Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default What do you think of this?

I'm a new industrial firefighter, in a dept. that I'm beginning to think SUCKS. When I first started we worked 24's, now for no good reason the company has switched us to 12's...just because they said they don't like us working 24's. There are 9 guys in our dept, 3 on duty at a time...so we're working some OT here.

When I was first hired I told them I'd be in school still for the next 3 years until my masters was finsihed. They were VERY enthusiastic about it, and told me "whatever you need to work you can, your education is your most important priority". They told me I would start out at $2500 per month for 40hrs, then get my OT pay as well.

Now, three months since I've been hired:
    -There is no sleeping in the station on nights...eventhough there is NOTHING to do.
    -They don't work with my school schedule, the chief told me the other day to "suck it up" when yelling at me for not wanting to work 60hrs with school.
    -They are screwing me on my pay, I get $2200/ month, not $2500 as my base pay. When I addressed this they gave me this big BS formula on how they pay me that...End result my paycheck doesn't say $2500 per month.
    -I get called about once a day, at work or not, and it doesn't matter if it's my off days or not...to come in, and get yelled at for not...even if I'm in class.

Any advice?

signed,
    fed up

MembersZone Subscriber firedawg312's Avatar

wow that sucks man i wish i coould help. maybe try for a transfer??
    " IF GUNS KILL PEOPLE THEN I CAN BLAME MY MISSPELLINGS ON MY PENCIL" -Larry The Cable Guy-

Hey Brother.

Been there done that. Industrial FDs treat their employees like crap...as you have figured out. The Federal, city and county fire depts are better.

Federal FFs work 72 hour weeks and get great training and good experince and pay. They have been working hard to get a workweek reduction for year, success should be around the corner.

City and county depts work 42 to 56 hrs on average. Good training and great pay and experince.

Look for employment with the feds, city or county goverment because they have set hours and pay based on a contract.

Education is important so keep working toward your degree. Many of my coworkers do online classes or duty trades to attend classes at a local college. Industrial is a good place to get your feet wet, but work toward federal, city or county fire departments.

Good Luck!
    "Firefighters do not regard themselves as heroes because they do what the business requires.Ē

Chief Edward F. Croker, FDNY

Thread Information