Thread: New FF in Ohio

Forum Member

Default New FF in Ohio

Hi, I am a new volunteer FF, 48-yo female. I am on the Fire Team at work and also have just interviewed with my township fire & rescue. This is the most rewarding work I've had in a long time. Also feel great to be able to do this at my age, working hard at staying in shape, keeping up the endurance and upper body strength work. Keep safe everyone.

Forum Member

Welcome aboard!! Also a Volunteer FF in my forties (even though I started in my early thirties). And also on the Emergency Response Team at my (manufacturing) company.

Good luck on your interview. Take care and stay safe!!
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Forum Member

Default hi and thanks

Hi FireNut, we have some things in common. What differences do you find physically in your forties vx your thirties in doing this job?

I'm biting my nails down waiting to hear back from the firehouse. The interview went well, great folks and three beautiful engines. They have to have their monthly meeting and then I should hear something.

Does your work ERT actually get to do anything? I'm taking First Responder because we get mostly medical calls at work, which is also wonderful. But they haven't had a fire to fight in forever. That's a good thing, of course....just no action for the FF's! LOL

Forum Member

Default hi and thanks

Hi FireNut, we have some things in common. What differences do you find physically in your forties vx your thirties in doing this job?

I'm biting my nails down waiting to hear back from the firehouse. The interview went well, great folks and three beautiful engines. They have to have their monthly meeting and then I should hear something.

Does your work ERT actually get to do anything? I'm taking First Responder because we get mostly medical calls at work, which is also wonderful. But they haven't had a fire to fight in forever. That's a good thing, of course....just no action for the FF's! LOL

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by enginegirl
    The biggest difference is that aging sucks

Keep your chin up.
    We have mostly medical calls (mostly illness, a few trauma). Occational fire. We are also trained on Hazwopper and Confined Space Rescue.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Forum Member

Smile Ert

Hi FireNut, you have a lot of good training!

Our ERT is kind of quiet, but our building is mostly men in their 40's and 50's so we do see occasional heart attacks. Some cuts, slips and falls, etc. So this is a big reason why I want to be on the township team. Work said they would pay for me to get EMT-B so I'm going for that too.

As for aging, well, it's better than the alternative! I lost 45 pounds this year but now I need to add more strength.

Good luck in all you do and thanks again for the encouragement.

Forum Member

Welcome to the forums and good luck with your future career goals. I agree with firenut
    originally posted by THEFIRENUT
    The biggest difference is that aging sucks
    I volunteer with the fire department but I work offshore as a Paramedic...

Again welcome and Best of luck

Forum Member

Default hi and thanks

Hi LouisianaFireNut, thank you for the kind words. Actually I like aging, this age is good. I still didn't hear from the firehouse - I called up there tonight and they said the chief has my application and the monthly meeting is next week. I am on pins and needles.

In the meantime I signed up for another live burn next month, got to keep those skills going.

This is a great site. Keep safe.

Forum Member

Welcome aboard enginegirl....I hope you enjoy your time with us

Forum Member

Thumbs up

In the meantime I signed up for another live burn next month, got to keep those skills going.

This is a great site. Keep safe.
    Hey, where in Ohio are you? I'm over here on the eastern edge.

I'm on a career department, and we're not all that busy, fire-wise. had a little over 3400 emergency calls last year in the department (3 stations) and I'll bet 3/4 of them were medical. If you don't keep up with your firefighting, being on a slow department, fire-wise, you'll get rusty and forget your training. Even just reading and reviewing, once you've got the training down, will help, because it keeps the procedures fresh in your mind.

Good luck! (and BTW, I'm 50, with a total of 24 years in the fire service! Don't let 'em tell you 48 is old! You're just getting started!!)
    E-4-A
    IAFF 1176

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Hi and thanks!

Hey Ed, I'm in the SW about 35 miles E of Cincinnati, rural area. LOL on the age encouragement - thanks for the kind words, especially saying that I'm "just getting started." That's great to hear! So if you are still having fun and feeling good at 50, there's room in the fire service for all of us in our 40's, 50's and even 60's as long as we keep working out, eating right, and being able to do the job.

Also I agree with you on keeping up on the skills. I'm on the fire team at work, but we never have a fire. I can't wait to hear from the local fire dept so I can get some real experience. You're right, though - even here most of the calls are medical. I'm just completing First Responder and my work will pay for me to get EMT-B.

In the meantime on the fire skills, these live burn days and studying will have to do.

Good luck to you too, and thanks again for the encouragement!

Forum Member

my father still doing it and he's 64..

MembersZone Subscriber

Default :-)

Thanks LM, now THAT'S encouraging! I hope I can do this for a long time too. This week the local dept has their monthly meeting - hope I hear something soon. You and your Dad keep safe.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default welcome

Welcome aboard engine girl. I am a youngin, but don't let them tell you 48 is old. It is not. Carry on and keep up the good work.

Jason

MembersZone Subscriber

Default thanks

Jason, you're very kind to say that. I hope you have a long happy career in the fire service. I wish I had found this work sooner, but better late than never. :-)

MembersZone Subscriber

Smile got the call

Hi, got some happy news. The township fire & rescue is taking me on and I get my gear tomorrow night. They are also setting up an interview with my husband. It's all in the family now. We are all volunteer. I am very excited especially at this age.

I just got back from running on my lunch hour. Got to stay in shape so I can do a good job. Very happy to be joining all of you. Stay Safe.

Forum Member

Congratulations enginegirl1!!!!

I have noticed a lot of spouse teams in the volunteer fire service. It is a great thing to experience together. Take care and stay safe!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Smile thanks!

Thanks FireNut!! They called us up to the firehouse last night and we both got our gear. They spent about 3 hours talking with us and showing us the apparatus. They were very welcoming to us and we are PUMPED!!

I agree, this is a great thing to share as a couple. No one feels left out.

So have 120 day probations and then they're putting us both through FF1. I have my volley certificate but as we all know that's just enough to get into trouble. :-0 Also my day job is paying for my EMT-B, I have First Responder already.

We can learn a lot from these folks - they all have many years in and we are green as grass. :-)

Thanks again for the encouragement!! Stay Safe.
    Best wishes,
    Amy in Marathon, Ohio

Forum Member

Congrats enginegirl1 - Stay safe....

MembersZone Subscriber

Default thanks!

Thanks LM, so excited. We've been spending time at the station learning the apparatus. Still no fires since we joined, very quiet week out here! Stay Safe.

Forum Member

Default Ohioan here!

Quote Originally Posted by EdShanks
    Hey, where in Ohio are you? I'm over here on the eastern edge.

I'm on a career department, and we're not all that busy, fire-wise. had a little over 3400 emergency calls last year in the department (3 stations) and I'll bet 3/4 of them were medical. If you don't keep up with your firefighting, being on a slow department, fire-wise, you'll get rusty and forget your training. Even just reading and reviewing, once you've got the training down, will help, because it keeps the procedures fresh in your mind.

Good luck! (and BTW, I'm 50, with a total of 24 years in the fire service! Don't let 'em tell you 48 is old! You're just getting started!!)
    Hey EdShanks, I'm from SouthEast Ohio. Ever been to Marietta?

Thread Information