Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mapping program

Forum Member

Question Mapping program

Hello Everyone,

I am looking for an interactive mapping system that will assist our department in becoming more effecient. What I need is a program that I can import or create all of our current maps in. As well as being able to click on an address and have it show all inspections, pre-plans or any other info that we have added. It can be either web based or server based. If anyone knows of a good program or who I could contact on the issue I would appreciate it. Thank you

MembersZone Subscriber firemannickvt's Avatar

try starting at http://www.cadzone.com

on the left click the "pre plan" button

the program you would be looking at from CadZone is called First Look Pro.
    They describe it as "Pre-plan organizer with mobile mapping."

I demo'd this program last year for our dept. Pretty easy to work with, and the support from CadZone is pretty good. It was just out of our budgetary reach.

Good Luck.
    St. Albans Town Fire Department
    Engine Co. No. 1

Forum Member

I will check it out thank you!

MembersZone Subscriber

Also if you have firehouse software you can import your fire zone preplans into firehouse so it will pull it up you can store it to the occupancy inspections.
    IACOJ
    FTM-PTB

If anyone suggests GeoLynx from VisionAir, RUN AWAY!!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

gunnyv, I am on our county 911 board and we are just receiving bids for software. Geocomm is one of those bidding. they use a product called GeoLynx. Is this the same software you speak of? Tell me why you say stay away.

Thanks, Ron

We have dispatch software from a company called Visionaire. The mapping program is called GeoLynx. I'm not sure if it is the same company. Our rigs all have touchscreen computers in them, and you are supposed to be able to pull up dispatch information, update your own status (in service, enroute, etc), and pull up maps.

The Visionair dispatch and GeoLynx maps suck. Even when the system works-we haven't gotten it to work consistently in 2 yrs-the maps are too cluttered and too hard to modify. To zoom in requires you to draw a box with the mouse around the area you want on the screen, if you don't do it right it zooms in too far and you see nothing. Our twp is 30 sq miles, and it seems like the mapper only has 3 zoom settings. The addresses of neighboring houses and apts all run together so you can't read them. You'll see the separate buidings, but the street name and numbers are so big they run together-you're looking for 35400, the screen will look like 353983540003540435408. When entering addresses, it will autocomplete the street name, but you're screwed if you spell it wrong. The street lines seem to run together and it is difficult to make out intersections and boundaries between lots and such.

We had a 15 year old map program that was DOS based that would print paper maps out at the stations when the at the same time you're tones went off. They were readable, rarely failed, and a monkey could find the address from the dropdown menus. Unfortunately, that system's company went out of business, and we couldn't modify it to add stations or track times. So we got this VisionAir monstrosity. Part of the problem is we have firefighters rotating through dispatch once a month, and many of us aren't computer saavy. I thought I was until I had to deal with this thing. You may have better results with full time dispatchers who can type.

ffemt1977

Just checked, yes it is Geocomm. Just my opinion, but I think it is a piece of crap.

Forum Member

Question

Tried the CAD Zone and it is not quite what I am looking for, any other Ideas?

MembersZone Subscriber firefighterbeau's Avatar

C-Tol is a good program. I believe State Radio in ND uses it. I'll try to find more info on contact info if you would like to take a look at it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks gunnyv. I will do more research including visiting dispatch centers they have installed software.

Ron

ffemt1977,

Lacrosse, WI uses it in their County 911. I believe Reedy Creek FD (Disney World) does as well.

MembersZone Subscriber

In our area ARCview GIS seems to be the program of choice We have it but are not fully operational as we are awaiting new aerail photo's. The program lets you use mapping and aerail photography. When you find the property you're respoonding too, you click on it and all the info thats been entered is avcailable. Our tax assesor and code office use this so the information was readily available and updated all the time.

Thread Information