlemen - Start your keyboards!!

MembersZone Subscriber

We need at least one other department to verify that they have recived a NEW 1199a as of TODAY, before we start the engines and wave the green flag folks! Anybody else get one yet today?
    Kurt Bradley

MembersZone Subscriber

Can't confirm only deny.

Forum Member

Default 1199A Updates

Hey guys. I receive an email last night telling me to go to the status page and update my 1199A. That's good, but one thing. I had already done that and got a confirmation back that everything had been updated. I called the AFG help desk this morning to make sure everything was okay and the gentleman told me that a "blanket email" had went out even to those who had already updated their 1199A's. He assured that if you had a confirmation on your updated 1199A link that no further action was needed. So.....there was some correspondence sent via email last night (9/26).

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Everyone that already submitted their 1199A and it was accepted will have a View 1199A link where the Update 1199A link was. So most can ignore the email.

For those that haven't submitted their 1199A that has to be done before the question email comes or they officially award you. So you're just holding up your money if you don't get a move on. Or giving it away as some departments have done by not responding...

Forum Member

I got the questions but havn't gotten a link to the 1199A yet.

Question, our company was awarded a grant in 2004. I assume we are going to have to fill out and verify our 1199A again, or will they just use the old one ?

Thanks

Jim

PS -- got the 1199A for a different company I wrote for last night (9/26/06). Woo Hoo my first sucessfull fire engine grant.

MembersZone Subscriber

They will use the old one, as long as you do not have to make any changes to the info.

Forum Member

Check the 1199A link in your 2004 drop down menu.

"Just remember. No matter where you go. There you are!"

MembersZone Subscriber

Smile Got a 1199 this AM.

We just got a 1199 update notice this morning. This would be our first successful grant. The grant application was for a vehicle exhaust system. The really intestesting part is this application is from an EMS only agency.

From what I've heard, the EMS Agency money is harder to get simply because this is less of it to go around.

So needless to say we are really happy.

Dave
    Middlesex Ambulance
    Middlesex NY

MembersZone Subscriber

Unhappy Not meant to be mean spirited....

Quote Originally Posted by hdavid66
    We just got a 1199 update notice this morning. This would be our first successful grant. The grant application was for a vehicle exhaust system. The really intestesting part is this application is from an EMS only agency.

From what I've heard, the EMS Agency money is harder to get simply because this is less of it to go around.

So needless to say we are really happy.

Dave
    Middlesex Ambulance
    Middlesex NY

Congrats, Dave! Now that THATS out of the way...

Sure would be nice for an all volunteer totally broke fire company to get awarded just ONCE through this afg grant.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by NewAtThisGame
    Congrats, Dave! Now that THATS out of the way...

Sure would be nice for an all volunteer totally broke fire company to get awarded just ONCE through this afg grant.
    Well if it is any consolation.... Besides being a memeber of the ambulance company that was successful; I also belong to an all volunteer totally broke fire company that covers the same response district as the volunteer ambulance listed above, and the fire company has been turned down every year too.

Hoping this year will be different.

Dave

Forum Member

Unhappy Any rejection letters out yet?

I am trying to remain optimistic about our AFG, but we still have not received any information regarding this year’s application. Our department is 0/5 in this game. I know no news is good news, but curious as to when rejection letters would go out.

Forum Member

AVFD34 Don't give up, we were 0 fer 7 total before we got the Fireman's Fund grant. It now looks good for 06 AFG. Would be happy to help since were not that far apart.

Evereman Volunteer Fire Dept.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by NewAtThisGame

Our all volunteer, totally broke fire dept. is getting awarded this year. 0 for 2 till now. Good luck to everyone.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Just so we're all on the same page, broke doesn't mean anything. Budget size isn't a metric for scoring, it's budget as related to fixed costs, related to the affordability of the project. I know departments that get $10K a year and are operating just fine while still putting $2K in the bank every year for capital outlays. I know others that have $2 million budgets and spend 96% of that on salaries & benefits. If you go after this thinking that you're broke and they owe you something (i.e. welfare program), it will show in your application and narrative. And if you're lucky enough to make it to Peer Review, it won't fare there well either. Thousands of FDs that fit the 'totally broke' mode have been funded over the years.

This is an objective program, not subjective. The challenge is in ALL of the details, not just a select few.

And so we're not jumping on me for thinking I'm defending the large budget departments, I've got over half of the awards pending going to departments with less than a $50K annual budget. 2 under $3K/annually, including a tanker to one of those.

MembersZone Subscriber

I would have to concurr with Brian all the way on that, it si interpreting the priorities and sticking to them with adequete deatil for a reviewer to come to an infrmed concleusion and favorable decision in your favor. Guys if you are 0-4 on your AFG grants you are doing something very wrong. I would highly suggest that you get your education level on the grants game up to par. Those that play by the rules get funded and we prove it in here every year. There are a number of educational training seminars offered by all the grant gurus in here, get in one and learn how to win!!
    Kurt Bradley

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ktb9780
    I would have to concurr with Brian all the way on that, it si interpreting the priorities and sticking to them with adequete deatil for a reviewer to come to an infrmed concleusion and favorable decision in your favor. Guys if you are 0-4 on your AFG grants you are doing something very wrong. I would highly suggest that you get your education level on the grants game up to par. Those that play by the rules get funded and we prove it in here every year. There are a number of educational training seminars offered by all the grant gurus in here, get in one and learn how to win!!
    I certainly don't want to be arguementative, but I think that's a pretty harsh statement. Obviously, by statistics, there are A LOT of people each year that don't get funded. I'd agree that going to a seminar or having help writing the grant would help, but wouldn't go as far as saying someone is doing something "very wrong" if they're 0 - 4. It could be something simple or it could be that they just don't have the numbers for the program that they feel they need to approach. I'm sure there are a lot of people that "play by the rules" (in your words) that don't get funded. If that's the case, then EVERY grant that is written by a "professional" would be funded. I personally only know Brian and think he is incredibly skilled and plays by the rules, but know that he isn't batting 1.000.
    I hope that made sense without sounding harsh.

Thread Information