Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Your Depts Logos at other Depts Testing

So what is everybodys opnion on wearing other department clothing at a department you are testing for? like at the written, or physical agility?

i'm just curious if it is a postive, negitive or not really anything at all.

simsfireR14
    Firehouse.com Guest

paid depts shirts or vollie? but eather way i dont think it matters

Forum Member

Human resources handles our testing so it does not matter what you wear. They also oversee the physcial agility portion of the testing (i.e. hold the stopwatch) so it still does not matter what you wear.

Good luck.

i think it will never be a good thing..bad eh who knows, depends

why wear it? dress to impress..you're certainly not impressing anyone wearing a department uniform while testing somewhere else

if it is at an interview..id say forget it..you want to be remembered for you're character and yourself..not that guy with the "___" fire department uniform
    Last edited by Steeda83; 09-27-2006 at 07:10 PM.

Um, this on is easy. Do NOT wear other FD clothing when testing. It looks lame and not professional.

In my opinion.

Thumbs down

DO NOT wear other dept's shirt's when you are testing for their department, how RUDE. Why would you wear another department's shirt to the test when you want to work for the dept you're testing for? Not very smart if you ask me young grasshopper!! Wear a polo shirt and khaki pant's with the polo tucked in. No backward baseball cap's, short's, muscle shirt's, flip flop's, piercings, visible tattoo's, Goatees, etc.....have some pride in yourself and look PROFESSIONAL. After all, you do want to work for XYZ Fire Department, don't you? Look the "PART".

Forum Member

You must have other clothing in your wardrobe, right?

Unhappy

::Sigh::

I miss the days when being a firefighter was just another city job -- albeit one with a lot of perks. Sure, there have always been wackers... But it just seems that there are so many more since 9/11.

No, of course you don't wear FD clothing to a test. Would you wear a Sonic or Wendy's shirt if you were applying for a job at McDonald's?

With that said, it doesn't matter what you wear to our test. It's conducted by the personnel department. However, you still want to "dress for success."

MembersZone Subscriber

I didn't want anyone in my testing to know that I was a firefighter from another dept. testing. My resume had it but the other people testing along side me did not know nor did the testers during the civil service or physical agility.

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool How we feel.......

We don't like to see somebody from another Department in uniform at our testing. If you have that much pride in your Department then why are you taking our test? Hopefully, you see how it can be perceived........

Honestly, do what you think is best for you.
    "Be LOUD, Be PROUD..... It just might save your can someday when goin' through an intersection!!!!!"

Life on the Truck (Quint) is good.....

Eat til you're sleepy..... Sleep til you're hungry..... And repeat.....

MembersZone Subscriber

I've never thought it was a good idea. i've always thought felt that why are you testing for our dept if your on a dept? does that mean you'll go test elsewhere again?

the only reason i asked the question for peoples opnion is because i see it a lot at testing positions and i was just curious as to what everybody thought about it or if it was just me being wierd.

When I read your original question at the top I first thought you were curious about wearing the t-shirt from the department you were testing for. I would be uncomfortable doing that.

After reading it again I think I take your question to mean you are curious about wearing either your department's shirt or some other generic FD garb.

At the end of the day, for a written test, it probably doesn't really matter. Definately not a good idea though for the interview.
    What if the hokey pokey IS what it's all about?

Apparatus Operator
    Salem Fire Department
    IAFF Local 314

MembersZone Subscriber

I remember seeing tables full of guys wearing their current department shirts while taking my written exam. I thought they seemed a little cocky and acted as if they had the job already. Guess what? None of them were hired. Just go casual and keep a low profile during the written test.

Exclamation

Just when I was going to place an order with whackers.com for a bunch of shirts and caps!

Look at it this way, If the tee shirt or unifrom shirt is issued by the department that you are on and you go to abc department to test for a position there, you may be in violation of your department uniform policy!

If you came to our place wearing some ones else uniform or tee we may ask you to take it off and put something else on.

Most large cities, that do issue tee-s, cap, and what other type of clothing, they have rules as how they are worn and usually not allowed to be worn in any place except while at work within your department or to and from the work place!
    OUTSTANDING

Make It Happen

Never forget 9-11-2001
    343 Brothers Who Were MURDERED!!

former FH.com member

Quote Originally Posted by IFDFFENG20
    I remember seeing tables full of guys wearing their current department shirts while taking my written exam. I thought they seemed a little cocky and acted as if they had the job already. Guess what? None of them were hired. Just go casual and keep a low profile during the written test.
    Amen, they should make this post a sticky in the "Hiring and Employment" section. I see this crap every year, it just gives the boys proctoring the exam a good laugh.

...wear your pager(s) too, and turn it/them up. If your department gets toned out, you can really impress your test mates by having it alert. That's just in case they missed your wacker shirt.
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

MembersZone Subscriber ullrichk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SAFD46Truck
    Amen, they should make this post a sticky in the "Hiring and Employment" section. I see this crap every year, it just gives the boys proctoring the exam a good laugh.

I second that. Neat and professional carries much more weight to me than another department's shirt. Or any firefighting shirt, for that matter.

If you want to impress the testers, show up early, listen to everything carefully, and have a good attitude - no excuses.
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

firefighter7160
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking Wackers In The House.....

Quote Originally Posted by SPFDRum
    ...wear your pager(s) too, and turn it/them up. If your department gets toned out, you can really impress your test mates by having it alert. That's just in case they missed your wacker shirt.
    LMAO....... Just what I was thinking. And after the test go outside and show off all the cool lights on your POV.

Well Im old school sooo...For a written test or interview you should at least wear a shirt and tie. For a practical I dont think it matters, as long as it has sleeves. Just stay away from the "Co-Ed firefighting" or "I fight what you fear" T-shirts.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Thread Information