Forum Member

Default Mask condensation - how to prevent?

OK, I realize with all the smoke we can't see anything anyway, but what do all of you do to prevent condensation inside your mask? At least moisture on the outside of the mask can be wiped away, but the stuff INSIDE the mask is a pain. Suggestions?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by enginegirl
    OK, I realize with all the smoke we can't see anything anyway, but what do all of you do to prevent condensation inside your mask? At least moisture on the outside of the mask can be wiped away, but the stuff INSIDE the mask is a pain. Suggestions?
    Stop breathing.

Consider getting a nose piece for your mask. They help a lot.

Kevin
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fireman4949
    Stop breathing.

Kevin
    I'll have to try that one

One question......

FOR HOW LONG??????
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by THEFIRENUT
    I'll have to try that one

One question......

FOR HOW LONG??????
    ...You'll know!
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    "Fir na tine"

MembersZone Subscriber

Once you turn the air on, it usually goes away. The nose cup is a big help. I know Scott used to have a plastic insert that stuck to the inside of the mask to help with that but I don't know if they are made anymore.

Forum Member

When I dabbled in snorkeling,I learned to spit into the mask and rub it around a bit to cut down on fogging up.
    Most SCBA rigs have a nose cup that cuts fogging and there are anti fogging wipes on the market.Brigade Quartermasters is the only catalog I can think of right now that carries them.
    That and keeping up with cleaning the mask after using it will go a long way to keeping down the fog.

MembersZone Subscriber

At one point in time, Scott offered an anti-fogging product for their masks. We found a product that was made for eye glasses that worked just as well, Just rub it on and wipe it off and it worked great. Unfortunately, it's in my desk drawer at work and I can't remember the name of it. You may want to check with you local SCUBA diving shop. I know they typically carry anti-fogging stuff for the masks that they use, too. (And it is usually waterproof, which help out)

Hope this helps,
    Mark

Forum Member

Default condensation

Thanks everyone. I used to scuba dive and we spit in our masks, but then would also rinse it once with sea water before donning, and that worked great against fogging. No sea water on the fireground, but I will give the spit a try....

Fireman, why didn't I think of not breathing?! That solves the whole issue - no SCBA needed at all! So much lighter! LOL

Also the nose piece and Scott spray sound good, I'll look into those.

Thanks again to everyone. Keep safe.

MembersZone Subscriber

enginegirl

I finally dug into my drawer at work and found the stuff that we've been using with good success. It is called Anti-Fog from World Optical. You can even buy it on the internet now....

http://www.world-opticalproducts.com/anti_fog.html

Give it a look and see what you think.
    Mark

Forum Member

Default hurrah!

Hey Mark thanks for looking in that drawer! That stuff sounds like just the ticket, many thanks!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kidd192
    enginegirl

I finally dug into my drawer at work and found the stuff that we've been using with good success. It is called Anti-Fog from World Optical. You can even buy it on the internet now....

http://www.world-opticalproducts.com/anti_fog.html

Give it a look and see what you think.
    Mark
    That stuff has been around forever! I remember we had a jar of that when I was a kid over 35 years ago. The container and labeling even looks the same.

It does work well, and a single jar will last a long, long time.

Kevin

(edit) Looking at the label again, I guess it was only 32 years ago!
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    "Fir na tine"

Forum Member

usually with the air on it doesnt fog up much..and the newer AV-5000 scott masks tend not to fog up at all..sorry if im repeating what some1 has already stated

Forum Member

A common problem with face pieces fogging up is that some members put them on too early - that is, while enroute in the rig or while a manpower staging pool awaiting an assignment. I have seen many firefighters do this and this will definately cause a fog-up. Personally, we place our face piece on the regulator and put it on just before we enter the smoke filled environment. There may be some SOG's in effect that specifically spell this practice out, but what we do works for us and we have very little complaints about the face pieces fogging up. I hope this helps.

Forum Member

Default that's part of the problem, then

Lieu4Life, I know I've put the mask on too early, then. Thanks for the good advice - anything to cut down on that fog. I appreciate the help.

Forum Member

If you crack your bypass valve slightly it acts as a "defroster: and will clear up the fog. As for anti-fog....I use dish soap. Put a small drop in your mask and buff it with a lint free cloth till it is clear. Works like a charm

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by enginegirl
    Seriously....deal with it and press on.
    IACOJ Member

Forum Member

Default thanks

Frmboybuck, thanks for the suggestions on the bypass valve and the dish soap. As a newbie it helps to learn from those with experience!

Forum Member

One word of advise EngineGirl.....Be very selective about when you crack the bypass valve. The more you do it the more air you use. There might come a time you wish you had that air back. Just dont over do it. Good luck and stay safe!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default love that air

FrmBoyBuck, that's good advice. I realy love having lots of air, LOL. I did a live burn last month and we used up a lot of air just getting the charged line up two flights and around a bunch of corners. So keeping the mask clear wasn't as important as having enough air to fight the fire on each floor! Thanks for the reminder. "Air is good, air is good..."

Forum Member

Also remember to use your skip breathing.....Im in the habit of using it everytime I have a mask on. If you get into the habit of doing it you can make your air last a long time compared to most

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by doughesson
    When I dabbled in snorkeling,I learned to spit into the mask and rub it around a bit to cut down on fogging up.
    Most SCBA rigs have a nose cup that cuts fogging and there are anti fogging wipes on the market.Brigade Quartermasters is the only catalog I can think of right now that carries them.
    That and keeping up with cleaning the mask after using it will go a long way to keeping down the fog.

Brigade quartermasters, I havent gotten one of those catalogs in FOREVER! I need to order one of those................back to your regularly scheduled programming.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Thread Information