Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Default Oh Oh.... Nyc Cops Are Gonna Freak!

Doughnuts In Danger As NYC Mulls Fat Ban
    Product Found Millions Of U.S. Kitchens

POSTED: 7:19 am EDT September 27, 2006

NEW YORK -- Three years after the city banned smoking in restaurants, health officials are talking about prohibiting something they say is almost as bad: artificial trans fatty acids.

The city health department unveiled a proposal Tuesday that would bar cooks at any of the city's 24,600 food service establishments from using ingredients that contain the artery-clogging substance, commonly listed on food labels as partially hydrogenated oil.

Artificial trans fats are found in some shortenings, margarine and frying oils and turn up in foods from pie crusts to french fries to doughnuts.

Doctors agree that trans fats are unhealthy in nearly any amount, but a spokesman for the restaurant industry said he was stunned the city would seek to ban a legal ingredient found in millions of American kitchens.

"Labeling is one thing, but when they totally ban a product, it goes well beyond what we think is prudent and acceptable," said Chuck Hunt, executive vice president of the city's chapter of the New York State Restaurant Association.

He said the proposal could create havoc: Cooks would be forced to discard old recipes and scrutinize every ingredient in their pantry. A restaurant could face a fine if an inspector finds the wrong type of vegetable shortening on its shelves.

The proposal also would create a huge problem for national chains. Among the fast foods that would need to get an overhaul or face a ban: McDonald's french fries, Kentucky Fried Chicken and several varieties of Dunkin' Donuts.

Health Commissioner Thomas Frieden acknowledged that the ban would be a challenge for restaurants, but he said trans fats can easily be replaced with substitute oils that taste the same or better and are far less unhealthy.

"It is a dangerous and unnecessary ingredient," Frieden said. "No one will miss it when it's gone."

A similar ban on trans fats in restaurant food has been proposed in Chicago and is still under consideration, although it has been ridiculed by some as unnecessary government meddling.

The latest version of the Chicago plan would only apply to companies with annual revenues of more than $20 million, a provision aimed exclusively at fast-food giants.

A few companies have moved to eliminate trans fats on their own.

Wendy's announced in August that it had switched to a new cooking oil that contains no trans fatty acids. Crisco now sells a shortening that contains zero trans fats. Frito-Lay removed trans fats from its Doritos and Cheetos. Kraft's took trans fats out of Oreos.

McDonald's began using a trans fat-free cooking oil in Denmark after that country banned artificial trans fats in processed food, but it has yet to do so in the United States.

Walt Riker, vice president of corporate communications at McDonald's, said in a statement Tuesday that the company would review New York's proposal.

"McDonald's knows this is an important issue, which is why we continue to test in earnest to find ways to further reduce (trans fatty acid) levels," he said.

New York's health department had asked restaurants to impose a voluntary ban last year but found use of trans fats unchanged in recent surveys.

Under the New York proposal, restaurants would need to get artificial trans fats out of cooking oils, margarine and shortening by July 1, 2007, and all other foodstuffs by July 1, 2008. It would not affect grocery stores. It also would not apply to naturally occurring trans fats, which are found in some meats and dairy.

The Board of Health has yet to approve the proposal and will not do so until at least December, Frieden said.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration began requiring food labels to list trans fats in January.

Dr. Walter Willett, chairman of the Department of Nutrition at the Harvard University School of Public Health, praised New York health officials for considering a ban, which he said could save lives.

"Artificial trans fats are very toxic, and they almost surely causes tens of thousands of premature deaths each year," he said. "The federal government should have done this long ago."

Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press
    Last edited by MalahatTwo7; 09-27-2006 at 01:16 PM.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

Talking what does it mean

Does this mean that when the "goody two shoes" of the world and the "meddling governement beauracrats" get through dictating to the rest of us what we can and cannot eat, do, say, feel, etc. that we will all live to be over 100. Will Social Security last that long? Does anybody give s**t anymore? What ever happened to good old mashed potatoes, gravy, beef and green beans?

MembersZone Subscriber voyager9's Avatar

Thank God. I was getting sick of all that second-hand Fat.

Whatever happened to everything in moderation? Yeah, trans fats aren't that good for you, but too much of anything is not good for you. I guess it just irks me that not too many people like to put stock in personal accountability anymore.

Oh well...such is life in this day and age.
    Tom Warshaw
    Station 13 (Bethel)
    Sumter Fire Department

"Scientists believe that the world is composed mainly of hydrogen because in their opinion, it is the most abundant element. I however, feel the earth is composed mainly of stupidity, because it is more abundant than hydrogen." - Frank Zappa

September 11, 2001. We Must Never Forget.

In memory of Thomas Sabella, L-13, FDNY

All opinions stated are my own and do not reflect the opinions of my department or any organization I may belong to.

What ever happened to good old mashed potatoes, gravy, beef and green beans?
    HEY, thats what I had for lunch today! (well ok.. it was mixed veggies not beans) LOL
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyThirteen
    Whatever happened to everything in moderation? Yeah, trans fats aren't that good for you, but too much of anything is not good for you. I guess it just irks me that not too many people like to put stock in personal accountability anymore.

Oh well...such is life in this day and age.
    I learned the everything in moderation thing a long time ago.

Uh, oh. Better ban the consumption of bananas due to the fact that the contain radionuclides!
    Learn about it here!!
    http://water.me.vccs.edu/concepts/radionuclides.html
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter
    IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

Forum Member

Talking radicals

Wasn't it one of the James Bond movies with sean Connery that they mentioned "free radicals" ? Come to think of it isn't that we have a whole bunch of in this world is free radicals?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by voyager9
    Thank God. I was getting sick of all that second-hand Fat.

now that's funny

Ya, they cost bugger all to get, but a real pain to "maintain" and control. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by chuckbrooks
    now that's funny
    Twas tongue-in-cheek, but actually had a point.

I don't mind if someone chooses to partake in certain behavior that is detrimental to their well being as long as it does not affect others. Just don't expect me to pay, or have sympathy, for the results of that behavior. There are a lot of things that I think fall into this category, seatbelts and helmets being the biggest. Smoking is an example where it affects surrounding people, so I don't mind it being banned in public areas.

If you choose to eat buckets of TransFat a day, then be pround of that choice. But also be responsible for the result of that choice and don't come to me complaining that you're picked last in gym class.

MembersZone Subscriber RoughRider's Avatar

Perfect example of stupid legislation by stupid politicians.
    Last edited by RoughRider; 09-27-2006 at 02:33 PM.
    Fortune does not change men; it unmasks them.

The grass ain't greener, the wine ain't sweeter!! Either side of the hill.

IACOJ PROUD

Forum Member

Cool ok

voyager: Since we are in the mood to be serious then explain to me just who did away with the PE programs in schools and put in soda machines and fast food that is not worth spit for health. Kids today don't get any good food even at home and yes I know that there are those that cannot afford it. They don't excercise because they are glued to a video game. And no I don't expect you to pay for me becuase I have insurance for everyhting I might indulge in that will cause me health problems and no I don't need or want your sympathy and yes there are things that are for our own good but don't shove the world down my throat without asking.

Quote Originally Posted by lvwrench
    voyager: Since we are in the mood to be serious then explain to me just who did away with the PE programs in schools and put in soda machines and fast food that is not worth spit for health.
    I don't know. I've never been a member of a school board. I agree with you that the food and drink provided/available at school should be healthy. I imagine the food is unhealthy because Unhealthy food is cheap, and schools are broke. The soda probably started because no kid is going to sink money into a machine for Welch's.

They don't excercise because they are glued to a video game.
    Don't get me started on this.. it seems as though good parenting has gone out the window with personal responsibility.

... there are things that are for our own good but don't shove the world down my throat without asking.
    I think you and I agree.. did you single me out for a reason?

Forum Member

Talking

voyager: not really. I wasn't sure if you had an agenda. My apologies because I did not want to start anything it is just that I get wound up over things like eggs are not good and then they say they are okay and stuff like that. It seems that the politicians and other government agencies can't make up their minds about what is good and what is bad from one minute to the next. That and I hate frivelous laws passed that are possible infringement on my civil rights. Just look at the fuss over drugs and where they can be had at a reasonable cost compared to this country. I figure the drug companies have a vested interest in selling at a high price here compared to other countries they provide too. Have a great day voyager and i like your post with the gun.

Forum Member

Default Corporate America did

voyager: Since we are in the mood to be serious then explain to me just who did away with the PE programs in schools and put in soda machines and fast food that is not worth spit for health. Kids today don't get any good food even at home and yes I know that there are those that cannot afford it. They don't excercise because they are glued to a video game. And no I don't expect you to pay for me becuase I have insurance for everyhting I might indulge in that will cause me health problems and no I don't need or want your sympathy and yes there are things that are for our own good but don't shove the world down my throat without asking.
    Corporate America did. Fast food & soda corporations made school boards a deal they could not refuse. Sell our products exclusively and we buy you a new score board(including our logo), help pay for Astroturf & throw in some computers. Now for the latest they want to install satellite radio in school busses so they can beam ads to kids in transit. We are talking big money for cash strapped school districts.

Forum Member

Red face understood

frdlou: I fully understand the money shortages for just about anything that is needed and I can envision the day that the police and fire have billboards on their emergency vehicles so they can supplement their budgets. I wonder if I could have made a deal on the spinach for the school kids? Just enough to give them all the runs and drop about 10 lbs. Not really funny I know but I am surprised somebody didn't come up with a way to do something like that. Good old Enron and the rest of corporate America. They will feed off anything. Hey, maybe the spinach would be good for the big executives and capital hill.

There was a really good Simpsons about soda/candy at school. I wish I could remember more, but it was probably one of the funniest episodes ever.

Recently relocated to Baltimore County, MD

Thumbs up Give this cop all of the donuts he wants..Great job

Dead-eye Finest saves hostage

'Million-dollar shot' kills knife-wielding psycho

BY ALISON GENDAR, JONATHAN LEMIRE, JEGO R. ARMSTRONG and TINA MOORE
    DAILY NEWS WRITERS

A suicidal psycho held a woman at knifepoint and threatened to kill her yesterday on Brooklyn's trendy restaurant row before a sharpshooter cop felled him with a single bullet.

"I thought I'm probably going to die," Phyllis Fine told the Daily News after being held hostage during the harrowing 10-minute standoff on Smith St. in Cobble Hill. "I was thinking about how it was going to happen. I wondered, would it hurt a lot?"

Fine was within inches of her attacker, Joseph Bernazard, when a sure-shot cop - an Iraq war veteran - pulled the trigger and killed the 26-year-old man on the upscale block.

Fine said the madman, who moments earlier had sliced another women's neck, never spoke to her as he held her by the hair at 9 a.m. He instead yelled over and over, "Kill me now! I want to die!"

Unable to see her attacker's serrated knife, Fine, 54, said she was more frightened by the police guns pointing at her as Bernazard used her as a human shield.

"My focus was the guns," she said. "I was moving around a little bit, struggling in his grasp. When I did, he'd pull my hair hard. That's when I could really feel the knife."

After the bullet exploded into Bernazard, Fine said she thought: "Am I dead?" "Then I said, 'No, it's not me.' "

When Fine felt Bernazard drop, she stepped away and fell into the arms of a female cop who told her: "It's okay. It's over. You're okay."

Police officials later marveled at the marksmanship of the heroic cop, Officer Louis Gubitosi, 25, a former Marine who has less than three years on the job.

"It was a million-dollar shot," a police source said. "He was holding the woman close, right next to him, the knife right up against her throat, and the cop fires cleanly."

The saga began when, hallucinating and hearing voices in his head, Bernazard was taken to Long Island College Hospital late Friday. But he tore out his IV and walked out of the hospital against doctors' wishes. He was still wearing his medical bracelet when he was killed.

About 8:50 a.m. yesterday, Bernazard grabbed Julie Jacobowitz, 32, a social worker talking on a cell phone with a friend as she walked home from the gym.

"If they kill me, I won't have to hurt you," the Red Hook man told Jacobowitz, police sources said.

But as he spoke, he was already slicing into her neck, causing her to scream in agony near Baltic St.

"He has a knife to my head!" she cried out, said witness Rocky Rukan, 47. "I pulled out my cell phone and called 911."

A group of construction workers then confronted Bernazard, who told them, "The cops are going to have to kill me."

When police raced up seconds later, Bernazard pushed the bleeding 32-year-old woman away and ran about 2 blocks to the Met Food Market, where he grabbed Fine by the hair.v "He started yelling, 'I'm going to kill her!' " Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly said.

Cops surrounded Bernazard outside the store, not far from where Heath Ledger, the Australian actor and "Brokeback Mountain" star, and his fiancée, actress Michelle Williams, bought a multimillion-dollar home.

For 10 long minutes, the cops tried to reason with Bernazard, telling him to drop the knife. But he refused and crouched down behind Fine. Steps away, Gubitosi told his superior he had a clear shot. The lieutenant responded, "Take it" - and the cop fired the round into Bernazard's neck, police sources said.

Kelly praised the cop last night, saying Gubitosi "demonstrated the utmost professionalism under extraordinary circumstances, and in doing so, saved a woman's life."

Gubitosi is nicknamed "Rocky," said his grandmother Mary Gubitosi of Sunset Park, Brooklyn. "I'm proud of him," she said. "I'm glad that woman's okay. It's a shame it had to happen this way, though."

After the shooting, an ambulance took Bernazard back to the same hospital he had walked out of hours before. He was declared dead on arrival. His victims were not seriously hurt.

Bernazard's family said he had a history of mental illness and had taken a turn for the worse recently. "They're after me," he told his sister Yolanda on Friday night.

"I think he genuinely wanted to die," Fine said. "I don't feel angry, and I'm surprised at that. . . . This guy needed help."

Violent crime is rare in Cobble Hill. No one has been murdered in the 76th Precinct this year; four people were killed there in 2005.

After hospital checkups, Jacobowitz and Fine were released.

But before heading home, Fine met her hero. Hugging and kissing Gubitosi, she said: "Thank you so much. You saved my life. I'm here because of you."
    Tom

Never Forget 9-11-2001

Stay safe out there!

IACOJ Member

Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Thumbs up *two thumbs up for the former Marine*

Awesome job, Officer Gubitosi!

Thanks for sharing that, Tom. Nice to hear a feel-good story for once.
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

MembersZone Subscriber

Does this mean that when the "goody two shoes" of the world and the "meddling governement beauracrats" get through dictating to the rest of us what we can and cannot eat, do, say, feel, etc. that we will all live to be over 100. Will Social Security last that long? Does anybody give s**t anymore? What ever happened to good old mashed potatoes, gravy, beef and green beans?
    I eat that. Good home cooking here.

I cook with Olive Oil mostly. Best thing in the world! Olive oil and garlic...mmmmm.

I cooked home made Potatoe Fries in Wesson Oil tonight. BBQ chicken and yellow corn. Yum.

I love the holidays...all the baking and cookies!

I must add this though...

My daughters school just banned sweets for Birthdays and all candy. We are not aloud to bring cupcakes or anything. I guess there was concern about sugar highs, outside food causing illness and Kids with allergies. I don't disagree with this decision. I personally did not like it when the children were given junk food. They always had stomach aches, etc. My daughter said they must bring healthy snacks if they want to celebrate birthdays. The parents are very involved at our school. Even though I was a little surprised and thought of the good old days, I thought it was a good move.

Thread Information